Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Here is two samples.

That night video actually looks quite decent.

Anyone know or use any program to remix the audio so the sound will come out from both left AND right channels?

For reading the mov files you can use VLC. It has a stereo mode menu and you can choose to hear the left sound on both speakers.
Maybe vadim can add a similar menu in RegistratorViewer.
I made a test drive. Audio quality is good even on bumpy road.Video quality is better than i had expeted.
But the angle of my windscreen seems to reflect all the dashboard on half bottom of the picture.
It's raining today. I hope it won't be worse in sunny day.

I was abble to use RegistratorViewer with mono sound.
It's a littel bit hard :Here are the step.
install ffdshow (i use klite codec pack)
Disable Microsoft dtv audio in RegistratorViewer by selecting never in the playback/decoder menu.
Launch a video.
See ffdshow audio blue icon on the systray.
Open it, tick mixer and select mono in otput speaker configuration.
Now you have mono sound on both speakers.
PS : It only works for playback since RegistratorViewer just copy data when exporting video/audio.

Thanks nuxator for your various suggestions, will be trying them out when I receive my Mini 0801 some time in the future. I do have VLC player and ffdshow installed, will get RegistratorViewer later.

What about programs to re-encode the MOV files into mono sound output in both speakers, if I want to upload the video to e.g. YouTube for people to review?

I already asked Vadim, here was his response:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index....r-dvr-a-k-a-mini-0801.1001/page-32#post-26447

What about programs to re-encode the MOV files into mono sound output in both speakers, if I want to upload the video to e.g. YouTube for people to review?

I'm not aware of any easy/quick way to re-encode the whole video's audio track from left channel only stereo to mixed mode mono.
There is a way though of course.

If I wanted to showcase something perfect and go all out to making Audio perfect, I'd use my copy of Cyberlink PowerDirector.
(if you're on a Mac, I'm sure iMovie would work all the same)

So I would suggest that you...
- First edit your video (leaving audio as is for now) to exactly the way you want it. (Using RegistratorViewer would be fastest)- Then take this Produced file, and extract the audio track. (using PowerDirector)
- Then use audacity, Adobe Audition, or Cyberlink AudioDirector/WaveEditor to edit this audio track and balance audio in the middle, or both channels (mono).
- Then import this corrected and pre-edited audio into an audio track beneath your edited video in the timeline above, and mute the video track.
-Produce new video via PowerDirector, upload to youtube

Thanks for the suggestion JazJon. I do have iMovie in my Macbook so I can play with it.

I don't see it as an audio problem, they made a questionable decision though to use the cheapest solution and do single channel only, not being able to switch to mph is due to space constraints, again that's a cost thing, it is built to a price so these are some of the things that happen

Dual mono audio is happening in the new version they're doing, maybe some of the other shortcomings will be addressed also

In regards to MPH vs. KPH, if space is an issue, then why not offer buyers a choice of the model with MPH or the model with KPH? As for the audio, being able to have the audio record interior sound, such as the turn signal blinker is something that I would like to have and consider it a key feature. Personally, I'd rather pay a slightly higher price for an effective cam that works well, even if it is slightly larger. Function should trump size in my opinion and if they address these issue's quickly and effectively, they will have a cam that can lead the market.

they could easily do two firmware versions, the primary market for these have traditionally been in countries that used the metric system so I guess it hasn't been thought about, audio works and it does record, just when you play it back sound will come from the left channel, it's not like there is no audio, just that it's recorded to the one channel

when I mentioned space constraints that was in regard to firmware, not physical space, the limitations that exist in the product are primarily cost related, if you want to build something cheap you have to give up something to do that, it is built on lowest cost components of their type

The USB menu is missing in the 0905 fw as well.

I know what I did wrong when I saw JazJon's picture.
I connected the USB cable from the PC to the GPS logger's port instead of to the port on the camera itself!

I know what I did wrong when I saw JazJon's picture.
I connected the USB cable from the PC to the GPS logger's port instead of to the port on the camera itself!

Ah, yes, I didn't even think to ask about that. I assumed the GPS logger was permanently stuck to your windshield via double-stick tape. Well at least you confirmed the USB port on the mount doesn't work for transferring files.

