Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Does anyone know the best way to remove the circular end cap (the on-off button in centre of it) which covers the 4 screws you need to remove to dismantle this camera.

I read that it just pops off, but my endevours to remove it using strong double sided tape to try and lift it has met with no success, and I obviously don't want to damage the camera in any way whilst doing it.

So any suggestions getting it off, I suspect it may be glued on ? despite my searches, I've found very little information on dismantling it.

It's held on with double sided tape. Just wedge something flat on there and slowly prise it off. The only thing you risk damaging is the tape and maybe scratching the edge if you used a metal implement.

When you do remove the screws, watch out for the ball bearing as you slide the loop section off

Last edited:
Does your G sensor calibration menu option work? Mine says please keep machine still and does nothing.

You're right it seems "G-SENSOR CALIBRATION" doesn't work on CX4's 20130911. All the more reasons I'd rather be on the official 20130913. As soon as Givoe or eprance get's back to me I'll share the 09013 firmware.

Ive been reading this forum and the Techmoan comments and obviously watched the video review. Im sure you all have too.

I just want a car camera that I can leave in the car and forget about. But is this still a bit glitchy? Seems to have a lot of problems. i wonder if I should hold off for a few months? I cant bare the thought of having an accident and the thing not working?

@Jim I agree with Lunar's recommendations and assessment of the 0801 below. I'm anticipating that firmware 20130913 will be the first "stable" long term use firmware we've all been waiting for. I'll post some sample clips of 20130911 shortly.

At the current time it appears new camera's are being shipped with version 20130913 firmware, and as long as you use a decent class 4 or class6 card, you should be okay.
The camera itself has a lot going for it, video quality is very good, and my tests at night have also been quite good, It's small and discreet, and so far using my Samsung class6 16gb card over last few days , which involved a overnight car round trip of 450 miles and it worked flawlessly, yes I've had a couple niggles like failing to switch on after charging on the bench with camera switched off, when battery goes flat but it came to life again after holding down the reset button, other than that my second camera is perfect, and I've since charged it a couple of times on the bench and it was fine.

So basically I can with certain reservations still recommend the camera, and if you do buy it, I hope you get a good one. :) I notice your'e in the UK, so I would check out this seller, his prices are a little more, but easier to resolve if any issues. http://joovuu.com/index.php?

Anyway... I wont be sending it back, as it would likely take many weeks to get it returned.

yeah... that's one of the downside of ordering stuff from China. Most of the time, the product will work fine.

Returning products to China is a slow and painful experience.

There was a good eBay seller from China who sold me a business VOIP switching device for about $200. It arrived defective.(not sure if it was manufacturing defect or being dropped by the US or Chinese post offices) The seller responded within hours and offered to ship out another one. All he wanted was a picture of me smashing the defective. I took a hammer and smashed it several times. Took a picture with my digital camera and emailed it to the seller. The very next day, I received a shipping confirmation for a replacement unit. (unfortunately, it was another 3 weeks before it arrived)

It's held on with double sided tape. Just wedge something flat on there and slowly prise it off. The only thing you risk damaging is the tape and maybe scratching the edge if you used a metal implement.

When you do remove the screws, watch out for the ball bearing as you slide the loop section off

I also thought it likely to be double sided tape, certainly well attached, thanks for the tip about the ball bearing, that's likely for the rotation notches on the inside rim, and will have a spring there too. I did see that mentioned on a site showing a similar designed camera being opened up.
I've replaced several iPhone broken screens which are also held down by double sided tape, using a hair dryer carefully to warm it helps soften the adhesive, but on those you can use a special suction tool which works quite well on good parts of the glass as a means of pulling it off.
On this camera there is very little space around the rim to get anything under it, at least not without minor damage, the fact its recessed doesn't help a lot and having the circular raised pattern on it doesn't help the tape lift technique either, but I'll try warming it a little at the end and try some tape again. I don't suppose you know if the centre on/off button comes away with it or stays in place ? I suspect it stays in place when the outer rim is removed.

