GS900 (VF960S)

How long the in built battery will work? At times, it happens that you are also charging your mobile phone through the same cigarette charger and in that point of time you cannot record the videos (incase if you have battery powered DVR that can atleast run for an hour without external power)

Excuse me for getting too choosy, but its a genuine query :D

Any solutions for that? :geek:

typicalvishu said:
How long the in built battery will work? At times, it happens that you are also charging your mobile phone through the same cigarette charger and in that point of time you cannot record the videos (incase if you have battery powered DVR that can atleast run for an hour without external power)

Excuse me for getting too choosy, but its a genuine query :D

Any solutions for that? :geek:

the batteries are intended for file shutdown purposes, not for running the cam, the larger the battery the larger the liability, buy yourself a cheap double adapter for your cigarette socket if you're concerned about wanting to use the power for something else, easiest solution

My VF960S arrived today and so far so good although I haven't used it a great deal yet. One thing I have noticed is that is doesn't like my Strontium 32GB class 10 micro SD card. It starts recording and stops immediately (less than a second later). I put the same card into my year-old GS5000 and I have no problems.

So then I tried my Strontium 16GB class 10 micro SD card (that I normally use in my GS5000) in the VF960S and it works fine.

I find it hard to believe that the VF960S doesn't wok well with the 32GB card. I even tried to format the 32GB card in the camera but no change.

I plugged the 32GB card into my PC to check if the PC would read it OK and it does, there are even files on it that the VF960S has written to it but the duration of the files is less than one second.

Strange... Oh well, I'll just use my 16GB card in it, no biggie.

Hi Driftking,

I have both Sandisk and Samsung 32GB cards and these seemed to work perfectly until they got full and then I started to have issues similar to what you have but my camera will record for a minute and then stop.

To the GS900 owners on here, what video settings, ie. sharpness, quality (standard, super fine) etc. do you find produce the best quality video recordings?

DriftKing said:
To the GS900 owners on here, what video settings, ie. sharpness, quality (standard, super fine) etc. do you find produce the best quality video recordings?

Not that it will help much, but the settings I use are "Turn ignition key on" to start, and "turn ignition key off" to stop :D

I use whatever the defaults are.

DriftKing said:

Hey DriftKing, I saw you asked a question earlier about how the parking mode works that never got answered. Now that you have one of these, can you post your comments on the parking mode? I'm looking to upgrade my DVR-207GS to a VF960S. Nevertheless, a bad parking mode is a deal breaker for me since my car has been dinged while parked a couple of times now. :x

What I'm wondering is if the parking mode just looks for motion on the video or if recording is actually triggered by the g-sensor. And in the case of an event, does it save some recording before the event or only records after... I'm guessing for the parking mode to work you have to tap into an always-on power outlet in the car?

Thanks!

Gabolinche said:
Hey DriftKing, I saw you asked a question earlier about how the parking mode works that never got answered. Now that you have one of these, can you post your comments on the parking mode?

Sorry, I really know nothing about parking mode, I don't know why I even asked about it. The camera does have an option to enable parking mode in the menu but the manual is very vague and makes no mention of parking mode nor does it give an instructions on how to actually use the thing.

Overall however, after two days of use I am very happy with it.

To all the VF960S owners, can you put effort to show up the actual still images/ videos of the dashcam mounted on the windscreen. I just want to see how much space it gobbles up & is it really discreet?

Also, there are two ways of mounting the dashcam on the windscreen, one is the suction cup & the other one is the 3M tape. If you use the tape, will you be able to remove the dashcam often from the mount?

To all the VF960S owners, can you put effort to show up the actual still images/ videos of the dashcam mounted on the windscreen. I just want to see how much space it gobbles up & is it really discreet?

Also, there are two ways of mounting the dashcam on the windscreen, one is the suction cup & the other one is the 3M tape. If you use the tape, will you be able to remove the dashcam often from the mount?
I use the 3M tape.
I don't remove it from the mount.
Here are some pictures for you.
http://s58.photobucket.com/user/KinNip/library/

Hey Vishu, I'm not an actual VF960S owner but I was considering it vs. the GT550W discussed in another thread. In the end, I'm favoring the GT550W but haven't decided yet. The Techmoan review here might help you get a feel for the actual size and how it will look mounted on your windscreen.

Regarding the suction cup vs. 3M mounts. With my current DVR-207GS I first used a suction cup mount but it fell continually from the windscreen (about once every 48 hours) so I decided to switch to a smaller, permanent 3M mount. The smaller 3M mount definitely helps hide your camera in a more discreet way (suction cups tend to be larger and bulkier) but it is a permanent mount (no taking it off temporarily). If you need to permanently take it off, you can watch this video. In the video they remove a 3M mount from a surfboard but the technique is the same for removing it from glass.

I use the 3M tape.
I don't remove it from the mount.
Here are some pictures for you.
http://s58.photobucket.com/user/KinNip/library/

Thanks a ton! By putting the 3M mount, infact you have made the dashcam more discreet. The suction mount cannot be put over the dotted region (since its not smooth & hence no vacuum) but you can paste the 3M over there, so it puts your camera higher just behind the rear view mirror. Great work!

I am concerned about one more thing, even after putting the 3M mount, can I remove the dashcam incase if I need to remove?

How about dashcam lying in Sun for an extended period of time, as I park my car in open, though there is no theft issue.

You can remove the dashcam either by removing the long screws that holds the GPS antenna in place or by loosen up the holding nut on the ball joint and pull the ball lever away from the socket, if you do that every day, I think you would worn out the ball and the socket. You don't need to touch the 3M tape, you can remove the dashcam.

The 3M adhesive is very strong, I had no problem with the heat from the sun this summer. We had temperature around 35C a week ago, out in the sun all day, inside the car probably around 50C, I guess, without any problem. I am in a cooler climate here, your area may have a lot higher temperature.

Here is my setup.

2013-09-21 08.03.19.jpg 2013-09-21 08.04.02.jpg

Cheers :) Mario

Hey Vishu, I'm not an actual VF960S owner but I was considering it vs. the GT550W discussed in another thread. In the end, I'm favoring the GT550W but haven't decided yet. The Techmoan review here might help you get a feel for the actual size and how it will look mounted on your windscreen.

Thanks @Gabolinche for the detailed explanation. How is the GT550W? Are there any reviews available?

Looks great & discreet. Do you remove the dashcam or leave it there all the time?
Also, the way you have worked on the wires/cable to hide them is commendable, Nice work! How long is the power cable as given by the manufacturer? Did you attach extra wire?

I leave it there all the time, however it is easily removed. I am using the standard power cable (I did try a USB/Converter but I was getting weird charging results) just routed very economically.

Cheers :) Mario

I wonder if they've been having problems with that function, can't think why they'd remove it unless it was causing them grief

Of all the more well known Chinese sellers I have to say Foxoffer seem to be the most proactive when it comes to firmware, that should surely stand in their favor when people are considering where to buy from

I wonder if they've been having problems with that function, can't think why they'd remove it unless it was causing them grief

Of all the more well known Chinese sellers I have to say Foxoffer seem to be the most proactive when it comes to firmware, that should surely stand in their favor when people are considering where to buy from

Hey jokiin,

From what I have read here and on the blog, it seems many users did not fully understand the value of having GPS synced timecode. The biggest beef was there was no user selectable option in the firmware which allowed the DVR to display GPS synced "local" time, with the timezone offset applied. It would only display in UTC, nothing else. If they had a timezone option in the firmware it would be the best of both worlds.

Back