Is the YI 4K itself water resistant?

tsukeyomi

Reaction score
Country
Italy
As per title, is the YI 4K itself water resistant?

I have the waterproof case and it works fine but is the camera itself resistant to water splashes and such? For example, can I film with the camera (without putting it in the waterproof case) under light rain?

It's an action camera, so one imagines it to be (at least to some extent) water and dust resistant, but I can't find any info on that.

It has lots of holes on the top surface for the speaker and microphones so it will not take much rain before it gets inside and then runs down the electronic circuits! Probably one of the least water resistant cameras.

they don't list any IP rating for the camera in the specifications, they only mention a waterproof rating when using the case
Yes, that's what I notice too.
I opened this thread to have a clear answer on the matter, hopefully someone with some official knowledge will chime in.

It would be a pity if the camera is not splash or dust resistant in any way. After all, it's an action camera, that's what they are supposed to do... If not, the waterproof case should be bundled with the camera by default at least.

It has lots of holes on the top surface for the speaker and microphones so it will not take much rain before it gets inside and then runs down the electronic circuits! Probably one of the least water resistant cameras.
That's true... Such a pity!

I can categorically confirm that the Yi 4K itself is not waterproof - as evidenced by the fact that mine was ruined on its first outing by the failure/flooding of the official Yi waterproof housing :mad:

I had tested the housing without the camera inside in the pool in our holiday villa and it appeared watertight. However when I subsequently put the camera in and used it in the sea whilst swimming/snorkelling the housing flooded (despite the clip still being securely closed).

Subsequent examination reveals that when the camera is inside the housing there is still a small gap between the main part of the housing and the back door even when the door is closed and the safety clip at the top is secured. Whilst there is a white rubber seal around the inside of the door, the gap is obviously sufficient to allow water to get past the seal and into the housing when the camera is used whilst swimming/snorkelling. Photo below with the camera inside, the door closed and the safety clip secured - you can clearly see the gap.

yi4k.jpg

I'm going back to the retailer and asking for refund/replacement, as this is clearly a design/manufacturing defect. I'd advise anyone who buys the official Yi housing to check theirs very carefully before using in water.

:(

I can categorically confirm that the Yi 4K itself is not waterproof - as evidenced by the fact that mine was ruined on its first outing by the failure/flooding of the official Yi waterproof housing :mad:

I had tested the housing without the camera inside in the pool in our holiday villa and it appeared watertight. However when I subsequently put the camera in and used it in the sea whilst swimming/snorkelling the housing flooded (despite the clip still being securely closed).

Subsequent examination reveals that when the camera is inside the housing there is still a small gap between the main part of the housing and the back door even when the door is closed and the safety clip at the top is secured. Whilst there is a white rubber seal around the inside of the door, the gap is obviously sufficient to allow water to get past the seal and into the housing when the camera is used whilst swimming/snorkelling. Photo below with the camera inside, the door closed and the safety clip secured - you can clearly see the gap.

yi4k.jpg

I'm going back to the retailer and asking for refund/replacement, as this is clearly a design/manufacturing defect. I'd advise anyone who buys the official Yi housing to check theirs very carefully before using in water.

:(
Wow, this is bad.

I got the official waterproof case just to be on the safe side but it looks like it won't be enough. I'll check my case very carefully, anything you suggest to do in order to avoid this issue?

Additionally, where did you buy your camera? What steps will you take to return it? Please also keep me updated (even via PM, if you prefer so), on the return process and its details.

Thanks a lot for sharing, wish you the best for your return.

I will update here on the return/refund/replacement process. I bought it from a small UK supplier. I won't name them yet until I see how they respond, however I will 'name and shame' if necessary, as this is clearly a design/manufacturing defect rather than any form of user error.