Last edited:
Ok here's my update on 20130911 (mixed but GOOD news)

As I said I have two 0801's so I could perform two tests simultaneously.

My newer 0801 (with internal) - It's working great so far! I confirmed the 32GB Class 4 card I had in last is full and in recycle mode. (it first recorded non top 4.5 hours, and looked to make sure AMB0001.MOV was long gone) I let the camera go auto on/off several times and it keeps on recording like it should no problems.:) Automatic Perfection like it should.

My old 0801 (with out internal) - It's falling over on the 32GB Class 10 card. o_O It recorded non stop 4.5 hours. I stopped it, confirmed it's full and in recycle mode. I let it power back up and after a minute or so I get "LOW SPEED CARD" error on the screen and it stops recording. Why it says Low speed when it's using the faster of the two microSD cards is beyond me. This plays into the instructions warning about not using Class 10 cards though!

Ok, so get this!
I swapped the microSD cards, and the problems followed!
-the newer 0801 now with the class 10 card fell over with low speed error
-the older 0801 now with the class 4 card is recording non stop no problems (on/off/on/off dozens of times)

So as of now, firmware 20130911 is stable on 32 Class 4 microSD cards, has fantastic 17Mbps video quality, and ads the new delayed power off feature.
EDIT: It's actually a variable bit-rate so all depends on how much light/movement/sound you have. So it conserves space automatically. (every file isn't giant sized)
:) <~~~~~

I'll test more tomorrow in my car to make sure GPS is still ok etc. I'll post some new raw sample mov files too.

I'd like to hear how other people's cards hold up. (since a few members have 16GB cards) Let us know how it works out for you. Class 4, Class 6, Class 10)

My results are somewhat opposite. I had to do an unexpected 350 mile road trip for work today which ended up being a good chance to test both of my cards, 16gb class 10 and 32gb class 4 (same SanDisk that you ordered from amazon). Still using Pro Cam 0911 fw. I have GPS but no internal card. I set off this morning with the camera and both cards, which were both already full from testing them last night.

The 32gb class 4 stopped recording on me 3 or 4 times out of the 10 (approximately) times that it was started. It stopped recording at random times, but all within the first couple minutes, and as early as 20 seconds in one case. I tested on 1 and 5 minute loops and it acted the same with both. I didn't get any error messages, at least not that I saw. It simply stopped recording and gave me the solid blue led. Each time I could just hit the OK button and it would start recording again without problems.

On the way back I popped in the 16gb class 10. It only stopped recording once out of probably 12-15 starts (I was playing with it a little bit by turning it off and on via a switch). The one time it did stop recording, something, possibly an error message, flashed across the screen but I didn't see what it said. It's possible this happened with the 32gb card too but I don't know for sure.

So neither of them was completely reliable. The 16gb seemed more reliable but there's a chance that the results were purely random. Who knows...

I only had a few short trips in the car today. I'm using my newer AliExpress Givoe 0801 (with internal) still on CX4 20130911 with the amazon Sandisk 32GB Class 4 card. I had at least 10 on/off's with the car. (parking at various places) Everything is still rock solid. (so far so good) @Gearhead82 Bummer that you still experience the drop outs even on your class 4 card. Let's hope 20130913 resolves what ever issue you have. Where did you but yours from again? (and what was the original firmware it arrived with?) There has to be some other subtle differences between our 0801's.

I left my older eprance 0801 (without internal) using the 4GB Classs 4 card record for more than 18 hours in my bedroom now. I unplugged the power off/on several times and it's still rock solid.

I only had a few short trips in the car today. I'm using my newer AliExpress Givoe 0801 (with internal) still on CX4 20130911 with the amazon Sandisk 32GB Class 4 card. I had at least 10 on/off's with the car. (parking at various places) Everything is still rock solid. (so far so good) @Gearhead82 Bummer that you still experience the drop outs even on your class 4 card. Let's hope 20130913 resolves what ever issue you have. Where did you but yours from again? (and what was the original firmware it arrived with?) There has to be some other subtle differences between our 0801's.

