First post...Overwhelmed...Overresearched

hyperm3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Vico Opia2 and loving it
Hey all,
First post here and very thankful I just found this forum. I have literally spent the last two weeks reading every review and watching every youtube video I could find(too much time on my hands). I really need your assistance in helping pick out my first dashcam.

What Im looking for:
  • Preferably one cam but if its the best and has a rear cam too thats ok
  • Suction cup mount, I dont want anything permanently mounted.
  • Excellent night vision
  • Hardwire capability
  • Parking modes
  • Prefer LCD, I dont want to rely on my phone to make any changes
  • I dont care about GPS or Safety features like lane departure and collision warning
  • Price not a concern
So far I have vacillated between the: Kdlinks DX2, Falcon Pro Touch, Opia2, and Thinkware X550.

My biggest concern is that newer models are right around the corner and they will be a significant jump in processing and quality. However, I want something now and dont mind replacing it a year from now.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Keep in mind that newer models will always be right around the corner. Most often newer models with newer technology will have kinks that need to be sorted out and this can take quite some time. Choose a good performing camera from a well regarded manufacturer that has already been on the market for awhile, that receives authentic positive reviews and that has a proven record of long term reliability.

Thank you!

Keep in mind that newer models will always be right around the corner. Most often newer models with newer technology will have kinks that need to be sorted out and this can take quite some time. Choose a good performing camera from a well regarded manufacturer that has already been on the market for awhile, that receives authentic positive reviews and that has a proven record of long term reliability.

Appreciate that reply. Unfortunately I've read so many reviews I can't tell what's real or fake. If I could get some feedback on the options I mentioned or if you know of another that I haven't considered yet that would be great.

Getting hard when you have that suction cup addiction :D but of those you have outlined i think i would go with the Opia2.
But i have no personal experience with it, or am totally sure it can serve your other needs like parking guard.
Many reviews is also just a 1 night stand for the reviewer, so longevity of the product can still be a issue.

Getting hard when you have that suction cup addiction :D

Haha fair enough. Ok let's say I took that one part out of the equation, which would you then recommend along with my other parameters?

Don't get too attached to suction cup mounts. :)
I prefer them, also, because I play 'musical cams' in my truck, but If you buy some replacement 3m VHB tapes, moving the cams is not such a big deal, maybe a few minute process.

Since you're on this forum, I'll suggest some proven cams that have a following and support on various levels on this site. The Viofo A119, and the various Street Guardians.

If you're worried about buying something that will be outclassed in a few weeks, (on paper or in reality) you better keep away from all electronic stuff. :)

Alright, just ordered up the X550. Ill report back with my findings.

Ok, I ended up cancelling that order. I know, Im "That Guy" right now. Im more leaning towards the Opia2 because of the suction mount now but then Ive seen the new MF3 they have with the same A12 chip. I cant seem to find much info on this unit right now.

All five of my cams came with both suction and adhesive mount.

I poo-pooed capacitor units until one of mine failed after sitting in the sun over last fourth of July weekend.

Until recently only way to get a quality full featured unit stateside was online international purchase. Now purchase from domestic retailer is worth the small difference.

As to cost, I suggest selecting mid range with desired features without excluding those with more. Upgrade in three years won't feel like tossing a Harman Kardon VHS. Also makes hardwiring two more attractive than moving between cars.

If I purchased today, I'd likely buy the A119s with gps and cpl.

The MF3 look promising too, but there is little knowledge and user experience to find in here regarding that model.

But Vico is normally on the top of the game with their cameras to my knowledge.

The A119S is packing the IMX 291, so it have potential to be top of the line low light performer.

lol, me too.... information overloaded! lots of post about "what should i buy"!!!! I don't know if i should get a single lens, 2channels or dual lens?

Just about any camera is better than no camera, but it is also possible you buy too cheap and luck out as when something finally happen you find out the camera stopped recording months ago.
We had a few come in here and tell that story.

In general i feel one camera on the windscreen is just fine, it might not capture all that go around your car, but it dont need to, it will log 100% what you are doing with your car.
And if you dont do anything stupid then what ever happen on or off camera must be blamed on the other part.

