Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Ok, Just woke up so went ahead and stopped the recording so I can try to catch a sunrise. So the first thing we learned is the camrea keeps on going no problem. The second thing we learned is the maximum loop recording time on firmware 20130905 @ 16.9Mbps is 3H56M43S 143,360 KB (143MB) per 1m clip

I have RegistratorViewer_v5.0.exe at the root of the microSD card, so when I launch it, all files are auto grouped together.

I give you.........
Window Screen View Fragment of AMBA0594-827 3H56M43S @ x128 Speed (worst time lapse sunrise ever since it's foggy/cloudy!)

This photo shows it shows this camera keeps on going automatically recycling the oldest clips no problem. (13H11M18S)
The clocks shows 8:09AM but it was really 9:09AM PST, no GPS since the mount is in my Car. The real test will be with GPS logging and the heat of the direct sun etc.
Rn1kANi.jpg

Last edited:
JazJon said:
Ok, Just woke up so went ahead and stopped the recording so I can try to catch a sunrise. So the first thing we learned is the camrea keeps on going no problem. The second thing we learned is the maximum loop recording time on firmware 20130905 @ 16.9Mbps is 3H56M43S 143,360 KB (143MB) per 1m clip
Looks like I'm going to install 20130905 later today. Seems pretty safe :)

JazJon said:
...record a video of how to remove the MagFilter.
This is what I would like to see. Is the filter ring now stuck/glued to the printed base adapter? Meaning, only the filter itself can be easily removed because it's attached magnetically to the ring, right?
The reason I'm asking about the mounting, I'm curious if one could use the same filter for both the DVR and a compatible digital camera for example.
Or even later if a different DVR comes along, can the ring&filter be easily removed from the base and installed on a different car DVR.

ciuvak said:
JazJon said:
Looks like I'm going to install 20130905 later today. Seems pretty safe :)

JazJon said:
...record a video of how to remove the MagFilter.
This is what I would like to see. Is the filter ring now stuck/glued to the printed base adapter? Meaning, only the filter itself can be easily removed because it's attached magnetically to the ring, right?
The reason I'm asking about the mounting, I'm curious if one could use the same filter for both the DVR and a compatible digital camera for example.
Or even later if a different DVR comes along, can the ring&filter be easily removed from the base and installed on a different car DVR.

The 3D printed base "snap fits" around the 0801 lens. (snug fit) I ended up not needing to use double stick tape (or glue) It's on very solid. If you look there is a peg that fits into the A/V mini jack port on the top of the camera. That's what I'm doing in the begining of the video. I'm trying to do it one handed since I'm holding the camera with the other hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... x6twas_Gu0
The metal ring that comes with the magfilter is then stuck to the new 3D printed support base. It comes with TWO (1 spare) metal rings with stick tape so you can put it on your other camera yes! (they sell spares online too, see link below) The MagFilter itself has a magnet which pulls itself against the metal ring you stuck to the 3D printed support base. It's as easy to take off as pulling a very strong magnet off the fridge.

So yeah they sell spares of those metal rings too
http://carryspeed.com/products/magfilte ... -lens-ring

Last edited by a moderator:
Houston, we have a problem!

Now that my memory card is full, it seems the camera is totally unstable when it comes to recording in the car! I've had the camera lock up multiple times already. This fits the "recycle" issue we all heard about. (not good)

Here is a quick example. :-( So it seems 20130905 isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I'm going to format my card for now to keep the card free.

Hopefully my new camera behaves properly, or another firmware comes out. I'll report this to eprance and givoe now.

Worst case, I have my eye on the VicoVation VICO-WF1 with WIFI.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1474
EDIT: Oh wait there is no GPS? :-( never mind

Big thank you to everyone's efforts who are blazing the trail for many others to follow!! Your efforts are not un-noticed or unappreciated.

I understand there are many electrical end point hook up points, Electric Overhead lights, fuse, etc. However, I wanted to know the start point with the Micro USB, from a harness power conversion perspective vs. just cutting the cable (not likely the best idea) for 5V 2A input. Has anyone here already hardwired the camera micro usb power to the car electric system, what and how you might have done that....where avail, pics would be ideal. Basically, I was curious about the cable harness if there was one avail from eBay or Amazon that best fit the bill to make the connection from camera to (take your pic: dome light, radio, etc)?

