Anyone here running the Xiaomi XiaoYi Yi Smart Wifi Cam?

A bit of a random one but this shows how aggressive Xioami are on pricing of these things.

upload_2015-7-27_6-44-32.png

The Yi is $30, has local storage via microSD, night vision with IR, a mobile app (but no web app I've seen although there may be a Chinese one), 2 way audio and motion alerts through to the camera app. It's 1280x720p - the quality probably isn't as good as some in the above table but again this is $30!

I spotted these external housings for the Dropcam - as the Xiaomi appears to be highly inspired by the Dropcam I'm intriged as to whether these would also work for the Yi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00SJPXTE2

I spotted these external housings for the Dropcam - as the Xiaomi appears to be highly inspired by the Dropcam I'm intriged as to whether these would also work for the Yi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00SJPXTE2

Nice find! I bought 2 from gearbest and wasn't sure what to do with the second. The first is basically a viewer to check on our the animals and see deliveries. I was surprised with the quality of the night vision. Only thing I have a tough time with is scrolling thru the recorded footage from the sdcard.

Yeah I think there may be a way to do that from the webserver, I'm getting a bit short of time at the moment though as work is going to be nuts for the rest of August so it will be September before I get a day off again now.

For the IR I'm currently running it behind a window - turns out it's really easy to just drop the four screws off the back panel and then disconnect the IR lights from the system board so I've done that for now to see how it goes tonight :)

IMG_1498.JPG
IMG_1499.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG

Here's the IR connector circled:
IMG_1498 - Copy.JPG

Even more surprising is that this little thing supports pre buffered motion detection as you can see in this clip of me returning home last night (that's not really good night vision btw - it was really just before 8pm!)

great job! I'm able to telnet and use rtsp only with your files! no need to change firmware

has anyone tried to connect to tinycam with p2p protocol? I have an authentication error

What does tinycam try to use?

I've just checked out the view from this camera since I disconnected the IR connector and it looks very good indeed - although there are still some low powered IR lights reflecting back that you can see:

yi-night.jpg

And now it's even darker it looks pretty much the same - this OmniVision OV9712 is a very nice night performer without IR!

yi-night2.jpg

Here's the Tenvis cam I've been using for reference.

tenvis.jpg

I use tinycam to monitor my camera inside and outside my home.
tinycam supports xiaomi camera with 3 protocols: p2p, rtsp over tcp and rtsp over udp. the last two does work (thanks you)!
the p2p protocol may be useful when I am outside but it does not works due to xiaomi authorization; I followed also a russian forum (h**p://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=638230&st=980) to help me to enable p2p daemon and how to identify uid login and password but, when I try, I always obtain xiaomi authorization error

I've just looked at that post and it says the password is Name1 & PW1 in the /etc/ui.conf file - my username for that one is admin and my password is different to the one on 4PDA. Are you trying to use the password on 4PDA or the one from your own camera?

yes, I tried but wasn't usefull. even tried starting p2p daemon.
have you an android phone? can you try tinycam?

Only an iPhone at the moment I'm afraid although I am looking to get a new Android phone in the next couple of months - too many options!

buy a Oneplus One with cyanogen software! simply the bast!

I've had iPhones since 2007 but I'm really not feeling it so much nowadays so ordered a Galaxy S6 yesterday - I'd looked at loads of Chinese phones but they all had drawbacks in various areas and finally decided to just bite the bullet and see how this is. I managed to pick up a 64GB SIM free one from Italy for less than the 32GB costs in the UK, plus you get the 2 year warranty.

This Xiaomi smart camera could really use a better wifi antenna as I've been going through some footage and there are glitches in the footage where it's just dropped signal for whatever reason.

I'm going to try another router in case it's just this one being on it's last legs.

I use a access point TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with DD-WRT; I give more watt power to tx and rx power (thanks ddwrt!) and now I cover completly my house

Funny you should say that, it's OpenWRT on the new one I'll be testing.

As for the iPhones I don't know why but it just seems like they lost their magic touch since Steve Jobs passed on. The rest of the world doesn't agree with us as they're smashing sales targets and ironically Samsung are supposed to be doing their best handsets ever yet they're having money issues - if they lose too much value maybe Apple will just buy them!

I'm really looking forward to the change - I was going to go for something like the UMI Iron but the reviews coming out aren't great :/

OK I am getting motion triggered alerts now and they are highlighted on the timeline, but scrubbing on the android app timeline doesn't work - it always starts from the beginning of the recording or goes to live view.

Also android app only connects to the camera if you are connected to the same wifi - so useless outside your house :/

Same here I am getting motion triggered alerts and they are highlighted on the timeline, but scrubbing on the android app timeline doesn't work - it always starts from the beginning of the recording or goes to live view.

any android user have the same problem ?

last soft on android / last firmware / last ir version of the cam

TIPS : On the last soft android V1.8.3_20150806 if you turn your android phone on english language the soft is in english :)

Back