Jokiin, how did firmware 20130924 work out so far?
Did you get it to trip up with recycle/full card overwrites?
What bitrate does it record in?
Does that firmware support the internal 8gb card models?
Anything else you noticed added/missing?

Jokiin, how did firmware 20130924 work out so far?
Did you get it to trip up with recycle/full card overwrites?
What bitrate does it record in?
Does that firmware support the internal 8gb card models?
Anything else you noticed added/missing?

I ran it for 9 hours, it didn't trip up at all (32gb Sandisk Class10 U1), I needed the bench space for other cameras that I need to test right now so couldn't keep it running longer, bitrate is only at 12Mbit so that could possibly account for it not falling over, my cameras have 32GB internal but it may work with the 8GB version internal model, I have a sample of the model with no internal memory as well but that's in our QC inspectors car right now so haven't had a chance to look at that one again until he's in the office next, it hasn't fallen over of done anything silly though from what I understand

That's what happens to me as well though. I can leave it record all day/night and it won't trip up. (when connected to my laptop in my bedroom) It only happens in the car once I'm hooked up to the GPS mount and using the auto power adapter. The 0903 firmware I'm on also records in 12'ish Mbit too. There has to be something different that triggers the shutdown. (maybe weaker/unstable power makes a difference?) When you look at the Menu GUI do you see the choice for inner/outer card select? If so then it's compatible with my new 8gb internal model.

Are you allowed to share the 0924 binary or should I ask Givoe? Thanks for helping even though it's technically helping your competition. :)

That's what happens to me as well though. I can leave it record all day/night and it won't trip up. (when connected to my laptop in my bedroom) It only happens in the car once I'm hooked up to the GPS mount and using the auto power adapter. The 0903 firmware I'm on also records in 12'ish Mbit too. There has to be something different that triggers the shutdown. (maybe weaker/unstable power makes a difference?) When you look at the Menu GUI do you see the choice for inner/outer card select? If so then it's compatible with my new 8gb internal model.

Are you allowed to share the 0924 binary or should I ask Givoe? Thanks for helping even though it's technically helping your competition. :)

Just to clarify, testing is done using the supplied adapter and with the GPS connected, just with a bench power supply, the power supply is a stable source but I don't think voltage fluctuations in your car should be tripping you up unless your adapter was faulty perhaps or you had wildly fluctuating voltage in the car, think you'd notice other issues if it were a car problem

yes it has the inner/outer card select, doesn't have the USB select option, and is in Russian by default, my camera spec is slightly different but it 'should' be the same mainboard, you can try it if you want

I'll give it a shot, I still have my old e-prance camera so will start with that. (in case it doesn't let me downgrade or bricks) I'll chance it for the sake of progress :) I'm pretty good at flying blind on the GUI now when it's in Russian so no problem changing to English afterwards. I'd like to try this before ordering a new microSD card.

I'll give it a shot, I still have my old e-prance camera so will start with that. (in case it doesn't let me downgrade or bricks) I'll chance it for the sake of progress :) I'm pretty good at flying blind on the GUI now when it's in Russian so no problem changing to English afterwards. I'd like to try this before ordering a new microSD card.
is the E-Prance one with internal memory?

The e-prance is my original 0801 with no internal memory & dead stuck cmos pixels. (was ready to sell it soon) I've used firmwares on it in the past that had the inner/outer GUI selection and it still worked fine.

The Givoe is my new 0801 with internal memory. (currently in my car now)

I'm not sure it will load on the non internal memory version, previous versions I've had for the cameras I have wouldn't load on them, that may have changed though

Has anyone noticed that while driving the camera is recording and all of a sudden it stops. Or stops indicating it's recording. Normally it flashes the red LED and blue/red . But I noticed it stayed as Blue, I ended up taping the camera and it automatically started to record again with the same Red...red/blue LED combination.

I just played back my recording in RV, and didn't notice any skipping. Bug in the firmware? I'm running 2013/09/03

Well I'm willing to give it a shot before ordering a new class 4/6 microSD card next.

should have added the bench testing was on the internal 32GB Class10 (not that internal or external should make a difference), if with internal memory the factory normally fit Class6 memory

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back