Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

iv

ive just updated my FW from 0913 to this one , my cams from GIVOE, it worked just testing over night now, lunar ive noticed with this FW the recording time has gone from 4 hours to 5 hours available to record on a 32gb card, does that mean video quality is reduced?

I suspected the bitrate had been reduced slightly, as I noticed it was lower than previously when I checked one video file taken inside the home, but put it down to the fact it records at a variable bitrate, so sometimes it writes at a lower figure, and other times when there's lots happening it will record at a higher rate.

The brief comparison tests I did this morning indicated no noticeable deteriation, though I'll do some checks, but in view of your observations, I would not be at all surprised to find they have reduced the recording bitrate in order to bring some stability back to the camera, because previously out on the road my 0913 firmware was recording at about 17200kbsp, which is quite high, and is much higher than my Mio 368 for example which writes at about 13500kbps. In fact there are not many dashcams out there that write at such a high bitrate as the mini 0801.

So it would make sense to reduce the bitrate slightly simple because many of these camera could not sustain it without have lots of issues. Personally I would rather have a much more reliable camera with a lower bitrate than one with a very high bitrate that was volatile and unreliable. Even joklin stated many times that he considered the mini 0801 camera high recording bitrate as possibly a prime cause of many issues some people have been experiencing.
Also when you consider that users have stated that disabling the audio seemed to offer a fix for some, plus other patterns too is very indicative that it simply struggled to maintain and write at that higher bitrate, on some cameras anyway.

If it means the image quality is reduced a touch, in order to get a full stable working camera then I think most people would consider that a better option than one that gives a better image but only when it rarely works...lol You can't have it both ways guys...lol. Though in reality I've not seen a significant difference in image quality, but if indeed it is writing at a reduced bitrate which my money is on, then yes it's posible the image will likely not be quite as good.
What do you want ? great image quality and crap reliability, or a not quite so good image, and a fully working stable camera. ? I think the choice is obvious. and you do have to look at the pluses.. we do get a longer recording time...lol. and the real big plus.. you still own one of the most discreet cameras you can buy.... but now it works... we hope. :)
After all it is only a car dash camera, and not something like a 3ccd camcorder costing several hundred pounds or a BBC broadcasting studio camera. ;-)

Last edited:
My new E-PRANCE 0801 (GPS with no-internal-8gb) is on the way soon. I'm hopping it arrives with October firmware as well. (re-cap, I returned it to fix dead/stuck pixals that showed up on low light recordings) E-PRANCE is sending me another Samsung 32GB Class 6 card as well. They even pre-tested both over night for me.

2013-11-10 19:25:00SYYX Despatch from Sorting Center
2013-11-11 00:30:45SHENZHEN Arrival at Sorting Center
2013-11-11 11:46:11SHENZHEN Despatch from Sorting Center

My Givoe/Aliexpress (GPS with internal-8gb) is still running rock solid on firmware 20130924. It never trips up, and records day after day without fail. The only problem is the G-Sensor no longer will calibrate. (and I assume not working period) I don't care about G-Sensor right now though.
3oHO19Rm.jpg

So since I have a new 0801 on the way, and my 0801 is currently my REAR dashcam, I'm going to go ahead and try using 20131026 just to give us more feedback. I know if it ain't broke don't fix it usually applies, but I want to continue pushing progress here :) I can always downgrade to 0924 again.

I updated 2 of mine to 20131026 firmware yesterday, and after about 19hrs testing it does indeed appear to be a good stable firmware version. Certainly no issues here.

20131026 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzaK5CGt2pO6cnJJT1FXankzMzA/edit?usp=sharing (Thanks Lunar)

Stand by for my results. (hopefully it's just as stable and possibly restores G-Sensor but doubt both)

Last edited:
I'm new to dashcams and this forum (my first post).

Last week bought two of these (GPS version) via AliExpress/Xinrantechnologies.
Ordered on Thursday 7 Nov and they arrived by courier in South Africa on the 13th - impressively rapid service.

They came with the 20131026 firmware.

I'm new to dashcams and this forum (my first post).

