Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

I've been lurking for a couple weeks and I'm new to the dash cam thing but I just received my Mini 0801 from Aliexpress Givoe. It came with the 03092013 firmware (GPS, no internal memory). It arrived sooner than expected so I still need to run out and grab a micro SD card before I can play with it.

JazJon, would it be possible for you to provide a link to the beta version of RegistratorViewer that you're using successfully with the 03092013 firmware?

Welcome to the 0801 Club.
Here is the Beta download link for a version of RegistratorViewer. I'd only use the Beta version until the official 5.3 comes out. (since it's not optimized)
http://download.registratorviewer.com/download/RegistratorViewerB.exe
Place it on the root of you microSD card. When you run it, it will auto load your entire .MOV clip collection and GPS routes.

My 0801 is traveling like a snail...
Was posted the 8 and now is in "collection" state since the 16. So it is still in china...

I ordered an 0801 from eprance on eBay on a week ago. After a week of shipping notice received or somesuch, it now no longer has a valid shipping ID. I emailed eprance via eBay today, and got a notice that they will be out on Holiday until yesterday's date (18th) eating mooncakes.

I have a feeling it'll be a while before I see my 0801. If ever.

I just got my new Givoe 0801+GPS+internal 8GB.
It arrived with firmware 20130903.
The first recordings out my window was 12.5Mbps. (1 minute = 102MB)
The internal 8GB is cool, if I eject my 32GB microSD card it automatically starts recording on the internal 8GB card.
In the playback section you can copy a file from one card to the other card.
You can pick which card is recorded to by default on the main menu. They use the words "inner card" and "outer card"

The double stick tape is light grey (again!)
luckily my dx.com order of double stick BLACK tape arrived today as well.

I'm gong to use Floss to removed the old mount, and then use my new BLACK double stick tape to stick on the new mount.
(might as well use the new mount just in case it's better)

I can confirm my new camera is FREE of dead/stuck pixals. (100% good recording)
Microphone seems excellent/sensitive.

Time to go for a drive!

Reactions: Mtz
Jokiin is right
Hang in there with the tracking, mine had no update for a full week then showed up 2 days after that. Customs inspections are random too.

Good news, the new Aliexpress-Givoe 0801+GPS+8GB internal cam is working perfectly. I went for a drive around the neighborhood, audio is MUCH cleaner I can tell. They must have fixed the mic or something int he new batches. I don't hear any rattle/static even when driving over bumpy roads. I'll post some new raw videos tomorrow. The black double stick tape looks MUCH better from the outside. (compete blended black profile now) The old mount residue was a paint to get off but Goo-Gone and a razor blade did the trick. I wanted my new camera closer to center so was worth the effort.

PS
It came set to the wrong language so be prepared to hunt up down in the menu blindly until you figure it out lol.

Last edited:
1st option in the settings menu is generally the language option

I think it was the second from the bottom actually, don't have it with me now though. I remember pressing the UP button to get to the bottom of the list and then 1 more up. (possibly two up actually)

I think it was the second from the bottom actually, don't have it with me now though. I remember pressing the UP button to get to the bottom of the list and then 1 more up. (possibly two up actually)
they might have reordered the menus from the default perhaps

Just received the mini 0801 from givoe.

It came with 0905 fw.
Very soft audio playback from the device and from the computer - can't hear indicators, etc. Even when turning up the volume of my head unit doesn't help much either.
Video quality acceptable.
Dead pixels in night videos.

The audio is really disappointing given the really soft playback. All else seems fine. Will report back after few more days of usage.

It came with 0905 fw.
Very soft audio playback from the device and from the computer - can't hear indicators, etc. Even when turning up the volume of my head unit doesn't help much either.

The audio is really disappointing given the really soft playback. All else seems fine. Will report back after few more days of usage.

Wow you're the first I've heard of that received the mysterious 0905 (instead of 0903)
Can you check the bitrate of your .MOV files?
I was hoping the weak audio and dead pixels were a thing of the past. I wonder if you got old stock that was simply updated via firmware only?
You might want to exchange it and specify you want fresh batch.

Wow you're the first I've heard of that received the mysterious 0905 (instead of 0903)
Can you check the bitrate of your .MOV files?
I was hoping the weak audio and dead pixels were a thing of the past. I wonder if you got old stock that was simply updated via firmware only?
You might want to exchange it and specify you want fresh batch.

Bitrate is 17248kbps (that's 16Mbps).

Loop recording seems to be working fine though.

The stock seems to be a September stock, as indicated on the "QC" sticker.

Just wondering, any of you has audio on both left + right speakers while playing back the video on your computer?
Mine only has audio on the left speaker...

It came with 0905 fw.

Just wondering, any of you has audio on both left + right speakers while playing back the video on your computer?
Mine only has audio on the left speaker...

Wow, what the hell. I only get audio out of my LEFT speaker as well. Audio is also quite muted when loud music is playing. It's not a deal breaker but disappointing.

b@166er Is your .MOV audio single channel or mixed into stereo?

I have a memory of reading the ProCam Russian translations that said the firmware update fixed the single channel problem. (was stereo after the update) Hopefully this can be resolved via firmware

Maybe there is an option in RegistratorViewer to mix the Left audio into a combined mono Left/Right mixed track on the resulting .MP4? I'm going to look and ask Vadim for this feature if it's not there already. That would be good enough for me. (boosted too)

EDIT:
Ok I feel silly, my old camera recordings are also mono (left channel only) The SoleMate BlueTooth speaker I use on my laptop has the speakers so close to each other, I didn't even notice it was missing the Right channel. I checked all my old recordings .TS and .MOV on 20130905 and 20130903

Last edited:
Not aware of any that use stereo mic, its usually mixed mono though

I don't think anyone wants an actual stereo mic, we just expect the output to be played in both speakers.
(mixed into left/right mono output)

I just played around with RegistratorViewer. (no mixed audio option) I hope I'm not bugging Vadim but I'm confident this is a feature that can be added. (time to ask) :)

The properties of the .MOV even say it's 2 channels

mHTMA54l.png

Ok stand by as I ask Vadim for a magic solution! I'm ok with having the raw files single channel as long as there is an easy to way to mix to stereo(mono) with out having to resort to complex pre-editing via other apps.

The properties of the .MOV even say it's 2 channels

mHTMA54l.png

Ok stand by as I ask Vadim for a magic solution! I'm ok with having the raw files single channel as long as there is an easy to way to mix to stereo(mono) with out having to resort to complex pre-editing via other apps.

The audio on my set is the same, 2 channels stereo.
But only left speaker has audio.

I hope he can make this happen...........

EMAIL:
Hi Vadim,

Sorry to bug you but I have another request I think you might be up for the challenge on.

The .MOV files recorded by the mini 0801 have 100% Left Only audio output.

The file properties show it's 2 channel stereo. I realize the mic is mono, but it would be nice if the audio was combined into 2 channels.

Can you add a feature that will mix audio of left channel into a 2 channel track of the resulting .mp4? That would be another great feature for mono dashcam users!

Thanks again for a great application, I donated what I could.
~Jon

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gg6ro85jw0oy48f/AMBA0024.MOV

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back