Shady neighborhood... Discreet (outside looking in) dual cam with good vision at night in park mode. Wifi viewing. Clean/slick install.

AustenKorowski

Reaction score
Country
United States
2019 4Runner. Basic rear view mirror, not auto dimming. Nice house adjacent to hood. Plenty of people checking door handles day and night. So looking to catch some good quality images of these people. Plus, the odd drive-by or catalytic converter thieves.

I don't want thieves to notice the cameras... even though they're usually oblivious to my normal security cameras. Plus, I like to keep my vehicles looking as OEM as possible. Don't want to worry about battery dying so I'll get an external battery probably.

Looking to spend under $300 probably. I see cylindrical ones, mini square ones like the Garmin's, wedges, etc. Also seems like every dang website and forum had a completely different list of recommendations in general with models changing every 6 months. Can anyone give me their opinion or suggestions?

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
How much light do the street have at night ? if it is low a dashcam might not be able to do much for you.

In general the best place to put a dashcam is at the top middle of the windscreen, but this can be hard if mirror is mounted off windscreen, or the car have a array of sensors there.
So you can be forced to mount a little off set due to that.
Most cars have a dotted area at the top of the windscreen, at least around the middle of it, if you can mount a camera on that and just have the lens part peek out below that would be optimal stealth.
Cameras with the wedge design also often come off as just another sensor, if they are mounted up high.

An new alternative is the systems where all the cameras ( 2 ) are remote, these remote cameras are smaller than stand alone cameras and so should be able to be more stealthy.
But so far not that many of those systems, i have the SG9663DR and the mini ( and other brand ) K2S but that one i have not confirmed as good for parking guard, the SG9663DR some with a hardwire kit so no additional purchase of that.

Personally as i park my car in a poorly lit / no light pitch black back yard behind the block, then i have a CCTV camera aimed at it, and in my case as i dont always park in the exact same place + i am zoomed in close to be able to identify i have a PTZ camera ( Pan - Tilt - Zoom ) which is a extra cost.
If you are parking in the same spot every day, you can make do with a smaller and manual zoom camera.
I have my camera mounted on my 2 floor balcony door.

A + with the CCTV system is it have smart motion detect,,, and notification i get on my tablet and phone, so i can easy hone in if there is action within a few feet of my car ( only trigger by human or vehicle shaped objects )
So i can also access the cameras from the internet, but the other cameras like the car one are aimed out of the apartment, have one in the door peephole and one on the back door / fire escape and one in living room window filming street below.

Of course as you park along a street you can not use motion detect as cars and people will be driving / walking by all the time, but with IR aided camera and zoom, you do stand a chance of getting a identifying shot.
But ! of course this do come at a extra price VS just getting a dashcam which i think you should have, suspect people or not.

Many IP type CCTV cameras today you can get with wifi, and they will like a dashcam have a internal storage, so i dont think you need to have the NVR ( Network Video Recorder ) main unit as i have for my 4 cameras.
With just 1 camera and wifi you can access it from TV or a phone / tablet to do settings, and i assume DL footage ( i have never tried this approach in CCTV cameras )
I also have PC access to my cameras, so when i am here on the PC i have the live feeds going in a minimized window i can access with 1 click of the mouse.

If you dont have any front yard, and it is just a sidewalk between the house and parked car, you could probably use one of those smart home camera doorbells.

There is also the option of putting up a trail camera, if you have a way to conceal it in a front yard.

Downside with the dashcams as CCTV cameras is.
Light or lack of it at night ( no problem if you park in a parking garage of course )
Temperatures in the day ( can get too high forcing camera to shut down )
Things on the windscreen, rain droplets - snow - dew - leaves ASO

You can browse this thread for pictures of peoples installs to get a feel for what might work for you. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-64

2019 4Runner. Basic rear view mirror, not auto dimming. Nice house adjacent to hood. Plenty of people checking door handles day and night. So looking to catch some good quality images of these people. Plus, the odd drive-by or catalytic converter thieves.

I don't want thieves to notice the cameras... even though they're usually oblivious to my normal security cameras. Plus, I like to keep my vehicles looking as OEM as possible. Don't want to worry about battery dying so I'll get an external battery probably.

Looking to spend under $300 probably. I see cylindrical ones, mini square ones like the Garmin's, wedges, etc. Also seems like every dang website and forum had a completely different list of recommendations in general with models changing every 6 months. Can anyone give me their opinion or suggestions?

Thanks everyone

I think you're going to have a hard time finding a quality cam that does what you want and a battery pack for $300 total.

No just the cameras under $300. Wiring and battery separate

Ah, gotcha.

I like to keep mine stealthy too, mostly because I hate a bunch of crap stuck to my windshield and sticky mounts don't hold up well in the heat of Arizona.

I prefer the cylindrical ones as they tend to tuck up close to the rearview mirror nicely, especially if you use a Blendmount. If your have any sort of plastic housing on the windshield in front of the mirror that houses sensors, all the better.

Rear cams are invisible behind a tinted window, so no real stealth worries there.

