Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

JazJon said:
...I see a similar shaped camera reviewed but don't think it's related at all. http://dashcamtalk.com/smallest-hd-720p/ ...
That small camera (with ORANGE button) looks like that fakey from Russian review of Smallest Ambarella Car DVR (or ProCam CX4)

Last edited by a moderator:

almaz said:
JazJon said:
...I see a similar shaped camera reviewed but don't think it's related at all. http://dashcamtalk.com/smallest-hd-720p/ ...
That small camera (with ORANGE button) looks like that fakey from Russian review of Smallest Ambarella Car DVR (or ProCam CX4)

the orange button one came before these ones did

BTW, I am reading right now what Russian ppl (who has it already) say about this unit and not all excited. Especially because of mount.

Does anyone know how to adjust the audio from this camera? It sounds like there's too much gain and everything distorts at loud volumes. Driving on a motorway, almost no speech is understandable.

if there isn't a software fix, does anyone know where the mic is on the circuit board so I can muffle it or something?

irononreverse said:
Does anyone know how to adjust the audio from this camera? It sounds like there's too much gain and everything distorts at loud volumes. Driving on a motorway, almost no speech is understandable.

if there isn't a software fix, does anyone know where the mic is on the circuit board so I can muffle it or something?

The 808 #18 DR32 suffers from the audio problem as well. Someone said they "freed" the mic I think to help with the vibration harmonics. I can't remember where I read that though. Lets try the same thing! I wish there was an FAQ breakdown of the smallest amberellla

JazJon said:
irononreverse said:

The 808 #18 DR32 suffers from the audio problem as well. Someone said they "freed" the mic I think to help with the vibration harmonics. I can't remember where I read that though. Lets try the same thing! I wish there was an FAQ breakdown of the smallest amberellla

Here is is:
- viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1109&p=22258&hilit=Dr32+audio+mic#p22258
- http://techbraky.blogspot.be/2013/08/te ... phone.html
- http://techbraky.blogspot.be/2013/08/te ... phone.html
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50SQ7QW ... e=youtu.be

And finally: (the best fix)
- http://techbraky.blogspot.be/2013/08/dr ... e-and.html
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... q3QR8inKBs
Let's try to do the same thing!

It might look like the "Smallest HD 720p" cousin dashcam inside. (if so, we can re-mount the mic for sure to cut the vibration)
http://dashcamtalk.com/smallest-hd-720p/
Black-Hero-Disassembled-2.jpg

I just dug up more good info!
- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=85&p=17104&hilit=audio#p17104
"The audio was scratchy and noisy. After disassembling the camera, I decided that I would try replacing the microphone. Finally located an exact replacement at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0690560316. That solved the problem, though it requires some very fine soldering skills. To disassemble the camera, note that the circular trim ring on the left end of the camera just pops off, revealing 4 screws. Caution: when you go to remove the camera housing from the mounting ring, a spring-loaded ball bearing will slip out and fly across the room. Lay a cloth over the camera to catch it."

$T2eC16JHJGEFFmtYGsFrBRw-0bLpew~~60_1.JPG

The audio recording is really bad, so I just turned mine off.
No time to tinker with the internals, but I took mine apart to check if it's got the second memory slot. If anyone wonders, it did not. I guess the factory manufactures two different motherboards for this model.
If anyone tries to disassemble it, just lift the plastic flat ring around the power button, and unscrew the screws hidden under there. Be careful when removing the plastic round support at the end, because the little steel ball will fly out. Mine rolled on the floor, got into the heating vent and I thought it went straight into the furnace. But the ball stopped inside, and I was able to retrieve it. Anyway here are a few pics, a bit crappy because I used my phone:
This is the set I got from Givoe on Ali, the double car adapter was inside the box, too, as a gift.
IMG_20130624_173640.jpg

The rest of the pictures I was trying to capture the chipset labels, but you can see the mic, too.
IMG_20130630_213443.jpg

