GS900 (VF960S)

I'm uploading a test video to Youtube so it should be up soon.

Remember to select 1080p :)

This is a test clip of the video taken using the new GS900 firmware released on 19th July 2013. I have noticed that there is about a 4 second delay in the speed displayed on screen. The time is also now synchronized automatically with the GPS time, hence it will display in UTC and not local time. When viewed on PC using RegistratorViewer the GPS track is accurate and the speed is also accurate, no delay as shown by the embedded speed display. Another little change observed on the DVR screen itself is that they have changed the color of the GPS icon from red to green, so when a signal is locked it will now be green.

So far all is good.

Cheers :) Mario

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any releasenotes available what changed between the different versions?
(Perhaps they have been linked in the thread so far, but i just klicked a few links and got systematically to the same current archive without realeasenotes. Which is fine for people who just want to use it, but since i like to see what perhaps has been improoved since the initial reviews, i am ust curious...)

erkhu said:
mariomart said:
New firmware for all versions of the GS900 (VF960S) have been released HERE .
. . . . . .

HERE will show 2012.07.18 Upadate: http://www.foxoffer.com/download/VF960S ... a_0718.zip

and at jul 18 2013 you say . . . GS900 firmware released on 19th July 2013

What is correct :?:

//Eric

I'm not quite sure what you're alluding to! Perhaps you're pointing out that the firmware was finalised and date stamped by the developers as 20130718 and released by Foxoffer on 18 July 2013 and that I posted the information on 19 July 2013. Is that an issue? Don't forget that I live in Australia and that due to our location we can be 24 hours in front of other countries :D

adorfer said:
Are there any releasenotes available what changed between the different versions?
(Perhaps they have been linked in the thread so far, but i just klicked a few links and got systematically to the same current archive without realeasenotes. Which is fine for people who just want to use it, but since i like to see what perhaps has been improoved since the initial reviews, i am ust curious...)

I've never seen any release notes, but from what I have observed this is what has been fixed/changed;

a. Fixed - low volume
b. New - speed display in recorded video files
c. Changed - GPS Lock indicator icon color changed from red to green
d. New - automatic synchronization time with GPS Satellites (which means you get UTC)

What I would like to see added to future firmware is the ability to change the synchronised UTC to synchronised Local time. Also a menu item to change km/h to mp/h would be good for other markets.

Cheers :)

erkhu said:
Hi mariomart,

what I ment was that if you press the HERE you get the FoxOffer page
http://www.foxoffer.com/blog/2013/04/03 ... er-tool-5/
which will show 2012.07.18 Upadate:
and then http://www.foxoffer.com/download/VF960S ... a_0718.zip
which has NOT any year in front of _0718
so I was not sure if it was an old Update from 2012.07.18 OR 2013.07.18

//Eric

Oh, I see what you mean :D Foxoffer stuffed up ;)

The actual firmware in the DVR does have 20130718 as the version description.

mariomart said:
erkhu said:
Hi mariomart,

what I ment was that if you press the HERE you get the FoxOffer page
http://www.foxoffer.com/blog/2013/04/03 ... er-tool-5/
which will show 2012.07.18 Upadate:
and then http://www.foxoffer.com/download/VF960S ... a_0718.zip
which has NOT any year in front of _0718
so I was not sure if it was an old Update from 2012.07.18 OR 2013.07.18

//Eric

Oh, I see what you mean :D Foxoffer stuffed up ;)

The actual firmware in the DVR does have 20130718 as the version description.

Lol :D

Leon from Foxoffer must be reading these pages ;)

The error has been fixed :D

After I send an email to Leo/FoxOffer they fixed the errors today.

//Eric

My GS900 works fine now - except that it's very dark. Anyone else had that issue?

Re: Registrator Viewer

Vadikus said:
mariomart said:
Gifts from the Gods ;)
I have to do some publicity and promotion.
Or nobody will know :)
Sorry, If it look like a spam.

Information like this is awesome, and you're a great hero to everyone owning a GS900 (and probably most of Foxoffer's cameras), since the original software is so very, very useless.
I see they even linked RegistratorViewer at Foxoffer.

I hope they send something nice your way for that :)

Mirar said:
My GS900 works fine now - except that it's very dark. Anyone else had that issue?