Last week bought two of these via AliEpress/Xinrantechnologies. They came with the 20131026 firmware. Ordered on Thursday 7 Nov and they arrived by courier in South Africa on the 13th - impressively rapid service.

Welcome to the club, I hope they prove to be stable with the 20131026 firmware. (so far so good, keep us updated once the cards are full and in recycle/loop mode)

Well mines been on all night and is still videoing. I am going to check out how much space is on the card it should be near full by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on my GPS/no int. memory/firmware 20131026 version….
Now been in and running for a week. No problems whatsoever! All clips recorded to and from work each day etc. Plays back fine on Registrator program with all data. Seems stable enough so far.
I ended up doing as Lunar said and slightly bent the mini usb power plug to get a better connection. However, am about to go out and install a new connector with a 90 degree plug (to make it look a little tidier!). I also changed the grey 3M sticky pad for a black one. Both "aesthetic modifications" courtesy of ebay!
Will try and post sone photos of it installed later on.
Other than that, slightly disappointed with "complete darkness/headlights only" night quality. Not really sure what I expected though. Fine with street lights, excellent in daylight. May try a few different AE bias settings and see what happens. It's been on +0.7 all week. Audio quality is more than acceptable when played back on pc.
Shame it wouldn't fit directly behind my rear view mirror, but my windscreen is quite "flat" or should I say with very little rake and the mirror sits on a short stalk very close to the screen. Have had to mount it alongside the mirror which means the little blue led is slightly distracting at night. I feel a small piece of sticky tape might be in order.
Overall, well pleased with this value for money device :)

Now been in and running for a week. No problems whatsoever! All clips recorded to and from work each day etc. Plays back fine on Registrator program with all data. Seems stable enough so far.
I ended up doing as Lunar said and slightly bent the mini usb power plug to get a better connection. However, am about to go out and install a new connector with a 90 degree plug (to make it look a little tidier!). I also changed the grey 3M sticky pad for a black one. Both "aesthetic modifications" courtesy of ebay!
Other than that, slightly disappointed with "complete darkness/headlights only" night quality. Not really sure what I expected though. Fine with street lights, excellent in daylight. May try a few different AE bias settings and see what happens. It's been on +0.7 all week. Audio quality is more than acceptable when played back on pc.
Shame it wouldn't fit directly behind my rear view mirror, but my windscreen is quite "flat" or should I say with very little rake and the mirror sits on a short stalk very close to the screen. Have had to mount it alongside the mirror which means the little blue led is slightly distracting at night. I feel a small piece of sticky tape might be in order.

what memory card you using?

There is also ISO settings but it only goes upto 400ISO

Mine has been supplied with 32Gb Class 10 samsung card. I have managed to make the camera crash I have locked all the files by pressing the menu button and stuff and it only has 520mb of storage left. DOH

It came up with card too slow then io card error.

There is also ISO settings but it only goes upto 400ISO

Mine has been supplied with 32Gb Class 10 samsung card. I have managed to make the camera crash I have locked all the files by pressing the menu button and stuff and it only has 520mb of storage left. DOH

It came up with card too slow then io card error.
I may well have a play around with the ISO settings as well and see what difference that makes in the dark.
Not sure what has happened with your total lock up. May be worth trying the "master reset" by holding in the on/off button on the side for a ten seconds or so?

I filled the card up and then ended up in the playback menu and accidentally clicked lock all video instead of lock one. so it wont record over any files and its out of room to record anything else. LOL my bad.

My update as suggested I downloaded the Registrator Player software for my 0801 carcam run the .exe file program opened o/k open folder containing .mov clips inputed o/k but when run comes up with Codec not found avci & AAC it then suggest to instal k-lite . Went back to Registrator site and tried to download there highlighted link at top of page after hunting through menu I downloaded there missing codec all I got was a Trojan virus picked up by Microsoft essentials called Win32/wysot.c then did a malwarebyts scan that picked up 12 maleware program's something .pup files. So Iam now not sure which program caused this havoc . Could any body advise where to get the codec without all these problems. Sorry if I have put this request into the wrong post if I have please advise which posting to visit. Thanks buzzy