I left my older eprance 0801 (without internal) using the 4GB Classs 4 card record for more than 18 hours in my bedroom now. I unplugged the power off/on several times and it's still rock solid.

Mine is from Aliexpress Givoe. Originally shipped with 0903 fw.

Mine is from Aliexpress Givoe. Originally shipped with 0903 fw.

Interesting, we have the same batch then, mine has 0903 as well.

Someone on the TechMoan blog just said their's arrived with 0922! (they said 2023, but clearly meant 2013)

Anyone know the answer to his question? It looks like they brought back the GPS open/close again (open = on close = off)
I don't think you can display everything at once. I leave all my 0801 stamps off and add them later via RegistratorViewer.
But anyway, looks like I need to ask for both 20130913 AND 20130922 (maybe they will have an October firmware by now as well)

"Quick question.. I bought this from Givoe a couple of weeks ago - it has a firmware update of 20230922 - the issue im having is that i can not get the gps to appear as a stamp. I purchased the GPS/TF32GB option and 8GB backup built in.

When i cycle through the display options, GPS does not appear, even though under the GPS category i have it set to "Open".

am i doing something wrong? Ive connected the GPS mount onto the camera itself and turned it on thinking it would acknowledge the GPS functionality but it doesnt appear to be doing so. Is there a trick to this?

Also, how did you get your DRIVER, DATE and TIME AND GPS to all appear on the video at once? i dont see where i can do that."

Last edited:
the functionality can vary according to firmware version, there's a finite amount of space available and I'm not certain they have enough space available to be able to include all the functionality in the one version

the functionality can vary according to firmware version, there's a finite amount of space available and I'm not certain they have enough space available to be able to include all the functionality in the one version

just how many companies are manufacturing the 0801? based on this thread alone, I counted 4 different companies....(possibly 5, but I haven't heard back from the 5th company yet)

is one copying the other? or are they all buying the design from someone? or are they all the same company? :)

Yes it would be nice if there was a list of all the menu options with each update of the firmware. The fw on my 0801 received this Saturday is 2013 0903, and it has 26 menu options on the screen display. Most of them, but not all are described in the old pdf manual.:)

Yes it would be nice if there was a list of all the menu options with each update of the firmware. The fw on my 0801 received this Saturday is 2013 0903, and it has 26 menu options on the screen display. Most of them, but not all are described in the old pdf manual.:)

I'm waiting until we get/test the new firmwares and everything is sorted before sending DashCamMan a complete write-up of things to add to the FAQ page. We'll brain dump everything we've learned on to the FAQ page. The how to unbrick USB trick is great along with the differences in firmware options + the need to use class 4/6 & avoid 10.

Here it is for any newbies just surfing on in
http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

Someone on the TechMoan blog just said their's arrived with 0922! (they said 2023, but clearly meant 2013)

Anyone know the answer to his question? I looks like they brought GPS open/close again (open = on close = off)
I don't think you can display everything at once. I leave all my 0801 stamps off and add them later via RegistratorViewer.
But anyway, looks like I need to ask for both 20130913 AND 20130922 (maybe they will have an October firmware by now as well)

"Quick question.. I bought this from Givoe a couple of weeks ago - it has a firmware update of 20230922 - the issue im having is that i can not get the gps to appear as a stamp. I purchased the GPS/TF32GB option and 8GB backup built in.

When i cycle through the display options, GPS does not appear, even though under the GPS category i have it set to "Open".

am i doing something wrong? Ive connected the GPS mount onto the camera itself and turned it on thinking it would acknowledge the GPS functionality but it doesnt appear to be doing so. Is there a trick to this?

Also, how did you get your DRIVER, DATE and TIME AND GPS to all appear on the video at once? i dont see where i can do that."

