GS900 (VF960S)

adorfer said:
I was wrong about the IR filter. It definitly needs one. So without additional IR cut this lense will give a lot of wrong color during daytime.

when you said it didn't need one I thought perhaps it had one and you weren't aware, it is something they need for this application

do you know where i can obtain IR cut filters that go on the sensor *for affordable price*?
I would glue them at the edges with locktite.
in know that in most cases the filters are on the lens, but the mounting is difficult because every lens is different and to be in the 90 degrees angle to the optical axisis it's difficult to position.
I saw some suppliers, but the price was what i would call "not very interesting" to put a few on the shelf.

Nice comparison vids. I'll get some of my own up soon enough with more Canadian trees in the frame. :)

I got my the initial "information received at post" shipping confirmation from Foxoffer (via paypal) moments ago. Within the three days after order as promised so that's encouraging if the tracking shows the package in transit over the next day or so. It was curious, however, that it was shipped via Singapore Post rather than Hong Kong or China post as I expected. Doesn't worry me as I get packages from all three places regularly but just wasn't expecting Singapore in the mix. Perhaps they have a shipping depot there that's cheaper for them but it's hard to imagine anyone beating China Post's shipping rates. Stay tuned for updates for anyone thinking about taking the plunge who wants to know what to expect from this vendor/manufacturer.

- CH

Hi guys, I just bought GS900 from Aliexpress since it is cheaper to send by Fedex to Malaysia. Nope, not the fake one but the one with Ambarella chip.
So, I tested today and on the first few occasion I saw GPS icon turned green but then it dissapeared. RegistratorViewer confirmed that only the first hour or so of my video got GPS. (I did a few stops on my driving earlier)

Just now I updated the firmware from foxoffer's website and went out to check if I can get the thing to lock on GPS but no luck. (20130718)

Does anyone know if this is known issues or there are things that I can check to get the GPS working again?

astronyu said:
Nobody can help?

contact the seller I guess, using firmware from another sellers website might not have been the best choice, even if they look the same doesn't mean they are the same

Strange that it worked and *THEN* stopped. I would have thought a firmware problem would have been present from the start. Maybe a hardware issue? Of course firmware can do strange things at any time so that's just a guess.

Do you know what GPS components (chips) are inside your model? That might help determine what firmware is 'safe' to use. I'd flash back to the original version (that worked for a while) as a diagnostic and then email your seller if that reset doesn't get you working again. Good luck.

- CH

I have the firmware version 20130718 on my GS900. It seems to do the display of the speed etc. OK but the sound is still very low. Anybody else had this problem ?

Re: AW: GS900 (VF960S)

If gps just stopped after updating the firmware and you did nothing else to the device then it is very likely not the same board.
Are you sure and certain that you picked the fw file from foxoffer's website "including gps"?

If you like, open the top device (4 screws around the neck, one screw right through the "head".)
Inside that top compartment you will find the ceramic plate patch antenna plus the logic board. What markings can you read in that gps pcb?

Thank you for your response.

The firmware version 20130718 was installed when I bought the GS90 new.

The GPS is working fine apart from it being a bit slow to acquire satellites.

It's just the low volume problem which doesn't seem to have been fixed.

Maybe something went wrong when the firmware was being updated.

Someone else may have had the same problem.

One thing I have noticed is that the audio only plays through the left channel on my PC. I can only hear the audio if I turn the volume on my PC to the absolute maximum, then any other PC sounds deafen me!!!

Thank you for your response.

The firmware version 20130718 was installed when I bought the GS90 new.

The GPS is working fine apart from it being a bit slow to acquire satellites.

It's just the low volume problem which doesn't seem to have been fixed.

Maybe something went wrong when the firmware was being updated.

Someone else may have had the same problem.

One thing I have noticed is that the audio only plays through the left channel on my PC. I can only hear the audio if I turn the volume on my PC to the absolute maximum, then any other PC sounds deafen me!!!

Hello to all,

One thing I noticed on my Cam is wrong icon(s) on analog video out. I have my camera connected to my Pioneer head unit via AUX. The camera is hidden behind the rearview mirror so I connected it to the video monitor so I can see the picture when I want, but I never got GPS fix when connected to the unit. Then I checked recorded video and usually there was GPS fix and all the related data. It is just the satellite icon on analog video out that doesn't change from red to green. I need to check other settings and related icons but GPS icon is definitely wrong!

