LK7900 GPS is not on?

comminus

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7900 Ace
First full day of use, upon reviewing videos I've noticed that the GPS signal is always F (off) and never V or A. All information in the viewer app is blank as well. My commute to work is 30 mins which should be more than enough time for GPS lock.

Am I missing some setting somewhere to enable GPS? What am I missing?

It's a brand new unit and I'm using the viewer that came with it, which I have to assume is the right one.

Here's the GPS settings that are available in the viewer and what they are currently set to:

viewer-gps-settings.png

Yep it is on by default ( OSD ) i have never tried to have it off, but i suspect it then will still display the speed on the little display on the back, and replace the speed in the video footage with the letter F.

I am going for a drive tomorrow, will prepare a backup SD card with the GPS turned off in the settings.

The speed has never displayed on the back of my camera. Just the time. The GPS is always off, its never shown any state other than F.

Is the GPS antenna connected proberly to the camera, mine connect with a mini jack plug, yours might not be seated proberly in your camera.

Dident get to do my drive today as promised, its been one of those stay home and eat painkillers days :(

Is the GPS antenna connected proberly to the camera, mine connect with a mini jack plug, yours might not be seated proberly in your camera.

Dident get to do my drive today as promised, its been one of those stay home and eat painkillers days :(

Sorry to hear about needing the painkillers! The LK-7900 Ace GPS is internal so there's nothing to plug in. Kelvin from blackboxed.ca has sent an email off to the manufacturer asking them for a solution. Hopefully there is some software incantation that can resolve the issue.

okay. on my lk7500 the antenna is in the base/Mount, and connect to the cam with a 50 mm wire.
I have not been keeping up with the lukas cameras as ever since i got mine i have had a hard on for getting a dual cam setup, but the right one still isent there + i am out of Work and mony.

BB.ca will pull thru for you, they seem to be good Guys.

I have no doubt! You've been immensely helpful!

With GPS turned off the Little display on the back still display speed, and no speed in embedded in the video recording.
The Little display on the back perform normal, allso displaying time and date when the car is not moving.

Hope you will soon enjoy your LK-7900 like i have enjoyed my LK-7500.

Window tint blocks GPS signals. You have to be careful where you put your LK7900. Some cars have tint along the top of the front windshield- which will not work.
I find the black mesh pattern around the rear-view mirror base cuts down GPS signal strength but it's enough to get a speed reading and time sync.
I would move the camera and see if things change.

I did ask Lukas to put in a GPS signal strength/# of satellites number to help troubleshooting.

Window tint blocks GPS signals. You have to be careful where you put your LK7900. Some cars have tint along the top of the front windshield- which will not work.
I find the black mesh pattern around the rear-view mirror base cuts down GPS signal strength but it's enough to get a speed reading and time sync.
I would move the camera and see if things change.

I did ask Lukas to put in a GPS signal strength/# of satellites number to help troubleshooting.
Thanks Ken, thats good to know. I have tried with the camera resting on the dash and even outside the car. I noticed today that the model number on the camera itself is LK-7900D whereas the box says it is LK-7900G - I have a feeling this might be the issue. Would any LK-7900 owners out there be able to confirm the model# on the side of their camera?

Last edited:
Turned out to be a faulty unit. Kelvin at blackboxed.ca has exchanged it for a new unit and shipped it out - this is the advantage to buying domestically. Thanks @BlackBoxed.ca!

Turned out to be a faulty unit. Kelvin at blackboxed.ca has exchanged it for a new unit and shipped it out - this is the advantage to buying domestically. Thanks @BlackBoxed.ca!

Comminus, no problem! You'll be receiving the replacement in the mail very shortly.

Kelvin

Replacement arrived today, GPS locked within 15 seconds of booting. That's more like it!

Back