CF-100 GPS/AV socket pinout?

polterzeitgeist

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a CF-100 for my wife's Jetta wagon, installed it and am now looking to use a small LCD for 'real time' display or playback in the car.

Gibson99 mentions making a y-cable in https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-exmor-cmos-720p-gps-24-7-parking.7441/page-3 . That seems an excellent way to go, but it depends upon knowing the pinout (so to speak) on the GPS/AV socket. The manual says nothing about it. Does anyone already know how the tip/ring/ring/sleeve are mapped?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
when i "accidentally" opened up the GPS antenna by trying to remove it from the windshield, i noticed that there was an unused wire inside the antenna housing coming from the plug. chances are extremely good that this is the video out wire. the trick will be figuring out which of the other 3 wires connected to the GPS board is the ground. My money's on black though. they might be labeled, but i don't remember. but this makes a very convenient place to splice in since it means you don't have to make some hackneyed connector at the camera, where it will be visible. unfortunately there's not enough room in the gps housing to simply add an RCA jack to the end or side of it, since that would be very convenient... but there is room to make a notch in the side of it so you can feed the RCA cable out from the case.
IMG_20150608_155555.jpg

combined with this, from @niko's review, you should be able to do it:
name-of-components-1-jpg.8086

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect! Thank you. Seems pigtailing a 1/8" TRS jack is the way to go, as one can then plug in the screen as needed. Black=ground makes sense, especially if the ground isn't a shielded (braided etc). If the traces on the PCB is visible it'll be easier to tell, too.

I'd hoped that searching "trrs cable red green black white" would reveal that there's some sort of standard for matching tip/ring/ring/sleeve to color -- no dice.

ok, so you may be able to hook up a monitor, but there's no way to play back recorded video using it since there are no controls on the camera for it, and you can't control it by wifi or usb. you'll only be able to see what the cam is looking at that particular moment, and maybe have the text on screen for time/date/etc. basically only useful for aiming the camera. that's why i never bothered trying to hook up an RCA jack for video.

Oops -- I wrote "playback" without thinking. Realtime video is OK for the intended user (my wife), maybe for a little more peace of mind in reverse at home (lots of cats...) if not as a proper backup cam.

Is there any way to play back CF100 with LCD in car ? I don't have one, but now I am research to buy one. Thanks

Good work Gibson99. How did the GPS thing come-apart?

It seems to me that if the GPS PCB plug can be found too, the black-white could be tapped and another cable then exits that GPS housing to connect to a visor-mounted LCD screen.

Good work Gibson99. How did the GPS thing come-apart?

It seems to me that if the GPS PCB plug can be found too, the black-white could be tapped and another cable then exits that GPS housing to connect to a visor-mounted LCD screen.
By accident :oops:

I was trying to simply twist the GPS antenna to take it off the windshield when we traded in that car, and the case simply popped open. It must be just a couple tiny spots of glue holding it. You can probably pry it apart with a small flat screwdriver. I put it back together with a couple dots of super glue.

Is there any way to play back CF100 with LCD in car ? I don't have one, but now I am research to buy one. Thanks
No there's no way to play videos on the camera. To view them you have to take out the SD card and put it in a computer. The only thing you get with a monitor is a live view of what the camera can see.

No there's no way to play videos on the camera. To view them you have to take out the SD card and put it in a computer. The only thing you get with a monitor is a live view of what the camera can see.
The last time when I try with my phone and the raw down from internet. I can open and playback the front cam by MX player. And playback the rear cam by VLC player. But I can't play front cam by VLC player, maybe because I don't know how to setup to play. You can try :)
PS: Android phone.

No it won't work on Android. Blacksys used a weird format on the videos and combined don't and back into one file. I wrote a script for Windows to split them apart into separate files (link in my signature), but that obviously doesn't work in Android.

Maybe they just update software ! You can try again. I down at least 3 raw files from CF - 100 and they all can be played on my M3 phone. :) I use MX player and VCL player :)

I play all my raw CF-100 footage on my Nexus 5 using VLC, I have both normal and Beta versions installed. I can review footage and clean up my memory card on the go if ever I have to wait around for someone.

VLC Beta 0.9.10 plays front camera footage flawlessly, but, only plays front footage.
VLC 1.75 plays both streams, one at a time and is buggy, often crashes the app, but mostly prefers the rear camera. You have to close/open the same and/or different files to get it to switch to different channels. which usually causes it to crash. I mostly just use the Beta app to view front footage and normal VLC app if I really want to see rear footage.

Since I have no MicroSD slot, I use a USB OTG cable and an Anker dual-slot USB card reader, along with Chainfire's StickMount app. I can move files directly from my main 128GB card to the 16GB card that came with the camera and without having to write anything to my phones flash memory either (if I did it would eat up write cycles on unreplaceable storage).

Maybe they just update software ! You can try again. I down at least 3 raw files from CF - 100 and they all can be played on my M3 phone. :) I use MX player and VCL player :)
what i meant was that my vbscript won't work on android.

i have MX player on my Galaxy Note 3, which DOES have an SD card slot, but i haven't tried playing a cf-100 file on it in ages. haven't had the need. and since the cf-100 is in my wife's car, chances are that if the footage is needed at the scene, she wouldn't be able to play it because her phone (Galaxy S6) doesn't have an SD card slot.

Back