G1W-C turns (and stays) off during ignition

uriar

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi guys,

After thoroughly reading in this site, I have ordered a G1W-C from Ebay for my car. Everything seems to be working fine except one issue that is a deal breaker. here it is:

When I turn on the keys to ACC the camera gets power and starts recording. Then when I start the engine, during the ignition, there is a very short power break and, about 90% of times, the camera is turned off, and stays off even after ignition, when power is back. I can press the power button and it will start back again. This sucks :(. I can reproduce this issue at home when the camera is attached to a wall socket and I pull it out and immediately back in. It powers off and stays off.

I have tried changing the "auto power off" setting to 'off' or one of the 'on' settings but it didn't help. G-sensor and motion detection are both off.

Anyone ran into this issue or has any idea how to resolve it?

Thanks!

The G1W series of cameras can be a bit of hit or miss because there are multiple manufacturers using different components. It sounds to me like yours may be a bit more sensitive to the short power drop during the transition from ACC to ignition on. My only suggestion would be to not pause at the ACC step (if you are) before starting the engine - rather go from OFF to ON as quickly as possible.

The 'auto power off' setting in the camera will have no bearing on this, nor will any G-sensor or motion detection settings.

Edit: Something else to consider would be to hard wire the camera instead of using the accessory outlet. You may be able to find a suitable circuit that does not experience the power interruption, or one that is not powered at all until the ignition is in the 'ON' position.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. This is a major bummer and I wonder why I had never heard about it in none of the reviews. This is a major bummer since hard-wiring it will take more money and, much worse, more time.

I have bought it in Ebay from estore009 which is marked as a safe bet in this thread. Guess I am not so lucky...

Thanks again.

Thanks for your help. This is a major bummer and I wonder why I had never heard about it in none of the reviews. This is a major bummer since hard-wiring it will take more money and, much worse, more time.

I have bought it in Ebay from estore009 which is marked as a safe bet in this thread. Guess I am not so lucky...

Thanks again.
As @DT MI pointed out, the problem is in the way your car's ignition sequence is set, nothing to do with the camera. That's why it was never mentioned in the reviews. There are some posts here reporting the same issue.
This wouldn't happen if it was a battery powered camera but if I lived in Israel I'd buy a capacitor one too.

another factor is that every car and every driver is different. diesel engine cars you HAVE to turn the key on and wait for the glow plugs to warm up (well, most of them). some cars simply start faster than others, even when it's the same make/model. heck, sometimes my own car doesn't start the first time i turn the key and i have to try again, which gives the cameras another blip in power. and some people just like to barely blip the key to start while others hold it till the engine is all the way running.

I wonder if there's a newer firmware that fixes the issue. I'd ask estore for the latest firmware to see if that fixes it.

another factor is that every car and every driver is different. diesel engine cars you HAVE to turn the key on and wait for the glow plugs to warm up (well, most of them). some cars simply start faster than others, even when it's the same make/model. heck, sometimes my own car doesn't start the first time i turn the key and i have to try again, which gives the cameras another blip in power. and some people just like to barely blip the key to start while others hold it till the engine is all the way running.
But even on diesel cars not all of them cut the power to the cigarette lighter when you start the engine, so if a person already has a camera when they buy a different car, it's best to make sure things like these doesn't happen.
When the Astra was in the shop to change the gearbox I drove my colleague's '99 Seat Cordoba 1.6, and of course, I installed the camera in it. I thought the cigarette lighter was ignition-switched like in the Astra but it isn't. During the day I drove the car I had to turn the camera on and off by plugging/unplugging the power adapter manually. If hipothetically I had bought that car I'd be in a similar situation to @uriar's. It's getting to a point where you (almost) have to chose a car that's compatible with the camera(s) you have. :)

It's getting to a point where you (almost) have to chose a car that's compatible with the camera(s) you have. :)

or learn how to do your own wiring. it's not THAT hard. i hardwire all my cameras, but i also added 2 lighter sockets in the overhead console of my new truck specifically for testing dashcams. :D