IMG_20130630_214255.jpg

IMG_20130630_214333.jpg

Reactions: Mtz

ciuvak said:
The audio recording is really bad, so I just turned mine off.
No time to tinker with the internals, but I took mine apart to check if it's got the second memory slot. If anyone wonders, it did not. I guess the factory manufactures two different motherboards for this model.
If anyone tries to disassemble it, just lift the plastic flat ring around the power button, and unscrew the screws hidden under there. Be careful when removing the plastic round support at the end, because the little steel ball will fly out. Mine rolled on the floor, got into the heating vent and I thought it went straight into the furnace. But the ball stopped inside, and I was able to retrieve it. Anyway here are a few pics, a bit crappy because I used my phone:
This is the set I got from Givoe on Ali, the double car adapter was inside the box, too, as a gift.
>image<
The rest of the pictures I was trying to capture the chipset labels, but you can see the mic, too.
>images<

Hey thanks for posting! So the microphone is Oval shaped on this thing? If I ended up with bad audio, I guess I try re-mounting it or adding anti-vibration material/rubber/hot glue-gun padding around it first. I'm not sure the round mic from the ebay link I showed will be compatible with the one this uses. Any way to get the specs off the Microphone? I don't have any trouble crimping on a new mic lead or soldering if need be.
EDIT: Jokiin says this is the Speaker not the mic.
iOwv5Jsm.jpg

Oh wait, I looked at your image again, and the BACK side of the mic shows it's round encased in the oval housing.
EDIT: Jokiin says this is the Speaker not the mic.
dvhFfuol.jpg

jokiin said:
That would be a speaker, mic is generally only a few mm in diameter

Thanks can someone point out where the mic is? I want to try to predict if it's possible to adjust/tweak/replace the mic on this thing or if it's way too small, and way too close to the circuit board.

I'll have a look at the pics later on PC, can't see them large enough to see on my phone

I suspected that might be the speaker, too. Just wasn't sure. Lol, shows how well I know my electronics.
I could probably find the mic if I would take the camera apart again. Last time I didn't study the motherboard too well, just checked if there is an internal memory slot, and saw that there is none, so just assembled everything back so it's ready to record the next day. Still, I don't remember anything else hanging by the wires like the speaker did, so maybe the mic is soldered on the motherboard directly?
If anyone can tell from the pictures, good, if not, than maybe someone else will make better pictures. It only takes a few minutes to take it apart, not complicated at all.

It's possible the hanging part is the mic not the speaker. Check out this CX4 Review page:

http://videoregistratori.ru/procam-cx4/

One of the comments below (translated from Russian to English) says

"Recently bought this device named. Basically satisfied.
Fixing disgusting! After 3 days of operation came loose and now when driving irregularities, the sound is spelled with mechanical distortion of the fact that regik loose and hanging out in the bracket. I'll have something to think about.
Very weak GPS module that constantly disrupts the signal. That is who atermalka and heating, definitely will run through again.
Overall a wonderful price, a maximum of 5,000 rubles. I overpaid for 1200 top do not understand, most likely for the hype."

What does it really say? (anyone know Russian to pickup the missed words?

Купил недавно сей дивайс. В принципе доволен.
Крепление отвратительное!!! Через 3 дня эксплуатации разболталось и теперь при проезде неровностей, звук пишется с механическими искажениями, из за того, что регик плохо закреплён и болтается в кронштейне. Надо будет что то думать.
Очень слабый GPS модуль, постоянно срывает сигнал. То есть у кого атермалка и подогрев, однозначно будет работать через раз.
В общем красная цена, 5000 рублей максимум. За что переплатил 1200 с верху не пойму, скорей всего за ажиотаж.

Also, You'll notice their demo video has NO audio issues

Uh oh..........

If the folowing is true, maybe I should have bought the model with the extra 8GB internal memory!!!! I'm guessing based on what I read below that it's the new REV 2 model

http://www.aeextr.com.ua/product_301.html
"Car DVR PROCAM CX4 Revision 2.0 - this baby deserves the attention!"

Look at this part.......