I will update here on the return/refund/replacement process. I bought it from a small UK supplier. I won't name them yet until I see how they respond, however I will 'name and shame' if necessary, as this is clearly a design/manufacturing defect rather than any form of user error.
Holy **** you are right. The original YI case has indeed the defect you described. I also took a picture of mine, you can clearly see the gap.
59l7rgl.jpg

This is bad. Still did not put my camera into it but now I'm afraid. Don't know what to do. Should I ask for a refund? Return? Don't know.

That's very concerning. I'd sort of presumed that the issue with mine was a one-off defect, however the fact that your housing exhibits the same gap when closed/locked does suggest that it may be a wider problem.

I have sent a PM to YIcameraCS asking them to have a look at this thread and the photos and provide a response, so let's see what they have to say...

First off the assembly line? Lemons? Let's see if Yi Technology will fix your issues.

Disappointing initial response from the retailer. Basically they are claiming that because the waterproof housing is sold as a separate product to the camera itself then they are legally obliged to refund/replace the housing, but are not liable for any 'consequential damage' caused by its failure (i.e. the ruined camera). They also claim that Xiaoyi has a similar clause in the warranty for the housing.

If the housing and camera were bundled and sold together then this legal loophole would not exist and the retailer and/or manufacturer would be responsible for the camera as well.

No response from YIcameraCS yet but I hope they will 'do the right thing' in the circumstances, There is clearly a design/manufacturing defect with the housing, and it would be completely unreasonable to hide away behind this artificial legal loophole and avoid liability in this way.

I'll update more as things progress. :(

I've emailed CS directly at support@YItechnology.com so I'll see what response I get... Hopefully they will use this as an opportunity to demonstrate excellent customer service rather than walking away from their customers in response to what is clearly a design/manufacturing defect in the official waterproof housing.

This is a good test situation, although, I think we will not get customer satisfaction from the Chinese sellers( except that Gitup through the DCT pages has offered satisfaction to buyers of the Git cams that malfunctioned). From what I have read there is not much Authority to correct bad business practices in China.
In 2015 I read Sony's 4k camera's on-line manual and it said explicitly that water damage wasn't covered under warranty.
I think that USA based Gopro has covered water damage. In this case ,obviously a manufacturing defect should be covered.

I've emailed CS directly at support@YItechnology.com so I'll see what response I get... Hopefully they will use this as an opportunity to demonstrate excellent customer service rather than walking away from their customers in response to what is clearly a design/manufacturing defect in the official waterproof housing.
Keep me updated.

But how come we are the only ones who noticed? Are there more people who lost their cams because of the original waterproof case?

Given how recently the Yi 4K has been released I suspect that not many people have had chance to use their cameras underwater yet. I certainly can't see many examples of underwater Yi 4K footage on Youtube. Of course many may not even have bought the official housing (either because they don't want to use underwater, or because they intend to buy a cheaper third-party housing).

I would hope that bringing this to their attention early would be appreciated by Xiaoyi and will hopefully encourage them to 'do the right thing'. They quickly need to do additional quality control checks on their waterproof housings and/or do a recall of defective housings, otherwise they risk some major damage to their brand if a large number of purchasers find that their Yi 4K cameras are killed by defective official waterproof housings.

This is a good test situation, although, I think we will not get customer satisfaction from the Chinese sellers( except that Gitup through the DCT pages has offered satisfaction to buyers of the Git cams that malfunctioned). From what I have read there is not much Authority to correct bad business practices in China.
In 2015 I read Sony's 4k camera's on-line manual and it said explicitly that water damage wasn't covered under warranty.
I think that USA based Gopro has covered water damage. In this case ,obviously a manufacturing defect should be covered.

No GoPro does not cover water damage. No company does. They say it is the users responsibility to ensure the case is functioning correctly and to properly seal the case. So they do not cover water damage.
It sucks to see that happen. I just ordered the camera and now I am pretty worried.

Update
GoPro Does offer an extended warranty for an additional $99. dollars. And if you if the camera gets water damage you pay another $79 on top of that to get replaced.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chris K Yi 4K Action Camera 4
S Yi 4K Action Camera 1
Back