G1W stays on startup splash screen when powered on until power cycled multiple times

xiaxian

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time dash cam owner/user and I just received my G1W from a trusted ebay seller. The memory card formatted correctly and mounted with no issues.

My problem is most of the times when it's powered on (while plugged into the cigarette charger) it does not go into record mode automatically. Most times when I power it on it goes to the startup splash screen and stays there (blueskysea®) - completely unresponsive to any button except on/off. I must then power cycle it between 6-10 times before it starts recording. I have tried leaving it always plugged in, tried powering it on without being plugged in, tried holding the power button down longer but nothing seems to work except half a dozen power cycles.

It's my understanding it would automatically start recording when powered on. When I park at work or at home I leave the power cord attached to the unit while parked. But when I'm at a shopping center I will disconnect the power cord to not draw attention to the unit.

I apologize if this has been asked before but a quick search of the form didn't turn of anything similar.

I reached out to my seller who suggested there may be a problem with the SD card which is brand new, formatted just for this unit. Once it's running, it records without a problem. I just can't seem to get it start up recording without the endless power cycling.

This might seem kind of obvious, but have you tried the reset button to make sure it's in OEM specs to start with?

I have not tried the reset button, no. I can certainly try it later today. Is it a button I need a pin to activate (like a straightened paper clip)? And how long do I hold the reset button for? Will there be an indication it has reset correctly?

The only modification I had made to the programming was to set it to a 5 minute loop. Heck, I'm just now learning it has a screen saver function as well!

Thank you

Should be a little hole next to the HDMI port labeled "reset".

A short press of the inside button should be enough.

I don't think it will fix your problem, but it's quick, easy and worth a shot.

I recommend you go through the menu and write down the button presses it requires to get to the language menu. It may reset to Chinese of something once you press the button.

Mine did that once when I hit reset and I had to play around until I found the language menu to get it back to English....

Before you reset, check the menu to see if you could navigate back to the language setting if it was in a different language. Some have a symbol like a speech bubble but some don't. Might be worth remembering how far down from the top the language option is in the menu.

Back