Ya i was the one who just posted that.. There is in fact - a 20130922 firmware.. i have the BLUE MENU - just an fyi in case you had orange one.

So now i understand i can use registrar viewer to add the data after the fact - which is awesome. I guess my only remaining questions is.. ive bought the GPS unit but i still havent seen the tiny little gps icon appear while its in my car, should i wait a bit longer to see if it picks it up? or should i just look to see if there are gps files in the gps folder while in USB Mass Storage mode?

thanks,
nick

THIS MAY HELP IF YOU NEED TO DISMANTLE YOUR MINI 0801 as I needed to take mine apart to fix a faulty switch.
---- This will obviously CANCEL any Warranty ** AT YOUR OWN RISK ** ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUCCESS. I managed to eventually remove the end circular cover with out leaving a single mark so pleased about that, and it is indeed just held on with circular doublesided tape, and once you remove the 4 screws it's pretty straight forwards, just have to be careful when you withdraw the ring that the small ball bearing inside for the rotating position ratchet doesn't shoot across the floor. There's also a tiny spring under it that fits into a hole designed to apply pressure to the ball bearing for the positioning ratchet...all simple stuff, but whole thing is neatly designed IMO. after removing the rings, you can now proceed carefully to prise the 2 halves of the case apart, I suggest you start at the on-off switch end, as it's easier to get started, because now the rings are off, any tiny marks you leave won't show at the end as they will be covered once it's re-assembled, just be very careful you don't mark the case, especially along the seams as the plastic is half thickness due to overlapping each other when it snaps together, it does come apart fairly easy.

The hardest bit is getting the cover off without leaving any marks, I warmed the disc up with the hair drier so it's warm, NOT hot or it will melt..lol, and it came off just using strong adhesive tape, but if that fails the only way is under the edge (very carefully)
Infact if you look closely at the pics shown on this other camera which is similar you will see the on-off button is chewed up and a hole was drilled through the end cover, thats why it looks as though it had 5 screws when in fact it's just 4. the other one is where the drill caught it. http://dashcamtalk.com/smallest-hd-720p/ I assume that camera shown in the pics was faulty so not too concerned about any scuffs and marks.
I would have cleaned the CCD as it has 6 or 7 dust particles on it, but it's mounted directly into the back of the lens assembly and may even be made as one unit, and at my age I'm not even going to attempt it..lol in fairness the particles are only visible on a solid light background, in normal use you cant really see them, so I can live with that...well it is only a Dashcam, what do you expect for £67...lol

Luckily I was quickly able to see why the UP button was not working properly, though my large bench magifier with built-in light helps a lot with jobs like these, one side of the switch where it's connection is supposed to be soldered to the solder pads on the board had not been soldered, and was just sitting loosly on the board, I could see it move if I pressed sideways on the switch, which explained why it worked sometimes if I applied some side pressure to the switch when pressing it. A few seconds with the Antex iron with a very fine tip and job done, I also re-soldered a couple more joints that looked like they may benefit from re-soldering, otherwise all looked good. I should have taken Note of the battery they used, but easy enough to replace, it's just mounted with double sided tape above the speaker.

Re-assembly is extremely easy, make sure the speaker is in it's slot or the 2 sides won't click back togther properly, and make sure the positioning ratchet ring is in it's correct position, then tilt it forwards to clear the hole for the spring, place ball bearing on the spring and press it down so it enters the ratchet coller as you slide it on. Before you insert the 4 screws double check the ratchet coller ring is in correct postion, insert the screws and tighten down, but don't over tighten otherwise it can make the positioning ratchet stiffer to turn, if your happy with everything, clean the the outer ring face with isopropy or similar cleanser and warm the outer cover cap and press it back on...job done. ( I warmed both just to be sure it sticks well)

