Dashboard temperature.

Viking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
WR1, Mini 906, 2*A119S, SJDash
Today I was going to pick my kid up from summer camp.
My car was parked in the shade, where the temperature was 36C. After a half hour drive in the direction of the sun and with the A/C on full power, the dashboard temperature was 65C.
The parking lot I used was in sun and the temperature of the pavement was 57C.
I measured the temperature 5 minute after I parked and the temperature was 71C.
and after 15 minute 80C.

This was not taken on a super hot day and I could easy imagine that a person from mid-USA will say. That's not hot at all.

But what is consider as max temperature in a car at summer.
Is there any dash camera there will match these temperature?

Attachments

• 65C.jpg
    65C.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 71C.jpg
    71C.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 80C.jpg
    80C.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 18
Panorama- and Sctreet Guardian series dashcams are chamber-tested at 80-90 C.

You are one of the few persons from US who I see uses metrics values here on forum ;).
This way it is much easier "for others" to understand temperature without conversion tools. Thanks !

I measured 98C back around mid summers day, it was only a small part of the dash that was directly facing the sun and with the sun coming through the windscreen glass exactly perpendicular due to the car being parked on a steep hill but there would have been a small part of the dashcam facing the same direction. Now we are in August we wont get anywhere near that in the UK.

well i just learned a little, and thats allways nice, but now the big question is, do my wierd brain store this information forever or is it gone within a fjew days.

I think you guys should metric all the raods along the southern border, that would really mess with the head of illigal aliens :eek: QUE ? kilometros ?? Estoy en Canada ???

This way it is much easier "for others" to understand temperature without conversion tools...
Except for the 'others' that live in the same country he does ;) - now 'we' have to convert to F. :(

I think from now on whenever I post anything having to do with temperature I'll use the Kelvin scale - that way everyone has to convert. :D

Except for the 'others' that live in the same country he does ;) - now 'we' have to convert to F. :(

I think from now on whenever I post anything having to do with temperature I'll use the Kelvin scale - that way everyone has to convert. :D

might as well post it in Klingon and be done with it :D

I don't have any problem posting in both, no matter what it is I'm posting about. That way I also learn something. The only unit I don't usually post the conversion is the currency, since the rate it's always changing.

I don't have any problem posting in both, no matter what it is I'm posting about. That way I also learn something.....
Same as I do for the same reason (if I remember).

In a large deep open hole in the ground here mid-morning Tuesday one summer long ago I saw an old mercury thermometer calibrated to 120F (49C) blow the top off from being in the direct sun. It got about 12F (6C) hotter by late afternoon. I remember it well because the whole week was like that and I was working in that hole for that entire week. It would kill me in minutes nowadays :eek:

Most car windows have a slight tint from the factory now which helps, but the direct summer sun is powerful indeed. Best to not leave any dashcam in the direct summer sunlight for long without air circulation or A/C to help cool it even if it's rated for those temps because when you turn it on it's going to generate more heat which will add to that.

Phil

Does the dashboard temperature matter that much when the majority of us have the front camera attached to the top of the windscreen? Isn't the roof temperature more important in this case? When I don't have shades big enough for the whole car I choose to protect the camera's area and the front end of the roof, not so much the dashboard.

Does the dashboard temperature matter that much when the majority of us have the front camera attached to the top of the windscreen? Isn't the roof temperature more important in this case? When I don't have shades big enough for the whole car I choose to protect the camera's area and the front end of the roof, not so much the dashboard.

yeah, thankful I don't make dashboards ;)

I guess a lot of people leave their cameras fully exposed to midday sun in the same way that the dashboard is and so the dashboard temperature is going to be similar to the temperature on the front of the camera. I use black electrical tape above mine to shield them from midday sun which appeared to reduce the temperature by around 20C back at mid summer. When they are near the limits anyway, that is enough to make a huge difference to their lifetime.

Back