New thread on polarizer filter for BlackVue DR500GW-HD

Hi erewhon

above all thank you for your great work ;)
I have order in Sculpteo the new design (blackvue-newdesignD-step5.stl) in black and i have order MagFilter 36mm.

In my cars is very very perfect.

(many photos and a video...)

Thank you lecyberbob!

Your photos showing how you assembled the pieces, and the photos and video showing the final result, were nicely done. I appreciate your posting them.

Hello erewhon

Thank you very much for all your time and effort in making/designing this item. above all, a very big thank you for sharing all this information with us all.

I've put in an order with Sculpteo and can't wait for it to arrive, many many thanks

Thanks mollydog!

I really enjoyed the process. The comments in the forum really helped, especially the one suggesting 3D printing. I should have thought of 3D printing right away, but I did not. Anyhow, it provided the incentive to learn about CAD (computer assisted design) and learn how to use two different CAD programs, to see what the various 3D printing technologies can do, and to find where to actually get things printed.

The process was quite satisfying when I finally held the tiny and precise part in my hands and found that it worked very well. It would have been hard to keep quiet about all that. This forum provides an outlet so that my poor wife does not have to hear about it all the time! :p

I can't wait to get my adaptor, erewhon, for sure it's people like you who enrich this forum, thank you for posting

Like this a lot...

Here is sort of a wrap-up of this thread....

(1) How to get the STL file for the BlackVue adapter if you want to print it yourself.
(2) Where to get free STL viewer applications to look at the STL file.
(3) Where to get the free 3D CAD software that I used to design the adapter.
(4) Adapter dimensions if you want to try to create the STL file yourself as part of a learning process.
(5) Ideas for other gadgets.

******​
(1) Get STL file...
Go to this Shapeways page and select the "Download Model" button (red arrow at lower left):
https://www.shapeways.com/model/135...d-magfilter.html?li=shop-results&materialId=6

shapeways-download-page-web_zps9fc38050.jpg

******​
(2) View STL file...
AnyCAD viewer at http://cnet.download.com/windows Do search on the cnet website for "AnyCAD Viewer". Windows only.

STLView viewer at http://www.freestlview.com/ Windows and Android versions. In the Android version you can superimpose two models to compare them.

GLC-Player viewer at http://sourceforge.net/projects/glc-player/ Mac and Windows versions.

******​

(3) Create STL file...
I used an eMachineShop application to do the original design. Its interface is more "traditional" and uses a 2D mechanical drawing approach. You can then render a 3D image (view only) to make sure you designed what you wanted to design, and export the result as an STL file.

See: http://www.emachineshop.com/

For a more "modern" approach where you work directly with 3D shapes, I tried DesignSpark Mechanical. I created an STL file that was a duplicate of the original from the eMachineShop application.

See: http://www.designspark.com/eng/page/mechanical

3D CAD design is not particularly easy, but I figure that the learning process keeps my brain working correctly! Since I am 68 years old, that is a concern of mine!

******​
(4) Part dimensions...
dimensions-top-web_zps354603ed.jpg

dimensions-side-web_zps6172bdfb.jpg

******​

(4) Other DIY projects...
Designing CPL filter adapters for other dashcams is an obvious possibility. Also, I have been thinking about designing quick attach/release adapters so that I can easily remove a dashcam and not attract bad guys. Forum contributor JazJon found a wonderful website with all sorts of magnets that could be useful in possible designs.

See: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Last edited:
Very intersting thread, and well done on making something which most people couldn't do such a achievement,have you tried making any for other model camera's?

I would purchase one or more for my camera if it was available,i wouldn't mind having a spare or 2, i own a DOD LS 430.

Hopefully the makers will take note of this and make the camera's to allow for camera filters to be used.

Well Done again on this Adaptor!

Mine arrived today and I soon fitted it to the DR500 then strait to the car, no vignetting what so ever, very very pleased with it and once more a very big thank you to erewhon for taking the time and effort in not only doing this but to share it with us, I have taken some photos of it as it arrived this morning and hope no one minds me posting a few (many) images, but I'm so pleased with it thought I would share, do note when I took the images I I hadn't yet tuned in the CPL so still some reflections but once tuned I go rid of the air vent reflection in the windscreen easily

wf62.jpg

8jgt.jpg

8y17.jpg

mmz1.jpg

zdpm.jpg

8nfk.jpg

j6g8.jpg

vmgp.jpg

7s60.jpg

jo75.jpg

4sst.jpg

jo75.jpg
[/IMG]

x4qu.jpg

t5pt.jpg

t0d5.jpg

sxo5.jpg

there is just enough friction to hold the adaptor to the blackvue without needing any glue to hold it to the DR500, well it is on mine which I'm pleased with, hope this is of help to others

Very intersting thread, and well done on making something which most people couldn't do such a achievement,have you tried making any for other model camera's?

I would purchase one or more for my camera if it was available,i wouldn't mind having a spare or 2, i own a DOD LS 430.

Hopefully the makers will take note of this and make the camera's to allow for camera filters to be used.

Well Done again on this Adaptor!

Hi Dandybound,

No, I have not tried designing an adapter for any other dashcam. The BlackVue was very easy to design for, since it is made of combinations and subtractions of simple and easily measured geometric shapes. This made fitting an adapter to it fairly easy.

Generally, you will need a large diameter filter mounted close to the dashcam lens. This is due to the wide-angle optics of dashcams. For my BlackVue design, I had to have the adapter actually extend within the metal housing of the filter, to within 1 mm from the surface of the actual filter glass. This was necessary to prevent "vignetting" or shadows of the filter metal housing appearing at the corners of the video.