Also, while Registrar viewer is fantastic, has anyone heard or know of any work being done to allow for viewing these video files along with GPS map viewing on a Mobile App (either phone or tablet? ). I'm a Mac OSX, Mobile Computing (iOS 7 early adopter) kind of guy and basically only use Windows through a virtual machine if I have too. Wanted to know if there was any light at the end of the tunnel allowing some of us to jetison the Micro$oft software one day soon.

Thx much!!
JT.

JazJon,
Thanks for explaining about the bracket. It all makes sense, the key thing here is the spare rings. Using lots of spare rings takes care of all the scenarios I can think of.
Huge disappointment about 20130905. I haven't updated yet, so will hold off for now, because I need a stable camera 24/7.

onemanshow said:
Big thank you to everyone's efforts who are blazing the trail for many others to follow!! Your efforts are not un-noticed or unappreciated.

I understand there are many electrical end point hook up points, Electric Overhead lights, fuse, etc. However, I wanted to know the start point with the Micro USB, from a harness power conversion perspective vs. just cutting the cable (not likely the best idea) for 5V 2A input. Has anyone here already hardwired the camera micro usb power to the car electric system, what and how you might have done that....where avail, pics would be ideal. Basically, I was curious about the cable harness if there was one avail from eBay or Amazon that best fit the bill to make the connection from camera to (take your pic: dome light, radio, etc)?

Also, while Registrar viewer is fantastic, has anyone heard or know of any work being done to allow for viewing these video files along with GPS map viewing on a Mobile App (either phone or tablet? ). I'm a Mac OSX, Mobile Computing (iOS 7 early adopter) kind of guy and basically only use Windows through a virtual machine if I have too. Wanted to know if there was any light at the end of the tunnel allowing some of us to jetison the Micro$oft software one day soon.

Thx much!!
JT.

I haven't hard wired yet, but I'm going to follow one of these threads. (assuming this camera is stable again)

Hardwire a Cigarette Lighter Adapter + VIDEO
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2310

Wire DashCam - Interior Lights Live Feed = Longer Recordings
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2363

This Mini 0801 is only a temp "starter" cam for me until something comes out with iOS integration. (I'm not impressed with BlackView's video quality)

This new VivoVation VICO-WF1, WIFI DashCam has huge potential. (iOS app) Member Niko said he wants to get it, I'm waiting for his review.
Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1474
EDIT: Oh wait there is no GPS? :-( never mind
I thought the 0801 would hold me over until a new Dual WiFi camera came out later this year or early next year, but I might jump ship early if something is really good. I'd really like to see what Jokiin comes out with.

But yeah back to the 0801, I can't recommend updating to 20130905 firmware at this time. I'll let everyone know what firmwares comes on my new Aliexpress Givoe 0801.(tracking shows it's just been sorted through China post) Maybe the 20130903 firmware? (and maybe that one is best at 12Mbps) I'll test and test again until we know it's good to go.

JazJon, Thx for the reference on the previous posts electrical write ups!!

Right now, am seriously considering the VivoVation VICO-WF1 & keeping the 801 for my wife's car. Sent them an exploratory email at Australia Dashcam for product, pricing and shipment clarifications. The lack of GPS is a major bummer - especially for that price, but not necessarily a deal breaker. More of a VERY VERY VERY nice to have vs. a Must have.

The iOS app integration means I can move away from Micro$oft dependance.....there's pros and cons with everything. On the 801, it's getting workable firmware and then being able to view all the data on anything other than Registrator Viewer. Ugh, decisions, decisions, decisions.

onemanshow said:
JazJon, Thx for the reference on the previous posts electrical write ups!!

Right now, am seriously considering the VivoVation VICO-WF1 & keeping the 801 for my wife's car. Sent them an exploratory email at Australia Dashcam for product, pricing and shipment clarifications. The lack of GPS is a major bummer - especially for that price, but not necessarily a deal breaker. More of a VERY VERY VERY nice to have vs. a Must have.

The iOS app integration means I can move away from Micro$oft dependance.....there's pros and cons with everything. On the 801, it's getting workable firmware and then being able to view all the data on anything other than Registrator Viewer. Ugh, decisions, decisions, decisions.

