Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

irononreverse said:
[offtopic]Support EIS electronical Anti-shake
Support digital zoom: Up to 4x (Lower Resolution is Available.)[/offtopic]

These two "features" seem to be made up, judging from Techmoan's video.

Wow it says that? WTF. I just added two more responses to my last post. I'm calling him (the NZ resller that is) out!

There are only a couple of suppliers of this model and there is some variation within the spec that is possible, that's not to say that what you have is different or not, I have the same one sitting on my desk with 6 glass lens, 32gb internal memory and 15mbit bitrate, they may have requested something different

Their price difference will primarily be a result of having to pay shipping, taxes etc, they won't be able to compete on price with a product direct out of China, I'm sure their focus would be the local market though, not re-exporting a product

jokiin said:
There are only a couple of suppliers of this model and there is some variation within the spec that is possible, that's not to say that what you have is different or not, I have the same one sitting on my desk with 6 glass lens, 32gb internal memory and 15mbit bitrate, they may have requested something different

Their price difference will primarily be a result of having to pay shipping, taxes etc, they won't be able to compete on price with a product direct out of China, I'm sure their focus would be the local market though, not re-exporting a product

They need to explain the lens detail and possible bitrate boost if that's true. I just don't see the difference in the raw download comparison. (same exact 10MBps bitrate) Apparently it's a corporate secret to share such facts? It for sure doesn't have the whopping 32gb internal memory.

I guess I'm mostly annoyed that the TechMoan review is pointing everyone to the NZ seller that has these kind of responses on youtube. We are just asking for the facts and calling out possible marketing shenanigans. TechMoan doesn't seem like the type that would take a cut off the top from re-direct sales but you never know. (maybe that's it)

JazJon said:
I guess I'm mostly annoyed that the TechMoan review is pointing everyone to the NZ seller that has these kind of responses on youtube. We are just asking for the facts and calling out possible marketing shenanigans. TechMoan doesn't seem like the type that would take a cut off the top from re-direct sales but you never know. (maybe that's it)
In my very brief exchange with him, he seemed very amiable. He might've linked the seller's website, not knowing how immature the seller would act.

JazJon said:
They need to explain the lens detail and possible bitrate boost if that's true. I just don't see the difference in the raw download comparison. (same exact 10MBps bitrate) Apparently it's a corporate secret to share such facts? It for sure doesn't have the whopping 32gb internal memory.

I was just explaining the spec that the sample I have are different to others, not meaning this is what they have, just pointing out that even though they can all look the same doesn't always mean they are the same, there's the possibility that what you have is identical spec to theirs, neither you or they would know that though, more importantly though Techmoan wouldn't know it either, considering how many different variations there can be to product that otherwise looks the same I think it's correct of Techmoan to link to the place where he purchased the actual product, some people may feel comfort in knowing that if they order one it is of the same spec as what was used in the review even if it is dearer, for a consumer it's a safer choice

not sure if it was the DR32 he recently reviewed and then people were upset because the product sourced elsewhere didn't match the quality of what he reviewed, what looks the same isn't always in a lot of these products

How long the in built battery will work? As per the Techmoan review, it last for meagre 10 mins :shock: . At times, it happens that you are also charging your mobile through the same cigarette charger and in that point of time you cannot record the videos more than 10 minutes.

Excuse me for getting too choosy, but its a genuine query :D

Any solutions for that? :geek:

jokiin said:
JazJon said:

I was just explaining the spec that the sample I have are different to others, not meaning this is what they have, just pointing out that even though they can all look the same doesn't always mean they are the same, there's the possibility that what you have is identical spec to theirs, neither you or they would know that though, more importantly though Techmoan wouldn't know it either, considering how many different variations there can be to product that otherwise looks the same I think it's correct of Techmoan to link to the place where he purchased the actual product, some people may feel comfort in knowing that if they order one it is of the same spec as what was used in the review even if it is dearer, for a consumer it's a safer choice

not sure if it was the DR32 he recently reviewed and then people were upset because the product sourced elsewhere didn't match the quality of what he reviewed, what looks the same isn't always in a lot of these products

True as always Jokiin! I think the wild variations of DashCam's out there is what originally made this site thrive as a new forum. If a seller is going to exaggerate their custom specs and than fail to back it up with facts, it's our job to call them out.

typicalvishu said:
How long the in built battery will work? As per the Techmoan review, it last for meagre 10 mins :shock: . At times, it happens that you are also charging your mobile through the same cigarette charger and in that point of time you cannot record the videos more than 10 minutes.