I looked at your DOD LS 430 on Amazon and noted the listed dimensions - the lens barrel looks like 36 mm in diameter. It looks like the DOD has sort of a sun shade that would prevent mounting a filter close to the lens. My first thoughts were to grind off the sun shade ( :eek: ) so that a filter could be mounted close to the lens. Then, you might be able to mount a CarrySpeed MagFilter directly on the surface of the lens barrel. I'm almost certain the the 36 mm MagFilter would result in vignetting, but the 42 mm MagFilter might work. The ID and OD of the adhesive backed magnetic ring are 32 mm and 37 mm, so it might form a satisfactory attachment to the 36 mm OD DOD lens barrel (if the sun shade were removed). If vignetting still occurred, then you would have to consider an adapter that allowed the DOD lens barrel to go inside the filter metal housing (like I did with the BlackVue adapter). The 36 mm OD of the DOD lens barrel (my approximate measurement) is not compatible with the 32 mm ID of the CarrySpeed adhesive backed adapter, however.

All is not lost! Amazon has another CarrySpeed gadget that is a threaded adapter that can attach to a magnetic ring (glued to your dashcam), and the threaded adapter can in turn accept a threaded CPL filter. The CarrySpeed gadget is identified as 52 mm, which is getting nice and big! :) It warrants further investigation.

See: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00B0OVGPI
An entirely different alternative is to get sheets of polarized material (usually plastic), 3D print a rectangular holder for the material, and design some sort of easy magnetic quick mount/dismount for the filter holder. You would probably want to take the filter off at night, but there would be no need to rotate it. Designing it is easier said than done, but you could probably avoid cutting the DOD sun shade.

An example of polarizing sheet material: http://www.polarizingsheet.com/circularpolarizingsheet.php

So, no elegant simple solution that I can see. But, it may be possible with careful thought and 3D printer design skills.

Mine arrived today and I soon fitted it to the DR500 then strait to the car, no vignetting what so ever, very very pleased with it and once more a very big thank you to erewhon for taking the time and effort in not only doing this but to share it with us, I have taken some photos of it as it arrived this morning and hope no one minds me posting a few (many) images, but I'm so pleased with it thought I would share, do note when I took the images I I hadn't yet tuned in the CPL so still some reflections but once tuned I go rid of the air vent reflection in the windscreen easily

(photos removed from quoted post...)

there is just enough friction to hold the adaptor to the blackvue without needing any glue to hold it to the DR500, well it is on mine which I'm pleased with, hope this is of help to others

Hi Mollydog,

Thanks for posting the photos and telling us of your success with the adapter! I appreciate knowing that it worked for you, and that makes me happy. :p

Hi Dandybound,

I looked a bit more into a CPL adapter for the DOD LS 430. It turns out that the Amazon link in my slightly earlier post does not point to a suitable product. The adhesive backed adapter ring that comes with the CarrySpeed is too small.

The only solution that I like (and one that I would be comfortable with if I had your dashcam) involves cutting off part of the DOD LS 430. I'll outline the approach, and if you are interested, then maybe we can start a thread on the DOD / TioTech forum.

Here is a DOD disassembled dashcam (courtesy of the comparisons section of dashcam.com):
LS-Disassembled_zps8f6afa6a.jpg

Note that the outer lens barrel (inside shown in photo above) is empty inside and has no actual function. I propose cutting it off about 3.3 mm above the ribs on the outer lens barrel. See the photo below of ribs on the outer lens barrel:
ls430ribs_zpsec54b9e1.jpg

So, the outer lens barrel is gone, except for a little bit of a stub sticking out from the body of the dashcam.

We slide on a new outer lens barrel over the stub of the old one, until it bumps against the ribs (and super-glue it in place). Here are the top and bottom views of the new outer lens barrel. The dimensions are close to what the final design would be, based on doing proportional calculations from the images and dimensions found at Amazon.
dod-top-web_zps85af98bb.jpg

dod-bottom-web_zps73802579.jpg

Then, fit the adhesive backed adapter ring and CPL filter from the same CarrySpeed product used with the 3D printed BlackVue adapter.

Of course, exact measurements of the DOD dashcam would be needed. An adapter printed in resin rather than sintered plastic would have a very nice smooth finish, and would look like a commercial product. Black spray paint would complete the job on the DOD adapter. The only drawback I see is whacking off part of your dashcam. I'm entirely comfortable with such stuff, but many people would be reluctant. A Dremel tool would be useful for the whack job. You would need digital calipers for the measurements.

Interested??

Hi erewhon,

I've ordered a BlackVue DR550GW, do you know if your adapter would fit that model as well?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I just bought lens and the adapter. Is it safe to just stick it on? Looks like it barely sticks. (The adapter and the lens).

Ok, I just bought lens and the adapter. Is it safe to just stick it on? Looks like it barely sticks. (The adapter and the lens).

Hi vbx,

I'll post a few installation pointers in a day or so. It's easy to do and everything fits securely. Right now I'm feeling a bit beat and need some rest. :(

How long did it take for you Sculpteo to ship your product or to receive it?
I ordered my part of Oct 26th.

Hi vbx,

I'll post a few installation pointers in a day or so. It's easy to do and everything fits securely. Right now I'm feeling a bit beat and need some rest. :(

Hey, no worries. I got it down. Looks like it sticks to the lens pretty solid. No glue needed!

Thanks for your hard work. This thing works great and fits perfectly!

Alright, I just received my adapter today from France. As stated, you do have to sand just a little. I barely took any off. Just enough so I could jam the lens through the adapter. It's very snug. I can't remove it at the moment actually, lol.

Attached the filter without issue. Very slick. Thanks for the hard work.

Now, my question about using the filter lens. Do you remove the filter for night driving? Or does it not affect the video quality at night?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E DR500GW-HD 18
J DR500GW-HD 1052
Back