My update as suggested I downloaded the Registrator Player software for my 0801 carcam run the .exe file program opened o/k open folder containing .mov clips inputed o/k but when run comes up with Codec not found avci & AAC it then suggest to instal k-lite . Went back to Registrator site and tried to download there highlighted link at top of page after hunting through menu I downloaded there missing codec all I got was a Trojan virus picked up by Microsoft essentials called Win32/wysot.c then did a malwarebyts scan that picked up 12 maleware program's something .pup files. So Iam now not sure which program caused this havoc . Could any body advise where to get the codec without all these problems. Sorry if I have put this request into the wrong post if I have please advise which posting to visit. Thanks buzzy

I've used shark007 for years.
http://shark007.net
Do a custom install decline usual bundled junk.

From todays clips out in the car, it would appear the bitrate on this latest Eprance 1026 GPS ONLY firmware, as been dropped from around the 17000kbps mark down to aprox 14000kbps.
some of the 1 min clips were at anything from 13100kbps and the highest I noticed was 14200kbps.

Comparing actual image quality side by side with previous clips shows very little drop in quality, not to my eyes anyway, though there obviously has to be a slight drop, it's just not that noticeable...and certainly not enough to make me want to rush back to 0913, even though mine worked fine on 0913.

So I think overall, in theory this latest 1026 (Eprance GPS Only) firmware should ease speed related write issues on some camera's. where either the camera hardware itself or the card or both are not optimum. AIS previously..best to have a camera that works! than one with superb image quality that doesn't work.

Incidently.. just a bit of useless info I noticed today.
The file sizes for exactly 1 minute clips taken of the exact same scene using this Eprance 1026 firmware, are identical to the files sizes produced by the Eprance 0922 firmware on their GPS+8GB camera's, and by identical I mean exactly the same size down to a single byte. Meaning that both those versions of firmware obviously use exactly the same bitrate algorithm.

Last edited:
Not sure what you do with this link Jaz-Jon, do you just download the file and run it have you got to do anything else thanks buzzy

I found I could play the files from the mini 0801 okay with Registrator and other viewers on my Win7 but it came back with a similar msg about needing another codec when playing video's from my Mio 368 camera, which I thought was rather strange as both output in .MOV format and you would think if it plays .mov files from one camera, it should also play the .MOV files from the other camera..lol very weird. There obviously must be differences in the algorithm compression engine they are using. Hence why it works with one codec and not another.

Anyway Buzzy.. I installed K-Lite basic codecs a few weeks ago and all was well, it's not very big anyway. I've just uploaded it onto my google-drive for you if you want it. I have scanned it again with the lastest Kaspersky virus scanner and its fine. HTH

K-LITE BASIC CODECS. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzaK5CGt2pO6RDdNSFpxUm0zTXc/edit?usp=sharing

and this is the latest Registrator Video/GPS Playback viewer if anyone wants it.

REGISTRATOR.EXE https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzaK5CGt2pO6czNFMzZFNFNuYTA/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Hi luner not my day today tried to download from your link and was blocked by gmail not sure why ? The gmail account is not my main mail . But it said about asking permission from you I do have a gmail account but I use the hotmail account on this site not sure how to continue. Thanks buzzy

Hi luner not my day today tried to download from your link and was blocked by gmail not sure why ? The gmail account is not my main mail . But it said about asking permission from you I do have a gmail account but I use the hotmail account on this site not sure how to continue. Thanks buzzy

No problem matey.. totally my fault...ooops.. All sorted! .. it should download now... it defaults to allowing access to just me, and I forgot to set it to share with anyone who has the link. sorry about that Buzzy.... (Lunar hangs his head in shame..lol)

Last edited:
Lads,

I've decided to buy one of these camera's as my new dashcam, as there are lots for sale can someone please recommend me a trustworthy seller regarding quality of the camera and the most recent stable firmware.

Thanks in advance...:)

Thanks again lunar have now downloaded both of your files will try instal later on . As Iam now trying to access my gmail account after it requested me to change my password I seem to have made a complete mess of it what a good Iam having. Buzzy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back