having two specific problems on my FineVu dashcam- parking mode and missing video

d550

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve been running my FineVu CR-500HD for about 8 months now, and recently I’ve noticed two specific problems:

1. The camera often does not go into parking mode, and instead continues to record in normal mode for hours on end, despite my car being parked and turned off. When I go to review the videos, sometimes the camera will have properly switched itself into parking/motion detection mode, but often I’ll see hours on end of normal mode recordings of my vehicle parked in a garage. It is set to automatically go into parking mode- I have never had to manually switch it on.

2. For some reason, the camera also misses large periods of time, i.e. no recordings for hours at a time. Sometimes it is missing an hour or so, sometimes it is missing multiple hours with no recorded footage. Occasionally, when I watch the next available footage (i.e. if there is a gap between 200pm and 500pm, when I load the 500pm clip), it will start with the camera beeping, as though it just started up; has it crashed in the meantime? However, sometimes there is no beeping sound, simply a gap of missing footage.

My vehicle spends most of its time parked in an underground garage so temperature is a non-issue. The voltage readings in the videos show plenty of charge with no significant fluctuations, so it is not a battery cutoff problem either. I did swap out a SanDisk 16GB for a SanDisk 32GB microSD card a few months ago; is this possibly a problem for the camera? Any advice on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated- I want to avoid missing footage, either b/c the camera wasn’t in parking/motion detection mode, or b/c the camera wasn’t recording at all, in the event of another parking lot hit and run. Thanks in advance!

I’ve tried formatting the SD card, as suggested on another post in this forum, but the same problems persist; does it make any difference whether I do the formatting via the camera (pressing the M button for 7 seconds), versus taking the SD card out and formatting it via a PC?

I’ve contacted FineVu USA \ Pro Com as the camera is still under warranty, and am waiting to hear back; in the meantime, has anyone else had experience troubleshooting these types of issues?

Is the Sandisk a real one as there are a lot of fakes out there especially Sandisk Download the program H2TestW and test the card.

I purchased it from SanDisk on Amazon, but I'll run the H2TestW and post the results- I assume this is some type of read/write speed and error test? Thanks for the tip!

Everything seemed to check out with the H2TestW results:

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 9.26 MByte/s
Reading speed: 11.6 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

The speeds might read a bit low- I was running it on a tablet that went to sleep a couple times, and I think the time estimates grew and write/verify speeds dropped with each sleep. But based on what I’ve read online, these results indicate the microSD card is authentic and not the cause of any of my issues.

I’ve been checking the video footage every morning and evening over the past few days, and the gaps in “normal” mode are always followed by a bootup beep sequence. The gaps have varied from 20 min to 5+ hours. And I still can’t see any pattern to when it decides to go into parking mode vs. when it just stays stuck in normal mode. Does anyone have any other ideas, or has the camera likely gone faulty and requires warranty replacement?

I would suspect power supply problems in that case.
I had one which used to pop out of the socket and stop working and I lost 2 days of video on one trip. I now use a different extender that plugs in solidly and the camera supply has a cable tie to keep it in tight.
My personal cars are hardwired so don't have the problem

I wanted to report back on the excellent customer service from FineVu USA \ Pro Com. DJ Lee did some testing on my original unit, and while he wasn’t able to pinpoint the exact cause of the malfunction, he agreed that my CR-500HD was faulty, and replaced it under warranty; everything was covered minus the nominal cost of shipping back my dash cam via USPS Priority Mail. Happy to see that they stand behind their product, and would certainly recommend them for any FineVu purchases.

Back