Excuse me for getting too choosy, but its a genuine query :D

Any solutions for that? :geek:

10 minutes is what I got as well. You only need the battery if you want to take it off the mount and record something after an accident etc. We all have smart phones to go longer than that. A bigger battery is a liability in the hot sun! You can use any standard mini USB cable to power the camera directly without a mount as well

Here's a good backup USB battery for $7 USD
Silver 2600mAh Mini Power Bank Backup External Battery Pack Portable USB Charger
https://www.ebay.com/itm/370865379052
Here's a good spare auto power adapter
Afunta(tm) DC 5V 2A Car Charger for Tablet PC MID eReader Diameter (mini usb Plug)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00CMNJ39W
Generic mini USB cables are like $1 on ebay etc.

To answer your question, it's best to hard wire the power cable to your car. You don't want to share the power between devices.

Buy one of these for $5
Attwood Marine 12-Volt Power Outlet (and hide it out of site)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B003EET3XY
Also see this tip
@LE55ONS on youtube has a great idea.
"I wired my dashcam into the live feed for my interior light. As a bonus it starts recording when I unlock and continues recording for 5 minutes after the car has been locked" More details: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2363

If you're lazy get this ugly thing:
Cigarette Lighter adapter dc to dc charger usb car adapter socket car splitter adapter 4 way plug socket usb outlet four way car splitter charger
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B003YJ8TVQor
http://dx.com/s/car power splitter

Here's a good DIY version as well!
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2310

Last edited by a moderator:
Update from eBay seller eprance! :D
Sent Date: Sep-06-13 02:23:23 PDT

Dear Jon,
Hello, so tired today, how are you now.hope you are fine.
We just got the MOV updating software, while it can't offers a speed display of MPH, and i have told your request to the factury , it may need some time for them to research. If you need me to send the MOV updating software for you now or waiting for the MPH display one??
want to know your opinion.
And the new item link is changed as follow:because the unavailable inventory and sell out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121171496845&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
would you pls help me for a promotion?
Thanks very much.
Demi"

Sent Date: Sep-06-13 02:28:13 PDT
"Dear e-prance,
Thanks! yes please send to XXX@XXXXX.XXX
or send me a filemail DOT com link
dropbox DOT com is another good way
I'll send a PM to DashCamMan on the forums to update the FAQ link to your new product page (no problem)
So yes I'd like the new firmware right away! I don't mind updating a second time if they add MPH.
I hope you have an easy day and are able rest up for the next.
Thanks again,
~Jon"

"Dear Jon,
(⊙_⊙), Thanks for your consideration, my effort is worth it :)
I will send to xxx@xxxxxx.xxx, is it right?
And now my colleague is go off work, and tomorrow is weekend, I will send you the next week.
Ok for you?
Have a nice weekend.
My Dear Jon.
●﹏●"

"Dear e-prance,
Hi Demi, Yes that's the right email! Please send right away, I'd like to use it for this weekend myself :) ~Jon"

I hope she sends! You can't leave me hanging with details you have it, but don't want to send it until next week! (uuuuuhhhhhg!) :(
EDIT:
-1 hour later, no email oh well.
-I'll give her a break since she's on top of things during the week like a true professional. (very impressive response times & clear communication even for Engrish!)
-I'm expecting the firmware update Sunday then. I'll video the process so it's clear on how it's done. I'll then post new .MOV samples at 11mbps.
-Finally I'll PM DashCamMan so he can update the FAQ page for all!
EDIT2! It's here! I'll make a new post so everyone get's notified who are subscribed.

HERE'S THE NEW .MOV FIRMWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember this is for Mini 0801 DashCam's bought via e-bay from seller eprance. (WITH GPS)
I can't take responsibility for this update messes up or bricks your 0801 bought elsewhere.
This is the first 0801 firmware released into the wild, so cross compatibility is unknown at this time.

