DOA

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just received mini 0903 (directly from MEG) and it is dead as a door knob :(
No light, no sounds with or without card. Tried powering from included adapter and also hard wired kit - nothing.
Any suggestions?

Having to return something back to China is not easy.

I guess I was naive to believe that I will actually get a working product straight from the manufacturer...

given it was direct from the supplier perhaps @Rayman.Chan will send you a replacement

That is what I'm hoping for. I am in contact with @Lili.Yang
I must say this has been (and still is) a very frustrating experience. I paid in January and since then it was delays after delays. I was very exited yesterday when DHL showed up at my door with the package - only to be disappointed when the camera was dead. On top of that, I was just told not to use included hard wire kit because of a defect.
I purchase stuff from China on regular basis (aliexpress, banggood) so I'm used to long shipping, but this takes the cake...

not a good experience, we all have things go wrong from time to time, how it gets addressed is the make or break, hopefully it gets sorted for you

Importing over seas, and or going around local sales channels to pay less always seems like a good idea until something goes wrong

if the upgrading process was not fully progressed, the camera will not be booting correctly. Please put the “firmware.bin” downloaded from www.nanodashcam.com to the root folder and power on, until the camera boot into desktop.
Please remember to wait for the upgrading finish, no cut off power or press POWER+UP to reset before display come out. If the camera can’t be boot, it can’t display anything, LED&speaker will not work also.
Looking forward your news.

Ok, so I put firmware.bin into the root of the SD card (Transcend, formatted as FAT32) and plugged in power. Waited about 15 minutes and nothing happened.
Tried other cards (Sandisk, Kingston), and power supplies with the same result.
BTW, how long does the firmware update takes?

Firmware should never take more than about 2-3 minutes. Most take about 30-45seconds which is the norm.

They'll probably ask for it to be sent back. This is where you can become stuck between a rock and a hard place...as customs in China are very strict so if you send it back via a courier service (UPS, DHL, FEDEX etc) there are stricter customs controls which means there's a high chance you'll have to pay taxes, fees, and other costs on the item. If you send it back from USPS and then China Post (when it is handed over) there's a far less likelihood of customs being charged but then it can take 2 months for them to receive it.

I would ask that if you show a video about how dead it is that they hopefully can just send you a new one. Let us know how it goes!

I did send video to @Lili.Yang . It is pretty anti-climatic. You plug it in and nothing happens...

try POWER + UP

I would hope they would replace the camera for you. Some places will state they need a tracking number from you before they will send you a new one, and some places will just flat out refuse to do anything until they receive the camera. They usually repair it which is not ideal for the longevity of the camera.

customs in China are very strict so if you send it back via a courier service (UPS, DHL, FEDEX etc) there are stricter customs controls which means there's a high chance you'll have to pay taxes, fees, and other costs on the item. If you send it back from USPS and then China Post (when it is handed over) there's a far less likelihood of customs being charged but then it can take 2 months for them to receive it.

Yes I still remember our bad experience with customs. And I went customs for a paper work today, the officers made me crazy.
I must wish I have a gun here in China!

try POWER + UP

Held power+up for a couple of seconds and again nothing. This time I plugged it to my small USB meter and when plugged in it draws about 70mA (5.11V) When I press power+up the current increases to 160mA and then it goes back down to 70mA as I release buttons.

I will report this to engineer to check out tomorror morning and feedback you.
a moment

Held power+up for a couple of seconds and again nothing.

I mean, put the firmware inside card into the camera, connect power, then try POWER or even POWER+UP

I mean, put the firmware inside card into the camera, connect power, then try POWER or even POWER+UP

Yes, I know I have to supply external power (there is no battery in 0903)

I am not sure what the next step is... Camera is obviously dead so where does that leave me?

Camera is obviously dead so where does that leave me?

so I need engineers' help on analyse from the currents. will report you tomorrow

So this afternoon an interesting development: I copied firmware.bin file to a half of dozen different SD cards and started one by one test if Mini 0903 would bite.
Sure enough, after I inserted an ancient Sandisk 2GB card, the camera started blinking red LED and about in 30 seconds I see glorious nanoq logo...
It would take another half an hour or so to make it work with my Transcend card which was originally formatted as exFAT.
I reformatted it as FAT32 reboot mini and all I get is the nanoq logo.
So I format it as exFAT put it in, turn on the Mini and voila, it goes right into the record mode. Go figure!

So for now, Mini 0903 has been resurrected. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out exactly what it was that put it into the coma. Some kind of combination of SD card and file format, I guess.

@Rayman.Chan still owes me one parking guard though :)

Back