Should I get one?

Maybe the reason why no one saw GPS issue until the production was because beta testers never tested the actual gps units.
The main issue was known about before the production units where produced, the production units also passed the tests to check it had been resolved. It seems the testing was not adequate as the fault was not simple - they should have installed them in a car!

The 0806 mount wasn't even planned until the prototypes had been tested and feedback received so it couldn't have been sent out with the prototype units.

It seems the testing was not adequate as the fault was not simple - they should have installed them in a car!
So you mean pre-production testers tested a CAR Dashcam without using it in a car?
I seriously hope that is not the case because it is a bad test plan to test something in a different setup than its intended purpose.

Hey these new skis work great on the snow over my driveway so they must be great for Aspen's ski resort.

So you mean pre-production testers tested a CAR Dashcam without using it in a car?
I seriously hope that is not the case because it is a bad test plan to test something in a different setup than its intended purpose.

Hey these new skis work great on the snow over my driveway so they must be great for Aspen's ski resort.
I'm fairly certain that they didn't install all 500 of the first batch in cars to test them, I believe they did test them all on the test bench.

I'm fairly certain that they didn't install all 500 of the first batch in cars to test them, I believe they did test them all on the test bench.
That's different.
500 were production models.
I was talking about the test ones that should be tested properly before mass production.

Do you hear every single Toyota, Honda car tested for crash?
No, only the test models are tested and any issue is fixed, tested again until resolved before mass production.

That's different.
500 were production models.
I was talking about the test ones that should be tested properly before mass production.

Do you hear every single Toyota, Honda car tested for crash?
No, only the test models are tested and any issue is fixed, tested again until resolved before mass production.
True, but even Toyota don't catch all the faults! How do you know that if you crashed your Toyota it wouldn't crumple and kill you due to a poor quality weld?

"Since 2009 Toyota has recalled more than 14 million vehicles globally to fix throttle-related problems including floor mats and “sticky” gas pedals." etc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–11_Toyota_vehicle_recalls

Just because 10 units work perfectly doesn't mean that 500 will, the issue with the GPS was not a simple logic issue.

True, but even Toyota don't catch all the faults! How do you know that if you crashed your Toyota it wouldn't crumple and kill you due to a poor quality weld?

"Since 2009 Toyota has recalled more than 14 million vehicles globally to fix throttle-related problems including floor mats and “sticky” gas pedals." etc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–11_Toyota_vehicle_recalls

Just because 10 units work perfectly doesn't mean that 500 will, the issue with the GPS was not a simple logic issue.
Yes, of course there will be issues afterwards even after testing but not testing at all in ideal situation is the problem.

I think we should not extend the discussion on what you or I think happened but wait for manufacturer to comment on what actually happened.
They could have tested test units properly in a car or not, our thinking doesn't change that. It's just speculation.

Hey guys,
just guess I have to declare the GPS problem to you.

the mini 0806 camera was planed on April.2014 and start fabrication on Aug.2014, we got some major bugs on the first samples (validating sample on Sep) and the second samples (engineer sample on Oct) and third samples (improving sample on Nov) and finally solved on the forth samples on Dec which are same with the production units.
When we send the engineer samples on Octomber, we found there are dark corners on the image when rotate the GPS mount to some place. There are two approach to solve, narrow the wide angle from 135 degree to 120 degree like 0805, or make a new thiner GPS mount. We don't want to compromise on the wide angle because this is a high end dash camera so the only choice is a new GPS mount. At the same time, we sent out the testing cameras and noticed the testers the known bugs.
on Nov, we got the new GPS mount, then we made a lot of test. We found the electronic interference is more than 0801/0805 because the GPS antana is much closer to camera body, the GPS signal is 2DB lower; the lock time will be slightly delayed but acceptable.
After the first batch mini 0806 sent out, we got some feedback about the GPS issue, we checked the production line immediately. we found the assembling workers sort the GPS cable with different method of engineer, so GPS cable maybe cut by the plastic housing when rotate the camera body many times. we asked them to correct the assemblng process and consider how to improve from source. Then we reworked the mold and verify, then produce the 2nd batch camera.
At the same time, we are making a external GPS unit which can make the GPS antana less interference. the GPS locks in 40 seconds in our test. The new external GPS antana can be used in the 3rd batch, the end of March, after we get back from holiday.

