Mobius requests

Look at the thread about Mobius mount solutions if you want to solve the problem now.
I will add your request.

enjoy,
Mtz

I really need a video mode that shoots in 3/2 format using the full area of the chip. Obviously this will need to be scaled down much like the 1080p 16/9 footage is taken from the entire width and scaled down. Is there any way to contact the developer about this possibility directly?

I do have an interesting idea for a feature, "Security Camera Mode". If activated, the camera would take a frame every (1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4, or 8 seconds) and record it to a 1080/30p video. Like the car camera video, the oldest file is deleted. This would allow the user to set up the camera at home or work and record events in time lapse (security camera mode), and if something happens review the videos in fast motion to see what happened. It could be an additional market for the camera.

The 808 #16 had this feature as 720p@5fps. I think the developer will add this too for the Mobius also for 1080p or maybe just for 720p because is more reasonable. The 5FPS recorded video was played at 30FPS, but when editing it you could use the real 5FPS.
Added as F06.
I really need a video mode that shoots in 3/2 format using the full area of the chip. Obviously this will need to be scaled down much like the 1080p 16/9 footage is taken from the entire width and scaled down. Is there any way to contact the developer about this possibility directly?
Send an email to the ebay seller. I don't know why you want an 3/2 recording. If you want a 4:3 AR you can use the video out setting feature from the mSetup.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I added the F07 request which is about starting the Parking Mode when power is disconnected from the USB connector (engine OFF). This feature needs the battery inside the camera, not the super capacitor.
I don't know how the developer will implement the video recording during parking mode, so a request about some recording mode can be made after this will be available.
But I am already thinking to some solution like: Motion Detect or Continuous Recording for the parking mode. Of course for the Continuous Recording the video properties must be lower, something like 720p@5fps. I don't know how long the battery will last in this mode so I think is better the Motion Detect mode. But we also must think that in Motion Detect mode will be some delay in starting the recording after the motion was detected.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thinking more:
On the cradle/mount..... I think you could make it bidirectional.

• Put notches at both ends of the camera.
  • Make the lip at the end of the cradle low enough so it clears the lens on the front and the USB on the rear.
  • Or make the lip only on the left side, so it clears the lens on the front and the USB when reversed.

That way, you can slide it in either way.

Of course, these are production changes to the molds, so they would not happen until the next model, but....

The 808 #16 had this feature as 720p@5fps. I think the developer will add this too for the Mobius also for 1080p or maybe just for 720p because is more reasonable. The 5FPS recorded video was played at 30FPS, but when editing it you could use the real 5FPS.

I think BobDiaz is talking far slower than 5fps, so as to have enough memory for many hours....

Not only card space, but also battery.

About the bidirectional mount I already have my solution with pictures in the Mobius mounting solutions topic.

enjoy,
mtz

The 5 FPS is good, but only compresses the time by a factor of 6. At best 2 hours of normal recording would only be 6 x 2 hours = 12 hours covered. Good, but if you don't see a problem right away, it could be erased.

When I listed, "take a frame every 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4, or 8 seconds", that would be a 7.5x, 15x, 30x, 60x, 120x, & 240x time compression. Assume 2 hours normal recording, the time compression would shift that to 15 hours, 30 hours, 60 hours, 120 hours, 240 hours, & 480 hours. The slower frame rates would cover longer periods of time.

In the security camera mode, external power would be required in order to get the long recording times.

The feature is for a home or business that wanted a low cost security camera. ... Just an idea.

2 hours of normal recording corresponds to about 16GB SD card. use of a bigger card can also give a longer cycle.
8, and even 4 seconds is a pretty long time. theres a high chance valuable information will be missed at those rates. after all what you would be trying to catch (burglars, vandals) usually won't take more then a few minutes, and spend only a small portion of it around the camera.

The Mobius have also the Time-Lapse feature, starting from 0,25s up to 60s. The difference is because in this mode is creating a lot of JPG files compared to a single video file. Also in JPG there is no sound and if somebody want to make a time-lapse movie from that pictures he will need another software and time spent to create the needed video.
With the 808 #16 camera, one minute of 720p at 5fps and 10mbps is about 7.5MB/1min. or 450MB/hour, so we can have more than 2 days for a 32GB card.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz,

When recording still photos, does the Mobius act like the video mode and delete the old files OR does it stop when the memory card is full?

For Mobius I don't know, but for 808 #16 the feature works until the card is full. This is not good if the user want to combine dashcam recording with time-lapse because the available space for video will be reduced.

enjoy,
Mtz

Don't people find it a PITA to keep taking their cam in & out of the car each time?
I just like to fit & forget - just get in the car, fire the engine & go. I really CBA to mess about plugging things in...

I upgraded to 0.53 and was struck with a thought based on JPG flipping.

The video modes now have two unshared parameters.
Why not allow them to have two other important unique parameters: flip and sound...?

UPDATE:

I did not see it Friday while using the GUI , but today I looked at the 0.53 SYSCFG, and the movie flip parameter has provision to flip the 2 modes independently. Not so sound, alas, but maybe that will be added later. It's the less important of the two parameters.

My reason for the sound is 99% of the time I don't want it but if/when I stumble across something where I do, switching to that mode would be easy.

Update ^2
Code:
Movie quality=[0];set movie quality,set movie data rate,0:Super,1:Standard,2:Low,
Movie high dynamic range=[0];set movie high dynamic range,0:off,1:on,
Might be nice if they were individually settable as well.

Last edited:
For Mobius I don't know, but for 808 #16 the feature works until the card is full. This is not good if the user want to combine dashcam recording with time-lapse because the available space for video will be reduced.
So we should experiment and see if video overwrites JPG files. I agree it shouldn't.

{discussion on datesetting in CONFIG}

I thought about this some more yesterday. I was at a client's, and used a idle XP box to try the GUItool for both the 0.53 upgrade and fiddling; vs. editing the CONFIG file.

I realized that the biggest thing that annoyed me about the date issue is saving/loading the file back & inadvertently resetting the clock to an old value.

So my idea is this:
Make the Date line written out to flash invalid enough so it will NOT be accepted & processed when loaded, just ignored.
You have to fix it to make it valid.

This could be one of many forms:

• Date time=[????/??/??-??:??:??];date time setting,format yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss
  • Date time=[2013*06*28-21:33:34];date time setting,format yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss
  • Date time=[?013/06/28-21:33:34];date time setting,format yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss

and others. Assuming there's a value to have the timestamp of when the CONFIG was saved rules out the first.
But any other alteration could work.

Not only card space, but also battery.

About the bidirectional mount I already have my solution with pictures in the Mobius mounting solutions topic.

My error, I missed that post of yours. It would need a new mold, but only for the mount, not the camera itself.

One change I might make is to slightly enlarge the screw recesses on the camera so as to partially fit the latches.

I would like to see the Mobius camera come with a threaded lens that would accept dedicated filters.
At the same time I would like to see Mobius offer their own line of filters that would be marketed along with their other accessories such as mounts and wiring harnesses.
These filters would included a polarizer as well as a clear glass filter (perhaps UV) that could be used to protect the lens if you want to use the camera as more of an action camera but don't really need a waterproof case, or perhaps just want to protect the lens. Certainly a UV filter or skylight filter would appeal to RC enthusiasts but would also be of interest to dash cam users. If it is not practical for Mobius to market their own filters, and even if it is, the lens threads should be a standard size such as 22mm to accept any aftermarket camera filter.

Back