-"Jon,
This is a decompression file, you can use it directly.
Demi"
firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin
https://www.dropbox.com/s/edio9k63204d1 ... I-TB15.bin

-Thanks Demi! I just downloaded it. I'll try the update process via settings menu. I'm excited! Thanks for going the extra mile for me! You really are the best! What are you having for dinner? ~Jon

-Dear Jon
hehe, Chinese food, spicy beef noodles, give you a picture, my favorite.
I'll go now.
See you.
Vx70gvn.jpg

-Dear Demi,
yum!
I put the firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin on the root of the folder and nothing happens. I don't see an update option in the GUI. Do I need to put the file in a special folder? I tried power cycling the dashcam with and without the card. If you're still around please let me know if you have more instructions.
Thanks again! ~Jon

Well I put the firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin on the root of my microSD card and nothing happened. Any ideas how to update the firmware guys? I'll try other folders.

I tried holding down different combinations of buttons while applying power, nothing triggers the firmware update yet, I'll keep playing.

I googled for the name of the firmware file and found a few Russian procam cx4 (cousin to the mini 0801) threads talking about recent firmware updates
https://www.google.com/search?q=firmwar ... I-TB15.bin

I'm digging through via google translate to try and find the instructions on how to update the firmware!

This looks promising:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... vlrhAXMViQ
(see cx4 downloads)

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 6bih%3D803
Check out this thead, it talks about firmware updating!
One example:
"The new firmware for the Procam CX4 v2.0 FW VER: 20130823 lies on the site prokama http://www.procam.ru/files.html
increased bit rate up to 15,5 Mbps. (Written in the readme.txt) :) Let's try it."
Huh?

Here's another clue on what we might need to do: (from same Russian forum thread above)
"Please note, if the unit does not issue a firmware issue, rename the file in the firmware-NO1.bin firmware-NO1-SPI-OV2710FLIP-TB15-M8452.bin"
Not exactly sure what that means let me think about it and try renaming my file

If you Read Russian please help! When I use the Chrome translate mode it messes up the download links. (and I see possible files with readmes)

I tried renaming the firmware file and putting in every single folder in original and renamed forms. (no go)
So again, have a look at the complete ProCam cx4 forum, some people have claimed they have 15MBps now! (and are raving about the video quality)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I thought I should respond to a couple of comments earlier.

The reason I linked to the NZ seller is because that's where I bought the camera from. I wanted to review this camera for a while but was waiting until someone on eBay started selling it, as that's my preferred place to link back to.

Co-incidentally then the chap in NZ got in touch and offered me the camera for free to review, initially I refused, but after waiting a while and the camera still not showing up on eBay, I decided to order from him. (I paid for it).

I am aware that the product is available from other resellers, but since I didn't buy from any of them I wouldn't want to direct anyone there. I have a lot of viewers in Australia and therefore wanted to see how it went down if I gave them a link to a 'local' seller, as a lot of people don't like using Chinese sellers on eBay (for some reason).

I would expect to see a lot more click-throughs to sellers from my usual eBay links, so in future I will revert to using eBay sources. I have no connection with the NZ store, other than buying my camera from there. I found them to be very quick and my order arrived in a few days, buy I have no idea if they use the same postal service with all customers. I also have no idea what special sauce they used in their camera, if any, because I have nothing to compare it against.

Reactions: Mtz
Techmoan said:

The reason I linked to the NZ seller is because that's where I bought the camera from. I wanted to review this camera for a while but was waiting until someone on eBay started selling it, as that's my preferred place to link back to.

Co-incidentally then the chap in NZ got in touch and offered me the camera for free to review, initially I refused, but after waiting a while and the camera still not showing up on eBay, I decided to order from him. (I paid for it).

I am aware that the product is available from other resellers, but since I didn't buy from any of them I wouldn't want to direct anyone there. I have a lot of viewers in Australia and therefore wanted to see how it went down if I gave them a link to a 'local' seller, as a lot of people don't like using Chinese sellers on eBay (for some reason).

I would expect to see a lot more click-throughs to sellers from my usual eBay links, so in future I will revert to using eBay sources. I have no connection with the NZ store, other than buying my camera from there. I found them to be very quick and my order arrived in a few days, buy I have no idea if they use the same postal service with all customers. I also have no idea what special sauce they used in their camera, if any, because I have nothing to compare it against.