And the new Parking Guard Mount is under testing now.

hope all you guys understand we made a lot of efforts to make the mini 0806 better and better. Just be more patient.

Happy Chinese New Year
GONG-XI-FA-CAI

Rayman @MEGtech

Last edited:
the mini 0806 camera was planed on April.2015 and start fabrication on Aug.2015, ...

hope all you guys understand we made a lot of efforts to make the mini 0806 better and better. Just be more patient.

Happy Chinese New Year
GONG-XI-FA-CAI

Rayman @MEGtech
Rayman,
I guess you meant to say 2014.

Thanks for comment. We are here to help make the product better by discussing it, both good and bad.
DCT discussions are major source of what manufacturers can improve on the dashcams for much bigger market.
Best of luck and happy chinese new year!

Rayman,
I guess you meant to say 2014.

Oh yes it should be 2014!
seems I can't wait to come back for work after Chinese New Year!

Its a shame you had to change the gps mount. My 0803 mount used to always lock on instantaneously.

Hey guys,
just guess I have to declare the GPS problem to you.

the mini 0806 camera was planed on April.2014 and start fabrication on Aug.2014, we got some major bugs on the first samples (validating sample on Sep) and the second samples (engineer sample on Oct) and third samples (improving sample on Nov) and finally solved on the forth samples on Dec which are same with the production units.
When we send the engineer samples on Octomber, we found there are dark corners on the image when rotate the GPS mount to some place. There are two approach to solve, narrow the wide angle from 135 degree to 120 degree like 0805, or make a new thiner GPS mount. We don't want to compromise on the wide angle because this is a high end dash camera so the only choice is a new GPS mount. At the same time, we sent out the testing cameras and noticed the testers the known bugs.
on Nov, we got the new GPS mount, then we made a lot of test. We found the electronic interference is more than 0801/0805 because the GPS antana is much closer to camera body, the GPS signal is 2DB lower; the lock time will be slightly delayed but acceptable.
After the first batch mini 0806 sent out, we got some feedback about the GPS issue, we checked the production line immediately. we found the assembling workers sort the GPS cable with different method of engineer, so GPS cable maybe cut by the plastic housing when rotate the camera body many times. we asked them to correct the assemblng process and consider how to improve from source. Then we reworked the mold and verify, then produce the 2nd batch camera.
At the same time, we are making a external GPS unit which can make the GPS antana less interference. the GPS locks in 40 seconds in our test. The new external GPS antana can be used in the 3rd batch, the end of March, after we get back from holiday.

And the new Parking Guard Mount is under testing now.

Happy Chinese New Year
GONG-XI-FA-CAI

Rayman @MEGtech
Will there be an additional charge for the parking guard mount?
One of the main reasons I purchased the 0806 was for this feature...
I had no idea a separate mount was needed and not already included
In the package. I think the mount (when ready) should be sent to all
Purchasers who register their product, and for no additional charge!
Ps: will it be required even if I hardwire my unit?
Thanks, GREAT site!!!!!

I would expect you're going to need to pay for the parking guard mount, it was only ever listed as an accessory

I would expect you're going to need to pay for the parking guard mount, it was only ever listed as an accessory
I assume that you wont need to purchase a hardwire kit though as the parking guard mount takes 12 volts and is effectively a hardwire kit with extra functionality.

Remember that there is limited parking guard functionality without the mount - it will still wake up on impact, just wont record what happened before the impact.