DVR CX4 second revision differs from the first one: built-in memory of 8 GB, the new wide-angle of 140 degrees , the new module gps and wide range of functions in a compact package.

ProCam CX4 Revision 2.0 removes the first-class video FULL HD 1920x1080p @ 30fps / s during both day and night. It should be noted that the gaps between the fragments of files are missing, it is very important because as the traffic situation can change in a split second. Complements the functionality of the new version of the instrument a wide viewing angle of 140 degrees , which will provide full control of road conditions ahead of the vehicle. "

This part is confusing!

"For ease of use ProCam CX4 revision 2 has a built-in 1.5-inch TFT screen and an internal memory of 512 MB ​​, which can hold about 5 minutes of video. The internal memory is great for quick copy important video without the use of additional funds.

Where to buy DVR PROCAM x-4 in Ukraine? - The answer is simple: Store EKSTRIMKAMSAs already stated, in the June version PROCAM cx4 memory 8 gagabayt already built in, but apart from that memory, you can expand it more and more memory cards up to 32 GB. Thus the device is ready for use after purchase. "

Maybe the audio problem was fixed in Rev 2 models? I might end up buying the one described above if the one I get has bad audio I can't fix. (and sell the one on the way as "new" on ebay)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 74589.html

What do you guys thing about the "REV 2" thing, is it hype or legit? I'm not sure if 140 degrees wide angle is good, what was the REV 1? (EDIT the picture shows 120 degrees) Which is more ideal>?

Also, from the procam site, Is is 2100 Ruble really only $64 USD?

Jokiin are your new cams getting close now.I am not even looking at others till yours are for sale. The wife can have the one i have now. And yours for the truck.

I speak russian; the first comment you translated is referring to the camera getting too loose in the dock, and shaking while driving, which he thinks is affecting the quality of the recorded sound. I guess the guy has been taking it out a lot when getting out of the car (fear of theft?). Maybe the plastic wore down. I personally haven't noticed any significant play in the bracket/dock connection, but I only take it out maybe once a week?
There use to be a Rev 1 of this camera, which had 512MB internal memory soldered on board. The Rev 2 of this model has improved sensor and optics, and has been manufactured since June. As far as I know the Rev 1 is obsolete and no one is still selling it.
Then, shortly after, the factory issued another rev, I guess you can call it 2.1? This one has an internal memory slot, so you can have one microsd card inside the camera and one slot outside. These will not run in parallel, but it's useful if you want to give the original video files with the micorsd card to the police on the spot. In this case before you do that, you can copy the important files to the internal memory and keep those for yourself. I'm not sure if the firmware allows it but in theory one could open up the camera take out the 8GB internal microsd and replace with a 32GB, although maybe there is no practical point?
One more thing, the firmware for Rev 2.1 does not work on Rev 2, I've already tried it.
Also, the price that you see on that website is not Russian rubles, it's 2100 Ukrainian Hryvnia which equals 258.40 US Dollar? That's in line with what Russian customers say on forums, complaining that the camera is 200-250 in Russia from Procam with local warranty, when they can get same camera for $100 from Ali.

robertthegreat said:
Jokiin are your new cams getting close now.I am not even looking at others till yours are for sale. The wife can have the one i have now. And yours for the truck.

I wish they were closer, we are getting there though, our debug samples should be about 3 weeks away, was meant to be 2 weeks but that's one of those things that crops up, anyway we'll have some hand built initial beta units which will go out to a few different people and likely some fine tuning before mass production, the models we're doing are getting done one at a time, basically because we need to as it's a lot of work for engineering staff so the next few months will be more of the same as we work through the same process on each model, the actual tooling has some overlap between a few different hardware versions (same outside, different inside) so we will save a bit of time from that so some of the later models will roll out a bit quicker hopefully, they are getting more complex as the models go though

have been working on this for quite a long time so looking forward to getting closer to release

haven't opened the product page on Ali for a long time, but did just now and very impressed that almost everyone gives it 5 stars feedback. Even if the firmware could use some polishing, it's good to see that at least there is some good quality control on the hardware and people don't get lemons.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back