So people from Foxoffer or Viofo if you are reading this, there is another thing to change in next firmware.

jobee78 said:
It is just the satellite icon on analog video out that doesn't change from red to green. I need to check other settings and related icons but GPS icon is definitely wrong!

So people from Foxoffer or Viofo if you are reading this, there is another thing to change in next firmware.

If you are not running the latest firmware, then your GPS icon will appear as RED when the satellites are acquired, which means it is working properly.

If you are running the newest firmware (20130718) your GPS icon will appear as GREEN when the satellites are acquired, which means it is working properly.

With either firmware, if your GPS icon is transparent (outline only with NO red or green) then that means it is still searching for satellites.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :) Mario

mariomart said:
jobee78 said:
It is just the satellite icon on analog video out that doesn't change from red to green. I need to check other settings and related icons but GPS icon is definitely wrong!

If you are not running the latest firmware, then your GPS icon will appear as RED when the satellites are acquired, which means it is working properly.

If you are running the newest firmware (20130718) your GPS icon will appear as GREEN when the satellites are acquired, which means it is working properly.

With either firmware, if your GPS icon is transparent (outline only with NO red or green) then that means it is still searching for satellites.

Hope this helps.

You did not quite read my post. I am on the latest firmware. I will put it different. When looking on the camera LCD everything is OK... Green satellite when locked and outlined when not. But when camera is connected via AV out to external monitor, icons are different. It always shows RED satelitte icon (on external LCD)!!!

jobee78 said:
You did not quite read my post. I am on the latest firmware. I will put it different. When looking on the camera LCD everything is OK... Green satellite when locked and outlined when not. But when camera is connected via AV out to external monitor, icons are different. It always shows RED satelitte icon (on external LCD)!!!

Ahh!! Now I see what you mean. Very strange, obviously the AV feed is treated separately to main screen feed. I've never tried the AV feed. Have you emailed Viofo/Foxoffer support with this information?

No, this is my first post on this subject and this forum is the first place :)

Where can I contact them?

jobee78 said:
No, this is my first post on this subject and this forum is the first place :)

Where can I contact them?

For Foxoffer http://www.foxoffer.com/ . Use the "Contact Us" link, also check out the Blog for some useful information.
For Viofo http://www.viofo.com/ . Use the "Contact Us" link.

They are very helpful and receptive to any and all information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the GS900 yesterday and accordingly to the User Manual I miss the following:
5. Audio: on and off (even with Volume set to 13 VERY low sound) Is the Microphone hole too smal?
8. LED: used to select the fill light to open / off / auto
13. TV output: NTCS / PAL
20. PLA. STAMP license plate No.: On / Off
21. GPS: Yes / No
How to set these?
4x digital zoom does not work with the Up / Down buttons during recording.
Firmware Version: 20130725

Any ideas?
//Eric

erkhu said:
I got the GS900 yesterday and accordingly to the User Manual I miss the following:
5. Audio: on and off (even with Volume set to 13 VERY low sound) Is the Microphone hole too smal?
8. LED: used to select the fill light to open / off / auto
13. TV output: NTCS / PAL
20. PLA. STAMP license plate No.: On / Off
21. GPS: Yes / No
How to set these?
4x digital zoom does not work with the Up / Down buttons during recording.
Firmware Version: 20130725

Any ideas?
//Eric

Hi Eric,

Are you sure it is a genuine GS900? Did you buy it from Foxoffer? It could also be that they gave you the wrong manual, however the firmware version you have is a lot newer than the current 20130718 that is on the support page. It gets even more confusing as you are talking about "8. LED: used to select the fill light to open / off / auto " which the GS900 was never fitted with. The "20. PLA. STAMP license plate No.: On / Off" is also another option not available on the GS900. as is the ability to turn off the GPS "21. GPS: Yes / No". I've never bothered trying the zoom function so I cant help you there.

I have a feeling that you may either have a fake GS900, the wrong firmware installed or you may have the wrong model number (is it a GS900 (VF960S) from Viofo or Foxoffer?).

Hope some of this helps.

Back