YI Open API

Tao Ma

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey there, are you a software developer or a hardware maker? Interested in building something really cool, be it an app or a gadget, using our YI Action Camera? If you do understand what the questions are about, we at YI Technology have a good news for you - our upcoming YI Open API. Check out more details and sign yourself up for updates from us at http://yiopen.com

We want to hear from you the developers on what you want to build on top of our camera and how we can help you to make your idea come true. In essence, what are the kind of APIs you want from us?

Email us at op@yitechnology.com any suggestions and thoughts.

One thing I would really like to see is support to control multiple cameras. So one camera acts as an access point (as it does now) and the others can join this Wifi network (or all cameras join an existing Wifi network). There are many use cases, for instance rows of cameras, 360 degree rigs, ...

Another interesting feature is support for manual exposure times (or a set of exposure times to set).

Finally it would be great if the Open API is platform independent or at least open source.

Thanks for the great inputs, we will put those into considerations.

Also if you are interested in hearing updates from us, or get to know of others who share the same passion, you are welcome to join our YI Open API community on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/YIOpenAPI/

they need a central point to discuss if they want to have a community project

Of course. But there are other online sites meeting all possible requirements that are not intrusive outfits like Facebook, some of them very large and well known. So, why should you have to join an Internet nasty like Facebook "if you are interested in hearing updates from us, or getting to know of others who share the same passion."?

Their project, their choice I guess, I don't know that other free hubs are any better, remember, if the service is free, you're the product

Their project, their choice I guess, I don't know that other free hubs are any better, remember, if the service is free, you're the product

I know all about the cost of Internet services and who ultimately finances them, and also how they rank on lots of scores. Yi Technology have probably gone for Facebook because they don't know much about that stuff and, more importantly, they've given no thought to the ethics of turning their customers into another, quite unrelated company's product. Sort of like selling their customer lists to spammers, only - given Facebook's far more sophisticated exploitation methodology - worse.

But, additionally, Yi Technology haven't even bothered to take on board the range of facilities available from Facebook (if that is their choice of platform for, to quote Tao Ma, conveying relevant information to those "interested in hearing updates from us" - who will be a majority compared to those who want to become more involved). As they have their Facebook account set up, not only those with an active interest in becoming involved but also those who are just interested in hearing of updates can't get access without joining Facebook, as distinct from just visiting the site and viewing the conversation. Yet thousands of sports groups or rock bands and so on, who don't have a clue about Internet or any other technology, can manage to configure Facebook so their "fans" can view the action by just visiting even if their hardcore supporters need to join to "participate" (see the Ulefone Facebook "community" for a real-life technology example).

So, as I asked, "have to join Facebook [just to be updated on this stuff] - why so?"

Given that Facebook is blocked in China the project is probably being driven by someone outside of the company and its their platform of choice

Fair enough, but now a question for the driver: "have to join Facebook [just to be updated on this stuff] - why so?" o_O

This is a welcome addition.

I can second some of the other suggestions, that a universal API would be nice, such as a RESTful API. That would likely be the easiest for people to use. We'd just need to point a browser (or a script could hit a URL) to the camera IP (on same network) to execute basic commands (start, stop, pause, change mode, download files).

I plan to use the API for a platform that will require the camera to talk to Linux/Python. The functionality I seek is:
- Start / Stop camera (if mode is photo, take still)
- Access stream feed
- Change modes
- Access file list
- Retrieve files
- Delete files
- Set Time/Date (for time sync)

Last edited:
Fair enough, but now a question for the driver: "have to join Facebook [just to be updated on this stuff] - why so?" o_O

Facebook BAD, Yi 4k GOOD.....Me no use facebook to access GOOD info.

Setup a forum somewhere, github would be a good place to start.

Can i lock iso and shutter speed via API ? Or by some apps? I dont't need AE

Most wanted feature for photo mode:
1. Manual setting of exposure time (beside white balance and ISO ... what is already possible via GUI)
2. Shoot in RAW format

Can i lock iso and shutter speed via API ? Or by some apps? I dont't need AE
Agreed! The Yi 4K has a lot of potential for creative cinematography but the AE entirely obstructs those possibilities.

Back