Hey Techmoan, Welcome to the forum and thanks for the detailed explanation. We all love you at DashCamTalk! :D
Your style of reviews are stellar, thoughtful and very well spoken. (just an all around great guy) I've been researching DashCams all summer and watched all your reviews. I was surprised I picked a camera on my own that you had yet to experience. (pretty close timing though)

Any ideas on this firmware update? I'm emailing Vadim from the registratorviewer if he can help read the Russian cousin forum for the ProCam cx4 (which is basically the mini 0801 rebranded)

JazJon said:
Any ideas on this firmware update? I'm emailing Vadim from the registratorviewer if he can help read the Russian cousin forum for the ProCam cx4 (which is basically the mini 0801 rebranded)

The Procam firmware will be different to yours, the process may be the same but their hardware is different so don't try running their firmware (it shouldn't load anyway but just in case)

Techmoan said:

thanks for coming here and clarifying, I posted earlier that I felt it was logical that you should post the link to the actual product you purchased, made sense to me anyway

keep up the good work Mat!

jokiin said:
JazJon said:

The Procam firmware will be different to yours, the process may be the same but their hardware is different so don't try running their firmware (it shouldn't load anyway but just in case)

More wise words thanks. That's common sense for me, but thanks for spelling that out so everyone is clear! I in no way intend on trying a ProCam firmware on the 0801. (don't do it, bad idea)

I'm hoping the similarity will be close enough that the firmware update instructions clue me in on what to do or try next.

JazJon said:
I'm hoping the similarity will be close enough that the firmware update instructions clue me in on what to do or try next.

I'm sure the process will be the same, I think it will either be a file name issue or there is a companion file you need that they may not have sent, I'm not sure why (it's not how we do it) but on some versions of this model there's two files needed for the update, there are two distinct hardware versions though so they may have done something different to avoid any issues (just a guess though)

the seller probably needs to relay your question to the factory, most factory staff work tomorrow so you may get another reply tomorrow, if not I'm sure by Monday they'll have the answer for you, don't sweat it, you'll get there

jokiin said:
JazJon said:

I'm sure the process will be the same, I think it will either be a file name issue or there is a companion file you need that they may not have sent, I'm not sure why (it's not how we do it) but on some versions of this model there's two files needed for the update, there are two distinct hardware versions though so they may have done something different to avoid any issues (just a guess though)

the seller probably needs to relay your question to the factory, most factory staff work tomorrow so you may get another reply tomorrow, if not I'm sure by Monday they'll have the answer for you, don't sweat it, you'll get there

Thanks again as usual! I sent a followup email to e-prance asking for instructions and summarizing what you said. I'll let everyone know what I hear right away as usual!
(I'm more than on top of things if you haven't noticed by now haha) :lol:

Techmoan said:

Many thanks for posting here. I've spent many hours watching your videos, & am much better informed for having done so.

I can hardly bear to read some of the feedback to your YouTube videos. If I were you, I would use a standard copy & paste response ... "the answer to your question is in the video, so watch it again". Perhaps I'm not as patient as you!

I didn't realise you bought the products you test with your own cash. I assumed you were sent the stuff unsolicited, in the hope of a favourable review.

Based on your glowing review of the Mobius ActionCam, I'm suprised you didn't make it your permanent dash cam. What prompted you to splash cash on the Mini 0801?

I cannot make my mind up between the two models. Really though, I'm hoping that Nikon or Canon, etc will soon enter the market with a reasonably-priced dash cam based on one of their cheaper compact digital cameras, & wipe the floor with the current crop of no-name & often unreliable & poorly-performing dash cams.

There are a couple of reasons why I'm using the 0801 rather than the Mobius. Bear in mind that these reasons are probably specific to me and my car.

The main one is the mounting system - the 0801 is so easy and convenient. It sits flush to the window whereas the Mobius would stick out (quite a distance with the USB wire attached). In my tiny car there is very little depth behind the rear view mirror where I would want to mount a camera. The 0801 is also the most recent car cam I've tested and therefore gets the spot until it dies or I test something better.

Reactions: Mtz
Hi Matt nice to see you have joined the forum.....regards from the french connection.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back