My G1W captured my car Accident

bigreda357

Reaction score
Country
United States
So this happened to me a few days ago and it was All caught on video thanks to my G1W Dash Cam.

I will just post the Description I posted on Youtube on here to go along with the Video.

Description:
So my girlfriend and I were driving home, when this 2002 BMW runs a red light and makes our cars collide. The BMW was speeding as well and going about 15-20mph over the speed limit which was 40mph so it was doing about 55 - 60mph. I also believe the driver was texting and driving because she said that her signal light was Green when it obviously was not (as seen in the video) for at least 10 seconds. The BMW looks like it should be totaled from the crash but it was actually not as damaged because it was hit from the side and just spun out. My car on the other hand was totaled from the front since I hit her (because she went through a red light) and now my insurance company got back to me and said that my car is to damaged to fix.

I am also wondering why my Airbags DID NOT deploy since my car got much more damage to it and it is still new (2013), and on the other hand the BMW's airbags DID deploy when it got less damage and it is a much older car (2002).

What's your opinion Guys? Should have my airbags Deployed?

I only ask this question because if I was just 1 second earlier on that light, the BMW would have collided right at my Door, and someone going about 60mph and hitting a cars door dead on will Definitely cause death to the person getting hit if the airbags did not deploy, and if they were to deploy it would have not caused death but just some broke bones.

I loved my 2013 Nissan Altima and am grateful that my girlfriend and I were not to injured and I believe that was due to Nissan creating a very well made and Safe car. On the other hand I still am very curious why the Airbags DID NOT Deploy in my car...

Also the driver in the BMW was the Least hurt (well her car did get much less damage) and even though she tried to lie and tell me that the Light was green for her EVEN AFTER I showed her the video, I am still grateful that she did not get hurt.

It's good to see that you are safe and nobody was hurt.
Airbags are supposed to deploy only beyond certain speeds or sudden deceleration maybe since you just started off from the signal your speed was just below the deployment threshold. As for the German it's is build like a tank and took the impact better.Basically the sheer weight and the speed of the bmw was transmitted into your front end thereby totaling it.

NHTSA: airbags are supposed to deploy in frontal or near-frontal collisions. They typically require hitting a solid barrier at approximately 8-14mph or a parked car at around 28 mph.

The question is whether or not you were injured. If the airbag doesn’t deploy, but you leave the accident unscathed, it only shows that you probably didn’t need the airbag. Celebrate, because airbags can help but they can also hurt

Last edited:
I m sorry for this. I'm glade you and your girlfriend are OK. People is important, forget the car. This situation confirms need of dashcam. :)

It's good to see that you are safe and nobody was hurt.
The question is whether or not you were injured. If the airbag doesn’t deploy, but you leave the accident unscathed, it only shows that you probably didn’t need the airbag. Celebrate, because airbags can help but they can also hurt

Thank you, and yes that is correct I have been received a lot of input from the Nissan Forums about the airbags and I might have been injured more if the airbag did deploy.

I m sorry for this. I'm glade you and your girlfriend are OK. People is important, forget the car. This situation confirms need of dashcam. :)
Thank you, and yes that is the important part is that we are safe, a car can be replaced but my girlfriends life and mine cannot be. And yes this is exactly why people should have dashcams! Very little people have dashcams in their cars here in the US and when I tell people about my dashcam they are so shocked and say either that it is a great idea or ask me why do I have one for? Then I just show them the footage.

Thank God you're ok. The impact looks worse on your because it seems she sliced your front end off. All of her damage was in the middle of her car, maybe she swerved at the last second.

This is a good case example of why a dash cam is needed. Without witnesses and maybe looking at the damage on her side, they might say you hit her.

Cars made in the past few years are much better at protecting their occupants than those made over 10 years ago.

The front crumple zone of your car 'sacrificed' itself by absorbing the impact energy, & reducing the forces that would otherwise have been transmitted into the passenger compartment. Possibly why the airbags didn't deploy.

As unlikely as it seems, you're generally safer in a new Nissan than an old BMW or Merc or other 'quality' brand. Thanks to the efforts of Euro NCAP & other vehicle safety organisations.

Thankfully, nobody was seriously injured.

Last edited:
Thank God you're ok. The impact looks worse on your because it seems she sliced your front end off. All of her damage was in the middle of her car, maybe she swerved at the last second.

This is a good case example of why a dash cam is needed. Without witnesses and maybe looking at the damage on her side, they might say you hit her.

Exactly! She actually lied and said that her Light was Green, but The video shows different.

Cars made in the past few years are much better at protecting their occupants than those made over 10 years ago.

The front crumple zone of your car 'sacrificed' itself by absorbing the impact energy, & reducing the forces that would otherwise have been transmitted into the passenger compartment. Possibly why the airbags didn't deploy.

As unlikely as it seems, you're generally safer in a new Nissan than an old BMW or Merc or other 'quality' brand. Thanks to the efforts of Euro NCAP & other vehicle safety organisations.

Thankfully, nobody was seriously injured.

Yes I have noticed.

I did not think about that actually, maybe thats why we were able to walk away without not being seriously injured.

I actually would expect a Nissan to have better features then a older bmw or merc and even the new ones, Japanese automakers, make excellent cars for a great price.

And yes, thank you. I am also glad we were not seriously hurt.

Man...did u dodge a bullet!....u were close to getting killed if there was a difference of a split second.

I can't believe u still have sympathy for her after she lied!...If that time is correct, it looks like close to midnight & there's the likelihood of her being drunk. What did the police do?

btw...u should post this in the video section...folks should see & read this excellent example of why we r all here. Only GXW users might see it here. I only found it by seeing it in NEW POSTS.

Very close shave, glad you and gf are ok

Man...did u dodge a bullet!....u were close to getting killed if there was a difference of a split second.

I can't believe u still have sympathy for her after she lied!...If that time is correct, it looks like close to midnight & there's the likelihood of her being drunk. What did the police do?

btw...u should post this in the video section...folks should see & read this excellent example of why we r all here. Only GXW users might see it here. I only found it by seeing it in NEW POSTS.

Ya I know, tell me about it.

I'm just the kind of person who does not like to hold a Grudge, but yes if she killed me I would come back to haunt her.
Also my time is correct it was 12:33am, in all honesty I think she was texting and driving because after the crash when we were standing on the sidewalk when the police came she was just texting and texting away. It happened in Orange County, Costa Mesa to be exact because I see you also live in CA.
The police just came and asked if anyone needed a ambulance or if anyone was actually hurt and my girlfriend and I said no and so did the other girl, so they did not even make a police report. Then they called the Tow companies to tow the cars and then we were on our way after about 2 hours.

And thank you for the advice I will post it there as well.

Very close shave, glad you and gf are ok

I know :O! and Thank you.

Did u notice if they talked to her face to face....I'm thinking here about if they deduced that she wasn't drunk. Also, did u tell them about the vid & that she clearly ran a light?

Scary accident...Glad to see you guys were all right! The sad thing is she tried to pin it on you saying her light was green. The video speaks for itself.

Gald everyone is ok, car did exactly as it should have, from an impact like that airbags weren't needed. She took off your front plastics and not too much solid metal, hence no deployment. Dash cam definitely paid for itself right there. Sorry your car is gone. Hopefully you will get a new one you like too, at least the important things survived.

Good thing nobody was hurt, but it being California, you never know with the other driver!
Did it look like the light on the far right was red, and the ones directly in front were green?

This video reminds me why I turned off the internal microphone! heh heh

Back