Dashcam Viewer software for Mac: beta testers wanted

I've PMd as well, but what am I doing wrong? I get no 'map' nor car/compass needle. I get speed. I have GPS files that are on the card. Anyone else missing map?

@boilers, just saw this post. I will PM you.

Update: We fixed boilers' problem. His dashcam's timezone was not set for his location which confused my app. Once he set his camera's timezone for Indianapolis (-5 UTC) all was well.

duly thrown under bus! :)
Yep, user error... I had PLUS 5 GMT.. not -5.... doh.

The Ambarella Mini DVR 0801 CL-800GS and CL-800DV are our bestsellers in the webshop. Some of our customers have already asked me for software for the MAC. How can they get the (beta) software?

@MiniDashcam: as jokiin said Dashcam Viewer for the Mac has been released and is up to version 1.1.0. You can download it from here:

http://earthshinesw.com/mac-dashcam-viewer/

New features being worked on include support for the Panorama II dashcam plus G-Force graphs. Stay tuned...

John

Nice software..I just upgraded the firmware on my cam and tried out your software but it doesnt do the GPS bit..says no GPS data is there yet it is....

What am I missing?

I admit at this stage i only tried it with very short videos here : http://s40.photobucket.com/user/gkinghrn/library/

but here is a screen shot of things..

Last edited:
@Gkinghorn, in one of your earlier posts you mention that you own a Panorama 2 camera. The version of Dashcam Viewer you are using (v1.1.0) does not support this camera...yet. I am putting on the final touches for Panorama 2 support and should have something for you to use soon. Stay tuned!

John

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gkinghorn, in one of your earlier posts you mention that you own a Panorama 2 camera. The version of Dashcam Viewer you are using (v1.1.0) does not support this camera...yet. I am putting on the final touches for Panorama 2 support and should have something for you to use soon. Stay tuned!

John
Brilliant stuff...see I knew I was doing something wrong...thank you very much..

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

FYI, I could not open the link to your software manual on your site when on my iPad originally...but minutes after this post, it opened.

Trying to see how easy it is to output to a single video file to then upload to a website. I don't have a dash cam yet, but want to use it for videos in my real estate work. I imagine outputting a single video file from the many fragments is basic (as all the DashCamTalk or YouTube videos do it). Can your or other software do this or do you need to use another video joiner product for Windows or Mac?

One extra question is if yours or other software can output a video with Google Map overlay in the corner as ONE VIDEO FILE.

I also like what Autogard for Android does in terms of highlighting the entire track of a journey on the map (like your GPX export but without the manual steps in your video)...not just a moving flag. I think that only works in their viewer, so not sure if I can save a single video with driving view AND map view.image.jpg

Last edited:
Tried viewing the manual on my iPad and it worked. Must have been a temporary glitch.

Regarding your first question: Although that is a great suggestion, Dashcam Viewer currently doesn't support video editing or combining videos into a single movie. It's just a viewer.

I like how your android app combines the video and the google map. Although DCV doesn't create videos like this, you can 'fake it' by placing the DCV movie viewer window next to the Google Maps window and capturing the two windows into a movie using Snapz Pro X. Yeah, this isn't the best solution but it might work in a pinch.
John

Datakam Player (for Mac) will be support export video fragments (cropping and joining) soon. But not video editing too.
By the way, it supports GPS format of Mini now.

Avid Mac user here. Downloaded and I will give it a try.

Vadikus, perhaps it would be more appropriate to create your own thread, rather than make announcements in other people's threads, particularly ones offering the well-established Dashcam Viewer for Mac by EarthShine Software ...

Vadikus, perhaps it would be more appropriate to create your own thread, rather than make announcements in other people's threads, particularly ones offering the well-established Dashcam Viewer for Mac by EarthShine Software ...
Yes, own thread have been created here. I will never write here about it again, sorry.
But tell the truth, I don't see anything bad, in making announce about good alternative program in the thread, where people need software like this.

Last edited:
i have used the item for the 1st time today, it functions well but the application is pretty sloppy. Why is it that there are 4 separate windows that open. Preferably ONE large window that the user can manipulate proportions of each 1/4 inside the total frame. I can't understand why so much 'realestate' is given to the GPS co-ordinates and compass, these seem pretty pointless and contribute little to the end user. Can't say it's software worth paying for yet.

i have used the item for the 1st time today, it functions well but the application is pretty sloppy. Why is it that there are 4 separate windows that open. Preferably ONE large window that the user can manipulate proportions of each 1/4 inside the total frame.

@platinum, although the notion of having ONE window tiled into quarters sounds intriguing there are technical and aesthetic reasons why this is not the best way to handle a mixed layout of graphical and GUI widgets. For example, some GUI elements, like text strings and buttons, don't always resize well. Text-wrapping and tiny buttons are undesirable side-effects of a tiled window that is shrunk too far. Having individual independent windows gives the developer more control over the look-and-feel. Users can decide to hide/show the windows they don't want to see.

Back in the early stages I experimented with a single container window with four docked-subwindows. The windows could be embedded within the container window or double clicked to be outside the container window. Although there were some advantages when it came to managing the docked windows when they were embedded, I found the result to be messy and very "un-Mac-like". I quickly shelved it.

Also, having a Main Window (the player window) allows me to have a full-size toolbar in which I can embed toolbar buttons that invoke different functions.

I can't understand why so much 'realestate' is given to the GPS co-ordinates and compass, these seem pretty pointless and contribute little to the end user. Can't say it's software worth paying for yet.

Did you know you can resize the Data window to hide the compass/weather and coordinates that you don't want to see? This was a great suggestion from a user on this forum that I implemented in the more recent versions:

Here's the normal Data window with all the widgets:
dataview1.jpg

@platinum, you can resize it to hide the compass and coordinate widgets:
dataview2.jpg

Or you can close the Data window and not see it again until you ask for it from the Windows menu.

Regards,
John

More info:
Dashcam Viewer
Facebook

Datakam Player has the options i am looking for & it is free. 4 windows, drag them to the size i want etc. Thanks for your excuses i mean explanation.

Back