You can see how I did mine here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ra-post-your-pictures.502/page-61#post-533658

Welcome to the forum.
How much light do the street have at night ? if it is low a dashcam might not be able to do much for you.

In general the best place to put a dashcam is at the top middle of the windscreen, but this can be hard if mirror is mounted off windscreen, or the car have a array of sensors there.
So you can be forced to mount a little off set due to that.
Most cars have a dotted area at the top of the windscreen, at least around the middle of it, if you can mount a camera on that and just have the lens part peek out below that would be optimal stealth.
Cameras with the wedge design also often come off as just another sensor, if they are mounted up high.

An new alternative is the systems where all the cameras ( 2 ) are remote, these remote cameras are smaller than stand alone cameras and so should be able to be more stealthy.
But so far not that many of those systems, i have the SG9663DR and the mini ( and other brand ) K2S but that one i have not confirmed as good for parking guard, the SG9663DR some with a hardwire kit so no additional purchase of that.

Personally as i park my car in a poorly lit / no light pitch black back yard behind the block, then i have a CCTV camera aimed at it, and in my case as i dont always park in the exact same place + i am zoomed in close to be able to identify i have a PTZ camera ( Pan - Tilt - Zoom ) which is a extra cost.
If you are parking in the same spot every day, you can make do with a smaller and manual zoom camera.
I have my camera mounted on my 2 floor balcony door.

A + with the CCTV system is it have smart motion detect,,, and notification i get on my tablet and phone, so i can easy hone in if there is action within a few feet of my car ( only trigger by human or vehicle shaped objects )
So i can also access the cameras from the internet, but the other cameras like the car one are aimed out of the apartment, have one in the door peephole and one on the back door / fire escape and one in living room window filming street below.

Of course as you park along a street you can not use motion detect as cars and people will be driving / walking by all the time, but with IR aided camera and zoom, you do stand a chance of getting a identifying shot.
But ! of course this do come at a extra price VS just getting a dashcam which i think you should have, suspect people or not.

Many IP type CCTV cameras today you can get with wifi, and they will like a dashcam have a internal storage, so i dont think you need to have the NVR ( Network Video Recorder ) main unit as i have for my 4 cameras.
With just 1 camera and wifi you can access it from TV or a phone / tablet to do settings, and i assume DL footage ( i have never tried this approach in CCTV cameras )
I also have PC access to my cameras, so when i am here on the PC i have the live feeds going in a minimized window i can access with 1 click of the mouse.

If you dont have any front yard, and it is just a sidewalk between the house and parked car, you could probably use one of those smart home camera doorbells.

There is also the option of putting up a trail camera, if you have a way to conceal it in a front yard.

Downside with the dashcams as CCTV cameras is.
Light or lack of it at night ( no problem if you park in a parking garage of course )
Temperatures in the day ( can get too high forcing camera to shut down )
Things on the windscreen, rain droplets - snow - dew - leaves ASO

You can browse this thread for pictures of peoples installs to get a feel for what might work for you. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-64
Yeah, I'm a little surprised remote cameras aren't more of a thing. On the 4Runners there's both factory and aftermarket cameras that are miniscule that mount on the grill and hardly noticeable but they're just to connect to the headunit display so you can see obstacles when off roading. That would be my ideal setup with a module in my foot well by the fuse box.

I think I'll just go with a cylindrical one because as mentioned I like the decluttered/minimalist/OEM look. The only other one that is minimal are the Garmin Mini but this forum didn't seem very keen on them plus haven't looked up how the rear camera works with them.

Attachments

• PXL_20211003_190318558.jpg
    PXL_20211003_190318558.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 16
A possible battery option for something like this might be the MaxOak 50,000 mAh battery bank for about $130.00. It could power multiple cameras for extended periods of time and likely only need to be charged every few days.
For that amount of money you could set up a dual car battery system....like they do on RV/overlanders to power up a fridge while the car is not driving around.

For that amount of money you could set up a dual car battery system....like they do on RV/overlanders to power up a fridge while the car is not driving around.

That's true but it's not practical for everyone. For example, I've considered an auxiliary battery myself but there is just no room to install one in my pick-up truck including the engine compartment.

So, the reason I suggest this approach is that it is small, convenient and easy to deploy without any vehicle modification.

Yes the redundant battery system and a charge / load splitter is also my preferred way if i was to need longer duration parking guard, but yes there are some issues there, a battery would take up a lot of space in my already minuscule trunk.
On the other hand most of the dedicated dashcam batteries, you can find a place for even if they are also not taking up little room if you need capacity for longer recordings.
But a battery under each front seat i think most can do. you could probably also put 2 batteries on the firewall.

Thinking about this a bit more, I'm pretty certain that even if you could shoehorn an extra battery into a vehicle with limited space it would still cost more than the 50,000 mAh power bank I suggested. An extra automotive battery would cost nearly or as much as the power bank, plus you'd have to purchase a battery management/load splitter, plus the wiring and hardware, plus possible installation costs if you don't have the DIY skills.

Back