Positioning 3rd camera at dashboard

jcbvr76

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hear me out on this... I am currently shopping for a new DC and I was really only looking for a 2 channel, I have no real reason to record the interior of my car. But that got be thinking, why not get the 3rd camera and mount it so that is faces my dashboard. This is a secondary, synced, camera to verify GPS data no to mention turn signal activation, high beams, etc. Things that could be helpful if you find yourself in court or some other dispute.

You sure can. What you are looking for sounds like a blackbox recorder for cars, similar to a flight's blackbox.
Record everything possible.
I would look into covering the sides before looking into recording the dash area if you haven't done that yet.

I don't see why not. But for me, until a very discreet solutions exist; the two channels it is and nothing more.

Last edited:
Be aware that dash cams are fixed focus cameras with the focus optimized for about 100 yards. Trying to capture your dash board from behind the steering wheel (not sure where else you could put the camera to get a full view of the dashboard) is going to result in a blurry picture. If you are willing, you could disassemble the camera and adjust the focus for a shorter distance)

Sure you could do that. You could attach it up along your headliner. There's probably a central light up by your roof that could be around a good location. Usually interior cameras have a short cable maybe 1' long since it's typically installed near the front cam so you'll need to get a longer cable, but otherwise it should be feasible.

I run a GoPro attached to the driver's headrest to record what's going on on my dash and windshield for YouTube videos and it's a great field of view.

I have 3 “interior” cameras because @Vortex Radar would say; “Why not?!?” lol
I put a WM1 under my hood to film my State Inspection.
Viofo offers an optional 6 Meter cable for the IR Interior camera for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.

Rear Interior .png
Passenger A-Pillar .png
Driver A-Pillar .png
Under Hood Engine Bay .png

Here’s what they look like in action;

Back