Grainy video - SGZC12RC 2016 v2 edition

Vector111

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SGZC12RC
Hello,

I recently received my new SGZC12RC 2016 v2 edition. It works, but the video seems grainy to the point that license plates cannot be read.
Here are two examples:
shot0001.png

shot0003.png

Does anyone else experience this issue?
Is it an issue with firmware similar to the other model or did I get a defective camera?
Thank you!

That looks fine - there's not enough resolution to read

that one in front from that distance and at night all dashcams will clip out that refelctive numberplate as your headlights overpower the sensor and cause white to clip.

For the day you'd need either a lower FoV to bring the details in closer or a higher resolution - it's why a lot of people like the Mobius A as a dashcam as it makes things bigger due to the lower field of view - always a trade off (and one of the reasons I run multiple cameras).

For the night if you're lucky HDR might help and some cameras drop the exposure as you get closer to try and get that sort of detail at night but they're all hit and miss to be honest.

You can see it cause the clipping in this video:

It's swings and roundabouts with current technology - great headlights help get better night footage but the second they hit a reflective surface it will clip to white as it's beyond the sensor dynamic range.

I would clean the windscreen, and maybe the lens.

I think a lot of the grain is coming from dirt scattering the light, if everything was perfectly clean then there would be no halos around the lights.

from a related thread about reading plates:

1080P resolution paired with a wide angle lens can only do so much. it doesn't matter how much you've spent on your camera. dash cams are wide angle so they can capture much of the scene around you while sacrificing the details. if you need the plate number of the person in front of you, make sure you have audio recording on and read it aloud.

it seems folks have waaaaaay too high of an expectation about what 1080p can do. the only way that 1080 can capture plates 3-4 cars ahead is if you have a narrower field of view on your camera.

What are complementary cameras to the SGZC12RC that have narrow FoV? Mobius A was mentioned... any others?

Thanks for your replies! I did expect too much from full HD and it does make sense that reading the plates at night would be difficult.

I noticed that sometimes license plates are clipped even during the day like so:
shot0001.png

Do you think there is an issue with white balance in this camera? Perhaps my camera is missing some firmware update?

That would be a similar hot spot reflection.

We have a new SGRCCPL (clip-on Circular Polarizing Lens) we are testing, it uses the same glass as the SGGCCPL for the SG9665GC
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ns-filter-for-street-guardian-sg9665gc.14256/
Let me know if you want to help test as I have 3 samples now in Nevada.
@niko will create a new thread about the SGRCCPL once it's confirmed ready for the public.
We haven't had a chance to do a side by side test yet since we all sold out of SGZC12RC (more on the way soon)
ZMAeUlY.png
O8Cwffe.png

Last edited:
How's the testing on the CPL? Any ETA of it's availability? Or do you still have any slot for the testing?

Im ahving the same problem, or issue with my new one. Can I change the FOV on this camera? I havent reviewed any daytime footage yet, but the night time footage was really blown out on just about all light sources. I understand head lights reflecting off of plates, but I waited till my lights passed the car and I still couldnt even see the plates.

I have found that my new SGZC12RC has poor video quality in comparison to my 2 year old G1WH.

I picked up the RC based on Street Guardian's reputation for reliability but I am quite disappointed in the quality of the video. Everything looks like it was filmed in lower resolution and upscaled. The detail just is not there. I've confirmed it is set to high quality. Do I have a defective unit or is this to be expected?

I have found that my new SGZC12RC has poor video quality in comparison to my 2 year old G1WH.

I picked up the RC based on Street Guardian's reputation for reliability but I am quite disappointed in the quality of the video. Everything looks like it was filmed in lower resolution and upscaled. The detail just is not there. I've confirmed it is set to high quality. Do I have a defective unit or is this to be expected?

can you provide a sample video so we can have a look

that's the right sort of video for checking this, can you clean your window inside and out though and give us the same sort of sample again, I'd say from the end where you parked in front of the shop that the focus looks ok but your window is dirty and it's easier to assess with clean windows, need to use a proper automotive glass cleaner

Use an ammonia free glass cleaner to avoid invisible film which can refract light. Inside and out

Last edited:
I do have a bottle of that somewhere around here. I'll give it a shot. The vehicle is a year old so the inside glass is a little fogged from off gassing.

Back