Well the good thing is, 0801 records in .MOV so you can import those directly to your iPAD. If you are jailbroken, you can install a package that allows you to use the SD Camera Connection kit via iPhone as well. Check out these two posts.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001&hilit=camera+connection+kit+iphone&start=260#p23837
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001&p=23840&hilit=camera+connection+kit+iphone#p23840

Ok, so I just downgraded from 20130905 back to 20130903. Things are nice and stable again! Bitrate is just over 12Mbps. I think it's VBR instead of fixed now as well since bitrate seems to fluctuate file to file. 1min = 80mb-102mb (instead of 140, so we can pack in a lot more recordings!) I think 12 is probably the sweet spot. I drove around and turned my car on/off/of off dozens of times. I then recorded non stop driving over bumps with the heat of the sun, so far so good. I noticed the LED blinks a steady blue/red once again instead of random like 0905 did.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I didn't format my card yet, it's STILL full too.

I also just noticed a comment from someone on techmoan's blog. (shipping units have 20130903) I'm going to stay on that firmware for now as well.

September 12, 2013 | Quentin
"Received mine from ebay seller e-prance. It was already updated to the firmware 09032013 (even if I ordered the cam on august 28). I think it's the best one I owned to date. (GS1000, V2000GS, DR32, Mobius).

The only strange thing is that I only have sound from the right speaker on my computer when playing back files. I would have love a left-right pivot adjustment cause I always used my cam close to the B-pillar instead of near the mirror and it's not possible with this mount. The V2000GS had a similar mount but allowed just enough adjustment for that.

Also, would be great if a dash cam come out with 64GB card support. 32 is a little short for someone like me who often make more than 1200km in a single drive and would like to keep the whole trip on the card."

I don't have that stereo / mono problem, strange?

Good news. Firmware 20130903 is still rock solid. I drove at least 2 hours tonight, on/off and it's going strong. (full card, auto recycle is good, it's up to file # AMBA0975.MOV)
I have to say the Audio is a lot cleaner sounding with 20130905. Hopefully another firmware update comes out that brings the beset of both.

In other good news, Vadim (developer of Registrator Viewer) emailed me a Beta version to try. While it didn't load GPS data yet, he's hard at work finding a solution soon! I just sent him fresh .mov/.log files from my 20130903 captures.

JazJon said:
Good news. Firmware 20130903 is still rock solid. I drove at least 2 hours tonight, on/off and it's going strong. (full card, auto recycle is good, it's up to file # AMBA0975.MOV)
I have to say the Audio is a lot cleaner sounding with 20130905. Hopefully another firmware update comes out that brings the beset of both.

In other good news, Vadim (developer of Registrator Viewer) emailed me a Beta version to try. While it didn't load GPS data yet, he's hard at work finding a solution soon! I just sent him fresh .mov/.log files from my 20130903 captures.

Wow that was fast! Vadim sent a second Beta to try and it works! Registrator Viewer now auto loads GPS data from 20130903 .MOV/.LOG files.

2NtzfnR.jpg

Good morning everyone

Could somebody clarify for me what the benefit of getting the build in 8Gb of memory would be? Also, are there different firmwares for the versions with and without built in memory?

Thanks!

@ kellymao & c_licious, yup Givoe from AliExpress & eprance on ebay are both recommended sellers. You'll see the links on the mini 0801 FAQ page. http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

c_licious said:
Good morning everyone

Could somebody clarify for me what the benefit of getting the build in 8Gb of memory would be? Also, are there different firmwares for the versions with and without built in memory?

Thanks!

Nobody has confirmed exactly how it works, but there is a new option that shows up. "CHOOSE CARD" My guess is you can direct which card the 0801 records to. We might even be able to open it up and swap the 8GB for another 32GB card. I'm hoping that future firmware will add features to copy locked files from the main card to the backup card. (but I don't see anything in the options for that in firmware 20130905 or 20130903. My new GPS 0801 with 8gb internal backup is on the way from Aliexpress Givoe. I'll post how it works once it arrives.

kx3RJOEl.jpg

Check out this 16x speed example I made via RegistratorViewer (Unreleased Beta 5.3)
Twilight Speed Drive Over The Golden Gate Bridge
You'll notice the subtitles show up twice, one on top of the other. (but only sometimes)
I'm trying to figure out how the GPS Subtitles are best handled via RegistratorViewer now.
When I created video, I checked the box to embed subtitles into the .mp4
I also checked the box to create the .SRT file. (and uploaded that to youtube as CC)
I should probably only pick one. Anyway I thought I"d share what I'm trying to figure out.

