Viofo A119S videos

Look nice.
The license plate on the red car is a little washed out.;)

Look nice.
The license plate on the red car is a little washed out.;)
You noticed that, too! :) rofl Not even a temporary plate!

That is Providence, RI, driving by the state capital building and overlooking historic College Hill. (Brown University, RISD/RI School Of Design, Johnson & Wales University, etc) I was on my way to get lunch :)

The only state on the east coast I haven't visit yet.:(

Do you find daytime footage on the A119S not to be as sharp (crisp) as the A119. My opinion the A119 seems more sharp in the focusing
I have some a119 units, but I've not personally tried one yet. They're still sealed in the boxes. I have no basis for comparison in my own vehicle.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone using the Tapatalk app.

Here's another sample, now that we FINALLY have a bit of sunshine :)

Thank You for video! Could You record another one, but towards bright sky or sun? I wonder, how thi cam peform in such situation.

Great! This cam has good auto-exposition controlling algorithm!

Do you find daytime footage on the A119S not to be as sharp (crisp) as the A119. My opinion the A119 seems more sharp in the focusing
I am not sure as wch cam performs better during daytime? Maybe u r right , its A119 with high resolution lens

Here is a comparison with A119 and with and without CPL lens, night test.

enjoy,
Mtz
really great side by side. A119s wins by a nose

Here is a comparison with A119 and with and without CPL lens, night test.

enjoy,
Mtz
IMO A119S is much better with and without CPL at night than A119. Mtz great video, can you do one more during the day?

I spent time on the net looking at video comparisons between the A119S verses A119. I must have looked at least 10 diff daytime and night time footages. I was under the impression when I viewed a few comparisons on this forum that the A119S seemed to be a bit better at night. But.... after really doing my research on my own I have come to a conclusion that the A119 ended up being the best footage during the day and the night time in my opinion was easier to view because of the copper shading. The A119S night time seemed to look like it was driving thru a mild fog. Greyish and a bit grainy. When I say copper shading I am referring to the brownish tint of the A119 compared to the grey in the A119S (night time) I do admit that in complete darkness the A119S was a bit better but not that much. With headlights on for both it really is not an issue. Also the A119 read license plates much clearer during the daytime and at night both were equal.
I agree. Looking at @Mtz footage above, A119S looks better only in total darkness - even then it is not very useful as it is too grainy. Under normal (low) light, all I can see is the difference in white balance.
All this hype with F1.6 lens and IMX sensor makes me a little disappointed...

I agree. Looking at @Mtz footage above, A119S looks better only in total darkness - even then it is not very useful as it is too grainy. Under normal (low) light, all I can see is the difference in white balance.
All this hype with F1.6 lens and IMX sensor makes me a little disappointed...

Both sensors are BSI (they capture almost all incoming light) and they are both the same size sensor. f/1.8 to f/1.6 is 1/3 of a stop, so not much.

I think the most improvements in image quality will be from proper multi-exposure HDR for capturing overexposed number plates at high speed, hard limiting shutter speed to combat motion blur (1/30s is always blurry) and using higher ISOs more readily.

Last edited:
Looks like the S pump up the AGC hard, but relax it again when the headlights come on.

1/60 is blurry too, 2 X that will be so too at least at the speeds we do most of the time, but off course at slower speeds in low light a faster exposure will have its merit, and i will take all i can get.

And i agree IMX291 is just a baby step in the right direction, and thats what we will have to make do with as far as i can see in my crystal ball.

Looking at the comparison videos, the S seems to only barely beat out the 119 at night. The S shows more natural colors but at the same time it seems a bit more dull and washed out.

Keep in mind the A119S firmware is only 1.0, and will mature a bit. The lense change was a last minute thing, so I'm sure they'll tweak the firmware a bit in coming months to make it perform even better.

Looking at the comparison videos, the S seems to only barely beat out the 119 at night. The S shows more natural colors but at the same time it seems a bit more dull and washed out.
Yes I agree, I eventually was able to get an A119S. I put it side by side with my A119 and call me nuts but the A119 like you said has more color Also is more sharper and daytime license plates are more legible. Now comparing the nighttime footage, I like the A119 much better because the color tone is a copper tint which seems in my opinion to brighten up the streets better. The A119S nighttime was grayish color tone. Now if you take away completely all lighting during nighttime driving I did an experiment no street lighting not even headlights, (turned off) The A119S had minor visibility (grainy gray foggy not very good) and the A119 was completely blacked out. Hopefully as Rhody401 has mentioned "I'm sure they'll tweak the firmware a bit in coming months to make it perform even better." Lets hope that's possible because if nothing changes with the performance of the A119S in the next 30 days I may just return it and buy another A119. I hope Viofo will read this post and offer his feed back.

The A119S nighttime was grayish color tone.
It is more whiteish than grayish. That color tone I liked forever when I saw it for the first time on Itronics ITB-100HD. I would buy the A119S just because of the night „greyish” color.

Look at 0:52 how the orange color become a great white (in my opinion) and look at entire video and think it was recorded almost 4 years ago at about just 6mbps:

After that ITB-100HD I saw almost no dashcam with that nice white tone during night.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back