550 Interference with DAB radio?!!

Will do, I've got a selection of ferrites now, from a 3mm to a 10mm diameter, so I'll have a play around when my wife returns with my car :D

just to add in, I fitted a combination of 4turns in a 10mm ferrite, and 1 turn in a 3mm and the issue is exactly the same.
am going to have to re-route along the floor now, which is a real pain for me, so it had better fix the problem.

ok, rerouted.
and its much much better, but the 'low signal' stations are still lost completely.
going to have a coffee, then go and add the ferrites back on, just incase there is a small effect which might 'just' be enough.

well, this was odd...
  • unit power unplugged and rear cable unplugged - active (but weak) signal
  • unit power unplugged and rear cable plugged in - signal lost!
  • unit power unplugged and rear cable plugged in with ferrite at cam end - signal lost
  • unit power unplugged and rear cable plugged in with ferrite at rear cam end - active signal
  • unit power plugged in and rear cable plugged in with ferrite at rear cam end - signal lost
  • unit power plugged in and rear cable plugged in with ferrites at both ends - signal lost
  • unit power plugged in and rear cable plugged in with ferrite at rear cam, and one on the power cable - signal lost.
I found it very odd that it cut the signal without the power connected.
also notable that the ferrite only had an effect when at the rear cam end.??!!

Remember its the Rear Cam that is creating the "noise"...

I currently have two Ferrites with one loop in each and that has made things a lot better for me.

I know it's the rear cam creating the noise, but it's creating interference when there is no power to the unit... very odd!.
So, you put 2 ferrites at the rear cam end? I could add in a second one I guess, but it's getting pretty unsightly back there!

Last edited:
As time goes on, I'm seriously thinking swapping out the unit to something else.
I was reviewing some footage tonight, and I've got about 6 hours of daytime footage where the rear cam is black - it has recorded as it 'faded' out you could see a silhouette getting darker and darker until it was all black :(

My worry is that DAB interference probably isn't on any manufacturers test list and therefore I can't guarantee it won't happen again :(

I doubt anyone will get it for free.
But I'm a little sceptical about this - as much as I want it to resolve the issue, I just don't have a huge amount of confidence left.

It is on the comments for the review of the 550 in their news feed.

Just a comment but DAB seems a very flaky type of communication anyway. Its either there or its not, no in-betweens

We have just bought 2 Sony DAB+ radios for the house.

Have one in the bedroom and whilst lying in bed it works fine, if you get out of bed and move around the room it will cut out if you stand in certain places, which bear no relation to where the signal is coming from.
For those in the UK if you Google DAB radio aerials there are a couple of websites that are pretty technical and deal with interference etc
Might give some insight into your problems

My blackvue dr550 will be going back blocks out DAB plus there is something wrong with recorded sound hissing and squealing starts after the first few recordings in and out of the car with different power supplies and latest softwate updates 1.0019.cant wait around for DAB problem to be fixed going to get the blackvue dr500 instead

My blackvue dr550 will be going back blocks out DAB plus there is something wrong with recorded sound hissing and squealing starts after the first few recordings in and out of the car with different power supplies and latest softwate updates 1.0019.cant wait around for DAB problem to be fixed going to get the blackvue dr500 instead

A Dr350 like I use in the rear would do and only about $120 as well No wifi though

rickyablack he 55ost: 41902 said:
My blackvue dr550 will be going back blocks out DAB plus there is something wrong with recorded sound hissing and squealing starts after the first few recordings in and out of the car with different power supplies and latest softwate updates 1.0019.cant wait around for DAB problem to be fixed going to get the blackvue dr500 instead[/quote

UPDATE
Ok got rid of blackvue dr550 because knocks out DAB radio and lots of interference back ground noise on playback tried all the fixes moved cable used ferrite cable things but in the end the cable is not long enough for me to route it where it needs to go.I have sent emails to blackvue. Co.uk asking about new type of cable for the rear cam but they have not got back to me.Also the socket is not strong enough to be unplugged as my 550 socket snapped off when unplugged. I have the 500 version now so gets rid of all the above problems

Last edited:
Will only let you know that I feared to install the DR550GW-2CH after having read this thread...

BUT I do not have any issues with radio (not DAB but UKW = VHF in Germany) in my car, puhhh....
Currently formatting 64GB Sandisk, hope all will be fine ;-)

Your Car / Car Radio may have a Double screened cable.

Back