Powered it up, and chuffed to say that all 3 buttons work great, ( though I did test it before pressing the 2 sides back together) BTW it was good to see they had used switches that could at least be replaced if one were to go faulty, it's just a quick de-solder job and re-solder another back in. I did note that the connection tags on the switches however are very short indeed at about 0.5mm so quite easy to think yourv'e soldered them but infact you haven't, also need a steady hand...lol

So 1-hr well spent., now got 2 good mini 0801 camera's again :)

I always recommend users to return their camera for repair if under warranty, I just don't take my own advice...lol

Last edited:
just how many companies are manufacturing the 0801? based on this thread alone, I counted 4 different companies....(possibly 5, but I haven't heard back from the 5th company yet)

is one copying the other? or are they all buying the design from someone? or are they all the same company? :)

the design all comes from the one source, I think though you are confusing the sellers with manufacturers, there is more than one factory you can buy this product from, they all get the mainboard and housing from the one supplier, I know 4 factories that buy this mainboard and housing and do their own finished product, I don't think any of the 4 do direct sales to consumers (3 of the 4 I know do not), they sell to wholesalers that sell online etc, the Procam version comes directly from the original factory, realistically they may have more success with updates primarily due to the info not having to go through multiple channels and any misinterpretation that happens as result of many points of contact so monitoring what they have happening with firmware is probably worthwhile

I'm waiting until we get/test the new firmwares and everything is sorted before sending DashCamMan a complete write-up of things to add to the FAQ page. We'll brain dump everything we've learned on to the FAQ page. The how to unbrick USB trick is great along with the differences in firmware options + the need to use class 4/6 & avoid 10.

Here it is for any newbies just surfing on in
http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/
Thanks for the feedback. The write ups are excellent, and the pointer to the Russian ProCam CX4 site was also interesting. :)

Givoe is back from Holiday. I got a response from Lia.

"Dear Jon,
Thank you for updated information, end the nice holiday, so this problem is meet you 0801 buy from ebay or my store?
pls tell me your fw version, I need to ask factory about this problem, also we have new fw, but because just end the holiday.
So will give you later.
Best wishes,
Lia"

I let her know about how I tested both of my camera's and how the Class 4 vs Class 10 cards behaved. (and that the problem followed the card when swapped)
I tried to simplify my response in a way best auto translated from English to Chinese.

Stand by for new firmwares! Hopefully the engineers aren't too hung over from the long holiday.

Hopefully the engineers aren't too hung over from the long holiday.

I'm guessing your version of a holiday is a bit different to theirs ;)

They'll be back to work tomorrow but I'd expect they'll still be busy for another week due to prepping new models for the shows that start at the end of the week

Anyone know the answer to his question? It looks like they brought back the GPS open/close again (open = on close = off)

The 20130913 version also has the option to disable/enable the GPS

The amount of stamp info is limited I think, I read that if you enable the Driver details option, you then cannot have your speed displayed if you have GPS as there's insufficient space on the screen so maybe they do the same with some of the other stamp combinations.

Think you are probably right about 20130922 being the most recent, a friend rang me Sunday saying his camera arrived Saturday morning, and he says he has 130922 as well, after asking what my firmware was, he seemed to enjoy the fact his was newer..lol, I didn't know he'd ordered one, but I mentioned I'd ordered 2 a couple weeks ago.
Certainly seems to be quite a bit of activity with these different firmwares being released, it would be nice if they made them available, so we could download them to try, or maybe they don't want any feedback on them. as they already have enough beta tester's..lol I forgot to ask him where he bought his from. He did say it was supposed to have 8gb built-in, but he could'nt see any reference to it, which is why he phoned.

So question.. my 2nd one was advertised as being the 8gb version too. If you have the built-in 8gb would it not show an option for it in the settings ? and if it doesnt show any mention in the settings, if one had the 8GB version would it not switch to the onboard 8gb if no external card is inserted ? I'm assuming this last one of mine does not have the onboard 8gb, although it was supposed to have it, as I can't see any reference to it in the settings and it certainly doesn't work unless I insert a card.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back