I wonder if there's a newer firmware that fixes the issue. I'd ask estore for the latest firmware to see if that fixes it.
What happens is the power cut during engine start is exactly when the camera's system is booting up. It's cut short and the camera shuts down. It happens even in battery powered cameras, so I assume that when the camera is connected to an external power source it depends solely on that power during boot up, not on battery or capacitor power. The only way I see this problem being fixed by firmware would be by shortening the boot up time but we know it needs its time before the camera starts recording.

or learn how to do your own wiring. it's not THAT hard. i hardwire all my cameras, but i also added 2 lighter sockets in the overhead console of my new truck specifically for testing dashcams. :D
It may not be for me and you but we know not everyone has the skills to do it and most people just want to plug their cameras into a switched power source and be done with it. :)

This is a major bummer since hard-wiring it will take more money and, much worse, more time.
You can try waiting until the camera starts recording before starting the engine. Usually if you cut the power for less than 10 seconds the camera won't stop recording before it gets powered again.

Too bad lots of cars don't have switched outlets...
That's why people need to be aware of these "details". They can make installing a dashcam a bigger hassle than most people expect.

Thanks for everyone who replied.

As @DT MI pointed out, the problem is in the way your car's ignition sequence is set, nothing to do with the camera.
Every car I ever got to drive had a power cut when the starter was cranking up the engine. But I don't know how it is in more modern and luxurious cars.

another factor is that every car and every driver is different. diesel engine cars you HAVE to turn the key on and wait for the glow plugs to warm up (well, most of them).
A bit off topic, but I would like to add, as a professional driver, that this sequence is better practice for any kind of car. In any car you should turn the key past accessory to On, then all the warning lights (such as ABS, oil pressure, malfunction indicator and air bag) in the instruments cluster light up for inspection and and turn back off after a few seconds. Only then should you start your engine.

The only way I see this problem being fixed by firmware would be by shortening the boot up time but we know it needs its time before the camera starts recording.
On the contrary - having the camera wait a little longer before starting would solve this issue.

I will get the camera hard-wired, which is a very hard task in my Suzuki SX4 as the fuse box is behind the steering wheel with very limited access.

Thanks for everyone who replied.

Every car I ever got to drive had a power cut when the starter was cranking up the engine. But I don't know how it is in more modern and luxurious cars.

A bit off topic, but I would like to add, as a professional driver, that this sequence is better practice for any kind of car. In any car you should turn the key past accessory to On, then all the warning lights (such as ABS, oil pressure, malfunction indicator and air bag) in the instruments cluster light up for inspection and and turn back off after a few seconds. Only then should you start your engine.

On the contrary - having the camera wait a little longer before starting would solve this issue.

I will get the camera hard-wired, which is a very hard task in my Suzuki SX4 as the fuse box is behind the steering wheel with very limited access.
Agreed about best practice but it's easy to get lazy about it... Or in the case of my wife's hybrid, not even possible since it's pushbutton start - there is no ignition cylinder at all!

If you have an overhead console or sunroof, you can usually get key switched power there. Much easier than trying to run wires down the A pillar, no matter what kind of vehicle it is.

There is another reason of troubles with G1WC and camera shutdown whilst engine start.
Let's imagine two scenarios:
1. Half turn of key- car power supply is on, cam starts and after eg. 5 seconds starts recording. When recording is active firmware keeps watching on car power supply to be ready to stop recording and close safely the last recorded file.
So, when you start engine whilst recording and there will be power fluctuation, the camera things that it is time to shut down.
2. Half turn of key- car power supply is on, cam starts but you start engine before start of recording. The camera does not shut down!!! Power fluctuation is not interpreted as a need to close safely the last recorded file.

So, mensioned problem are "the second end of stick". 1st one is need to save file ASAP but 2nd one is problem with power fluctuation whilst recording.

The firmware should make longer and fixed delay between cam start and recording eg. 60 seconds or (even better) to give additional delay setting in the menu. Maybe someone will need 120 seconds...

I think that The Chinese will ignore this issue.
That is all.

Does anyone understand me?

Last edited:
Strange. I give them solution above. The simplest way is to set fixed delay 60 seconds. A lot of problems will disappear at once.

Back