Grainy video - SGZC12RC 2016 v2 edition

I'd say that the image has the same issues I reported earlier: overburnt whites.
Almost seems as if the camera/sensor is not utilizing any kind of wide dynamic range, the image is just unnecessarily bright, which destroys details.
Clear indication of that are the registration plates, which are 100% (or almost that) white without any direct reflections on them.

Is your 12RC mounted directly on the windscreen at the top adjacent to the rooflining? If so, you have a remarkable amount of dashboard visible...

397513d0b356673888d6a508d7074bd0.jpg

My 12RC...

3e769678ede9cf8ceb77c2b07eb9c041.jpg

Is your 12RC mounted directly on the windscreen at the top adjacent to the rooflining? If so, you have a remarkable amount of dashboard visible...
My 12RC...
Looks like a generic recommended 40/60 sky/earth distribution, yours is more like 60/40.

Even though I'm assuming the firmware question wasn't for me, just in case: 1.01.02.

Mine were posted here.
Can get fresher ones today, when the car returns home (assuming that the SD card hasn't failed in just a single day).

Last edited:
Looks like a generic recommended 40/60 sky/earth distribution, yours is more like 60/40.
That generic advice is appropriate for the majority of dashcams, but doesn't apply to those that use the Sony IMX322 sensor.

I suggest that @Veinless rotates the lens upwards one notch to reduce the darkness in the lower third of the image, which may improve the overall exposure.

That generic advice is appropriate for the majority of dashcams, but doesn't apply to those that use the Sony IMX322 sensor.

I suggest that @Veinless rotates the lens upwards one notch to reduce the darkness in the lower third of the image, which may improve the overall exposure.
Can Jokiin confirm this?
Would be good to know, because I don't remember anything about this in the installation guide at all.

that can be the case on some models, the sensor can get away with more of the sky than some others can

I definitely feel like whites/brightness blows out the rest of the image.

My cam is not mounted at the highest possible location, but instead in a spot that makes it more inconspicuous. I will try aiming it higher so that the dash is not compromising the image metering.

My firmware is 1.01.04.

I've uploaded two pictures from my drive. These have been resized to permit uploading; I can upload them to Dropbox later if the originals would help. These may help demonstrate some of the dynamic range perhaps not dealing well with a lot of light/white.

Attachments

• cam1_50.png
    cam1_50.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • cam2_50.png
    cam2_50.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
I definitely feel like whites/brightness blows out the rest of the image.

Most of the Sony-sensor cams seem to be similar.
Below are a few comparison pictures of a Panorama (top in each pair) and a Mio 538 (bottom). The Panorama's image and field of view are similar to the SGRC.
Notice the loss of cloud detail due to brightness of the Panorama, but notice how it gains useful brightness in the darker parts of the image.

-

I do have a bottle of that somewhere around here. I'll give it a shot. The vehicle is a year old so the inside glass is a little fogged from off gassing.

Blue ammonia based glass cleaners can also be a cause of interior windshield filming/fogging which is the primary reason not to use them in automobiles. I used to think I had an "off gassing" problem too until I realized it was the damned Windex! :(

Most of the Sony-sensor cams seem to be similar.
Below are a few comparison pictures of a Panorama (top in each pair) and a Mio 538 (bottom). The Panorama's image and field of view are similar to the SGRC.
Notice the loss of cloud detail due to brightness of the Panorama, but notice how it gains useful brightness in the darker parts of the image.
Those are just examples of poor metering.

Back