Should I get one?

so you're both using the 0803 mount, guess if there was a mount related issue you're not really going to pickup on it if you're not actually using the supplied mount

remind me to be very specific if I send you a camera ;)

Heh.
I'll test whatever. I was just never given a GPS mount with my Beta 0806 and had to wing in.

That's a bit odd not getting the GPS mount, GPS is by far one of the more problematic areas with these cameras and something you'd always want to spend time testing

That's a bit odd not getting the GPS mount, GPS is by far one of the more problematic areas with these cameras and something you'd always want to spend time testing
That was a mistake, the rest of the prototypes were sent out with mounts, but partly due to feedback from the prototype testers the original 0801 design mounts have been replaced by the new design 0806 mounts and for some reason, probably time related, the new mounts were not sent out for testing. I think the GPS module is the same so maybe problems were unexpected.
so you're both using the 0803 mount, guess if there was a mount related issue you're not really going to pickup on it if you're not actually using the supplied mount

I did include the important information that my figures were from an 0806 using an 0803 mount, my post was mainly because I was interested in why GJHS's batch 2 camera and mount were still taking nearly 2 minutes to connect when maybe it should be faster still? Or maybe he parks in an underground car park and it doesn't have a chance to connect in the 1st minute? More data from more cameras will be interesting...

No underground garage. I don't think cold temperatures affect it, if so we are well below zero. From what I read 2 mins is a good result

When talking cold start I'm only referring to GPS status, not temperature, 2 minutes is quite decent all things considered, if you get a lock any faster than that consider it a bonus

I suggest waiting as well, I just got mine and it's definitely not a plug and play camera yet. Better to let the more experienced users have our fun and hash out the bugs. It's a nice camera, it just needs a little time.

While you're waiting and researching, check out the A118 and the Mobius for good, discreet options and keep reading the 0806 threads.

Thank you all for your replies

I will look into the other cameras youve mentioned

As for the gps on the 0806, can the speed be disabled?

When talking cold start I'm only referring to GPS status, not temperature, 2 minutes is quite decent all things considered, if you get a lock any faster than that consider it a bonus
All the "cold" starts currently on my sd card are between 34 and 58 seconds, and the car lives in a garage when at home. Warm starts, almost all appear to be instant.
As for the gps on the 0806, can the speed be disabled?
All overlays on the video can be disabled if wanted, including independent disabling of position, speed, time, driver, the data is still logged to memory card for display in Registrator Viewer or whatever.

So say if something happens and you send it to your insurance and for instance you were abit over the speed limit

Could they find that out via footage

there's 30 frames per second, what distance did you cover and how many frames was that? if you have video you can work out speed

having it embedded in the video obviously makes that much easier though

Yes I wasn't trying to connect cold start and cold temperature. To be clear though I did not mount the camera so a cold start was after 24 hours and reinstalling the camera. I haven't times the rest of the GPs acquisitions, so I will pay more attention to see if the time decreases.

So say if something happens and you send it to your insurance and for instance you were abit over the speed limit

You can turn the GPS off completely.

You can turn the video overlays off but still log the data in which case the data is included in the video file but can easily be stripped by software like Registrator Viewer - just mark the section you want to send to your insurers, click "save video fragment", untick the "include gps data" tickbox, optionally untick the "include audio" tickbox and click Save.

However as jokiin says, it is always possible to work out speed from video if you put a bit of effort into doing so. Also, your insurers are not going to be interested in you doing a few mph over the limit as the gps accuracy can't be proven and like you, it is always in their interest to get the other party to pay for the damage anyway.

All the "cold" starts currently on my sd card are between 34 and 58 seconds, and the car lives in a garage when at home. Warm starts, almost all appear to be instant.

All overlays on the video can be disabled if wanted, including independent disabling of position, speed, time, driver, the data is still logged to memory card for display in Registrator Viewer or whatever.
Sorry but that doesn't mean anything.
It's like my car runs fine and I recommend this car, it doesn't have any engine issue but I'm using different engine than what came with it. :confused:

If the test is not done with the 0806 gps, it's not valid and just spreads misinformation.
Those with 0803 mount should add that information on every post that claims "my gps is fine" to make it clear that we are talking about the same thing.
Buyers will get 0806 with it's own gps mount, not 0803 mount.

Last edited:
Buyers will get 0806 with it's own gps mount, not 0803 mount.
This is correct
To my understanding retail 0806 buyers get a longer wedge style GPS mount with roughly twice the surface area area of the 0803 mount

This is correct
To my understanding retail 0806 buyers get a longer wedge style GPS mount with roughly twice the surface area area of the 0803 mount
Maybe the reason why no one saw GPS issue until the production was because beta testers never tested the actual gps units.

Maybe the reason why no one saw GPS issue until the production was because beta testers never tested the actual gps units.
I know. I just meant to mention your post so I wouldn't have to type it out myself. and to keep the talk flowing a little better. I know you have done some great test work on a lot of different cameras.

I know. I just meant to mention your post so I wouldn't have to type it out myself. and to keep the talk flowing a little better. I know you have done some great test work on a lot of different cameras.
Sorry, I was not blaming beta testers if that's what it sounded like.
I just meant if the pre-production model was not sent with the new GPS mount, then of course there was no way to test it at all so the issues were never found.

Back