Try to reload the firmware again. My GS900 misbehaved once after a firmware upgrade but everything was resolved after reloading the firmware. Worth a try.

Mirar said:
Information like this is awesome, and you're a great hero to everyone owning a GS900 (and probably most of Foxoffer's cameras), since the original software is so very, very useless.
I see they even linked RegistratorViewer at Foxoffer.

I hope they send something nice your way for that :)

1000% agree with you.

I've actually donated money to Vadim (not much, but all I could afford) to help support his brilliant efforts.

If you use his software and can afford to donate please consider it.

After watching (and reading) the progress with updates to this cam, I've convinced myself to order one from the folks at Foxoffer just last night. The video reviews and samples done by TechMoan got me started down this path but the poor audio reports kept me on the edge until I saw the manufacturer addressing the issue via firmware.

I did spring for the unit with GPS although I personally tend to agree with TechMoan that the speed overlay isn't *always* a good idea. Still, I didn't want to think up a use for that or GPS coordinates in a few months time and have to replace the whole unit. For any other Canucks out there, it was CDN$122 as of last night, shipping included. We'll see if Canadian Customs beats me up any further with extra tax but I chose normal HKPost shipping which usually slides in untouched (as opposed to 'express' brands of shipping).

I already had a Lexar 32GB class 10 micro SDHC card in my box of spare goods and they've served me well on higher-end digital cameras so that will go into this unit unless anyone out there can advise otherwise. I know Sandisk scores as the gold standard nowadays but Lexar seems to test out nearly as good. Before I found this spare, I noticed they've come down in cost considerably over the last few months, even at mass market retailers like Walmart (aka Asda, et. al. - $29 last night when I was shopping for toothpaste and butter).

I'll keep you all posted on delivery times (to Eastern Canada) and what (if any) changes occur to the firmware shipped with the unit. Great job on sorting out the issues to date in any event. Thanks for the efforts and stay tuned.

- CH

I ordered mine as an addition to the PowerUCC PanoramaII.

Why? on this device it's possible without hazzle to replace the internal gps-antenna with an MCX-Connector, in order to wire an external (roof) antenna. (yes, i am into mapping for OSM... so the more accurate the tracks are, the better.)
In plus the Panorama2 is very wide angled. too much to read license plates far away. But it has advantages as well, so i went the "mobotix way" with 2 cameras simultaneously in the same direction. One wide angle, one telephoto.
I swapped the lens of the GS900 from 3.2mm(?) to a f=8mm/F=1.2. (availabe at many china-stores for around 15USD)
Since the GS900 does NOT need an IR cut/filter, it work's perfect! (I use the same since quite a while for the rear view camera)
And yes, it realy giving lots of light.

adorfer said:
I swapped the lens of the GS900 from 3.2mm(?) to a f=8mm/F=1.2. (availabe at many china-stores for around 15USD)
Since the GS900 does NOT need an IR cut/filter, it work's perfect! (I use the same since quite a while for the rear view camera)
And yes, it realy giving lots of light.

do you have any sample footage you can share?

mariomart said:
Mirar said:
Information like this is awesome, and you're a great hero to everyone owning a GS900 (and probably most of Foxoffer's cameras)
I've actually donated money to Vadim
And even for more dashcams from korea.
Motivated by his new beta i just made my 3rd donation to him.
Hopefully he can continue his brilliant work for a long time. Since new camers will be coming and factory software seems obviously always crap with hardly any map support execpt from google and no export functions (no GPX, no KML)

(This is a plea to all other users do donate too!)

adorfer said:
jokiin said:
adorfer said:
do you have any sample footage you can share?
I just have a slow internet connection here, but i will try some uploads tomorrow.

even some screenshots would be good if video is too difficult to upload on your connection

I was wrong about the IR filter. It definitly needs one. So without additional IR cut this lense will give a lot of wrong color during daytime.

For the Mounting (working of the lense not very smooth, was a quick job)
P1210466.JPG

P1210469.JPG

P1210471.JPG

Motorway PanoramaII
Motorway GS900

Night City PanoramaII
Night City GS900

Day City PanoramaII
Day City GS900

Back