I'll be turning off the 0801's hard stamp titles in the upper left now that RegistratorViewer is working again.

kellymao said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-0801-Ambarella-A2S60-Chip-Car-DVR-Blackbox-HD-1080P-OV2710-G-sensor-GPS-/121173276417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c367d7701
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-0801-Ambar ... 1c3686a180
I find two links for you to bye the new arrival mov version. :D
kellymao, is probably the ebay seller trying to push their product. Shame on you!

JazJon said:
Check out this 16x speed example I made via RegistratorViewer (Unreleased Beta 5.3)
Twilight Speed Drive Over The Golden Gate Bridge
You'll notice the subtitles show up twice, one on top of the other. (but only sometimes)
I'm trying to figure out how the GPS Subtitles are best handled via RegistratorViewer now.
When I created video, I checked the box to embed subtitles into the .mp4
I also checked the box to create the .SRT file. (and uploaded that to youtube as CC)
I should probably only pick one. Anyway I thought I"d share what I'm trying to figure out.

I'll be turning off the 0801's hard stamp titles in the upper left now that RegistratorViewer is working again.

Me
> I'm trying to figure out how the Subtitles are handled best now.
> Check out this speed example I made
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKF_zERQTyY
> You'll notice the subtitles show up twice, one on top of the other. (but only sometimes)
> When I created this, I checked the box to embed subtitles into the .mp4
> I also checked the box to create the .SRT file. (and uploaded that to youtube)
> What's the best method to only have one subtitles show up on youtube's CC option?

Vadim
>>Embed subtitles into the .mp4 - is only ResistratorViewer format,
>>no other players can read this.
>>Twice showing is a bug. I think it happens only when speedup.
>>I don't know my bug or youtube bug...
>>Send me this .srt, I will check time format.
>>Did you use my last beta or stable release? Beta is preferred.

Me
>I'm using the second beta version you recently sent me. I won't use your official build until you come out with 5.3
>Here you go. This is a shared folder, see "Fragment of AMBA0863-897, 899-924 (7-21-12 PM - 7-33-13 PM).srt"
>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6dnyn34027e4kqq/DIZlw4dsUr

Vadim
>>Now I see the problem - twice happen in the overlap of the files on joining.
>>I will try to fix it.

EDIT:
Vadim sent a 3rd Beta and SRT issues are all sorted!

Seems good now. I recreated the clip with the 3rd beta build.

Here's the new generated SRT
https://www.dropbox.com/s/33cqwtx5wj88z ... 0PM%29.srt

Here's the new generated .MP4 file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpar0w0db21zv ... 0PM%29.mp4
(if you open this with RegistratorViewer the Map will show my Route)

Here's the new YouTube upload showing CC is normal. (no more duplicate bug)

He's quick with the fixes! Nice work once again!
~Jon

Here's the shipping status of my new Givoe Aliexpress Mini 0801 GPS + 8GB internal order.

邮件号码 年份 当前状态 当前位置 邮件寄达国 邮件当前状态日期
RBXXXXXXXXXXXCN 2013 出口总包直封封发 南京国际 美国 20130912 1439

Google Translate:
"Total export package seal seal straight hair Nanjing International"

(can someone give me better translation than straight hair?)

JazJon said:
Here's the shipping status of my new Givoe Aliexpress Mini 0801 GPS + 8GB internal order.

邮件号码 年份 当前状态 当前位置 邮件寄达国 邮件当前状态日期
RBXXXXXXXXXXXCN 2013 出口总包直封封发 南京国际 美国 20130912 1439

Google Translate:
"Total export package seal seal straight hair Nanjing International"

(can someone give me better translation than straight hair?)

at 14:39 2013-09-12 you parcel is at logged at NanJing waiting to flight to USA lol :D

've got a Mini 0801 recently. However, I'm using Mac. The software that comes with the cam is for Windows only. Is there any Mac .mov player with GPS tracking on map? Many thanks in advance.

Gary

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back