Hi

As above.. It will be my first dash came and I like the mini series as I want it to be small and discrete. It looks so much better than the 0803 but the problems people are expiercing are putting me off

I've been using a couple of cheap 0801 dash cams in a few of my cars, the first 0801 was purchased in Sept 2014 (I think) and another 0801 earlier this year, have to say the video quality in the daytime is very good. The most recent E-Prance 0801 I purchased cost me approx £47 from Amazon and it's working fine.

A few weeks ago I purchased an 0806 dash cam from a company called Combi based in Leicestershire, and the reason for buying from them instead of a cheaper eBay or Amazon seller was in case it broke, and unfortunately it did, luckily Combi sent me out a replacement 0806 as promised which i'm now testing, and will post the updates on the other 0806 thread I'm posting on.

This 0806 dash cam is so small that it blends in perfectly with the rear view mirror, yet has stunning video resolution and a massive memory capability far exceeding that of other far more expensive dash cams. I have two 64GB cards fitted in mine, but I am led to believe that the 0806 can accept cards far bigger than currently available.

I'm well chuffed Combi who are seller and the replaced the 0806.

If you're based in the UK or nearby then visit their website or give them a call. Website link for the dash cam is http://www.combi.org.uk/categories/6/Mini-0801-DVR or phone them on 01455-233988

after more than 1 year of using mini 0806, my opinion - spend more and get better quality dashcam if you ever drive in warm conditions or in dark
- in summer started overheating and shutting off randomly (+30C)
- seems that battery is dying out and sometimes it is restarting
- most important :
- even in a good daylight, it is rare to get sharp picture. number plates can be read only if other car is very close and speed difference less than ~10 mph
- in the evening chances of getting clear picture are close to zero. tailights are blurred, number plates are blurred

basically, if you want a dashcam able to show type of other car and may be its number plates or even if you want to be confident that last video is always there, get something else.
I needed to check on video 3 times, once it got corrupted file (probably due to overheating and restart), twice i was not able to distinguish neither number plates or model/color of the car dangerously overtaking/cutting off.
almost useless ...

after more than 1 year of using mini 0806, my opinion - spend more and get better quality dashcam if you ever drive in warm conditions or in dark
- in summer started overheating and shutting off randomly (+30C)
- seems that battery is dying out and sometimes it is restarting
- most important :
- even in a good daylight, it is rare to get sharp picture. number plates can be read only if other car is very close and speed difference less than ~10 mph
- in the evening chances of getting clear picture are close to zero. tailights are blurred, number plates are blurred

basically, if you want a dashcam able to show type of other car and may be its number plates or even if you want to be confident that last video is always there, get something else.
I needed to check on video 3 times, once it got corrupted file (probably due to overheating and restart), twice i was not able to distinguish neither number plates or model/color of the car dangerously overtaking/cutting off.
almost useless ...

Unfortunately I have to agree with you, my 0806 started acting up a few months ago, sent back to Combi who reinstalled the original software and returned it to me, fast forward and it's still crashing and rebooting on a regular basis. It's now out-of-waranty so is going in the bin.

As I've mentioned before, the video quality in the day without Nigel's upgraded software isn't much better than the stock 0801 unit that I also have, if anything the 0801 is better in respect that number-plates of oncoming traffic aren't blurred.

In total contrast the 0801 unit which is fitted on the rear tailgate glass has performed flawlessly, if only it had the ability to record onto larger sized SD cards than the current 32GB limit it would be perfect. It's not as good in low light or at night but I rarely drive at night so isn't an issue for me.

The Mobius has also performed extremely well, have replaced the battery with the capacitor because the car is getting hot in the summer months, only minor gripe has been the microphone which keeps tapping something inside the body and although I've had the unit to bits several times I haven't managed to stop it.

I'm a little out-of-date with the latest dashcams and the Eprance 0801 is no longer available on Amazon so I need to figure out what to replace the 0806 with.

Back