LK7900 Does NOT Record in Cold Weather

RaffRaff

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR650S-2CH
PSA: The LK-7900 ACE will shut down once the ambient temperature inside your car reaches freezing (0 C). The stated operating range is -20 C (-4 F) to 80 C (176 F) although the thermal shutdown function kicks in at 65 C.

In my case, it looks like it took all of ten minutes after I parked before the cam shut down (please refer to attached image) .

NYC has been hit with some pretty cold temperatures for the past few weeks and I've noticed consistent recording gaps. It looks like it takes a while for the cam to warm up and start recording even though the status will change from "PRK" to "DRV" as well...

Should I get the cam a snuggie? Comments welcome.

Thanks,
RaffRaff

Capture.PNG

The operating temp of the LK7900 is -20 C. I believe it has a high temp cut-off as per the manual but there is no mention of a low temp cut-off. I know that other dash cams have a low temp cut-off (Papago P2 comes to mind), but I wasn't aware it was on the LK7900.

PSA: The LK-7900 ACE will shut down once the ambient temperature inside your car reaches freezing (0 C). The stated operating range is -20 C (-4 F) to 80 C (176 F) although the thermal shutdown function kicks in at 65 C.

In my case, it looks like it took all of ten minutes after I parked before the cam shut down (please refer to attached image) .

NYC has been hit with some pretty cold temperatures for the past few weeks and I've noticed consistent recording gaps. It looks like it takes a while for the cam to warm up and start recording even though the status will change from "PRK" to "DRV" as well...

Should I get the cam a snuggie? Comments welcome.

Thanks,
RaffRaff

I have been trying to fashion a winter jacket for my dash cam out of earmuffs but I'm not satisfied with the results yet, but I'll get there. I want to leave the camera in the car 24/7 and have it start when I jump in.

Wierd.
All i can say is that my LK-7500 witch have a lesser temperature range have suvived the past week with temperatures Down to -7 Deg C.
I estimate my cam is 1 minute, changing from parked to driving mode.

Yesterday my GPS was "hung" and i drove 10 Km before i notised the GPS was still not up and running, i rebooted the cam and it was back on in normal time.

It says it will temporarily stop recording at 70*C. "Operating" probably means it's safe to have it plugged in and on up to 80*C.
I would assume the temp cutoff switch is probably electro-mechanical? and so it would have to be alive to be monitoring that.

My LK7900 works fine in cold weather. I'm in Canada and it's been colder than -22°C/-8°F for months now.
Snow or ice on your windshield will block GPS. Also, check your SD card is rated for low temp operation.

Back