If you have the microphone on it will pick up your indicator, so on can claim you did not indicate. Also the camera will record you hold your lane so it was not your fault that idiot side swiped you as he claim.

So there is a lot of good in just one camera, and if you like me like to expose the dumbasses out there on youtube you can always expand your setup down the road.
I have more cameras in my car than a well equipped CNN studio, but by far most of the interesting things happen in front of my car.

So
1. dont buy too cheap
2. have a look at the footage on the SD card once in a while to make sure files correspond with the drivings you done lately, and have a look not least on last file in drive sessions to make sure it can launch in what player you use on the computer.
3. and dont go cheap on the SD card either, those little suckers are the weakest link, at least in good cameras.

And remember if you start small, and get hooked and want to expand down the road, you can always hand over the old camera to a worthwhile person.
My old Lukas is in my little sisters car, and i keep my friend hooked up too with cameras i received as free test samples after i have stopped beating on them.

And giving is always much better than getting, instant 1 up on the karma account :)

While all of this is good advice, it's nothing I haven't already thought about during the research. I was hoping to get direction on a few devices based on my criteria listed in op. I just want the best camera that should last me at least a year.

With so many cams out there, making your first choice is always tough. Set a budget first. For the whole package almost nothing under $50 is worth considering though a sale may net you a slightly better price. This is buying direct from China where you'll be waiting weeks fir shipment and where customer and warranty service is a nightmare. Though it will cost more, using a local seller recommended on DCT is a much safer and faster proposition.

Next see what form factor and mounting options you can use. That should have things narrowed down quite a lot. Now see which of those cams has the features you want. If you're in a hot climate a super-cap powered cam us almost mandatory. At this point you ought to be down to 10 cams or less to consider. Research those here on DCT. Ask questions and view videos recorded both day and night. That should leave you with some solid ideas and choices and only a few cams to ponder over before buying.

See? That wasn't as hard as you thought it would be :D
Phil

With so many cams out there, making your first choice is always tough. Set a budget first. For the whole package almost nothing under $50 is worth considering though a sale may net you a slightly better price. This is buying direct from China where you'll be waiting weeks fir shipment and where customer and warranty service is a nightmare. Though it will cost more, using a local seller recommended on DCT is a much safer and faster proposition.

Next see what form factor and mounting options you can use. That should have things narrowed down quite a lot. Now see which of those cams has the features you want. If you're in a hot climate a super-cap powered cam us almost mandatory. At this point you ought to be down to 10 cams or less to consider. Research those here on DCT. Ask questions and view videos recorded both day and night. That should leave you with some solid ideas and choices and only a few cams to ponder over before buying.

See? That wasn't as hard as you thought it would be :D
Phil

Phil thanks for your response. Did you read my initial post though? Unfortunately your response is telling me to do more research on what I've already been researching. Not trying to be a d*call but I'm basically asking people to tell me what to buy with the parameters I've listed above.

https://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-buying-guide/

Dunno if you already found that one

Anyway if i should do a little name/ brand dropping.

The lukas LK-7500 and 7900, both aging cameras but seem to last well, the LK7500 is doing strong in sisters car. but these are no longer up there in low light performance, also not POS either, but things have moved forward in the past 3 years.

The qvia cameras should also be safe bets, and as its the new deluxe brand of lukas the cameras should have up to date sensors. ( both single and dual cameras on offer )

The little Thinkware F50 also seem alright and the F77o for dual channel cameras.

The Vifo cameras also seem to be doing alright for them self, the older A118 may lag in night performance A119 should be a little better and the just released A119S at least have a chance to be a top of the line contender in regard to low light performance.

Other brands thats worth a look might be Iroad - urdrive - Cowon - panorama - Ausdom - joovuu - Yi dash cam

And if buyer safety and customer care is important things to you, then we have Street Guardian that is strongly represented in here from the boss of the company down to retailers of the brand in all corners of the globe.
But i cant sing their praise too loud as i am a tester for the company, but i think their presence in here and so speak for it self.

The biggest question aside for how much you are willing to spend is, what kind of form factor will suit your car best.

Some cameras like the Lukas dual channel systems have quite large front units with a 3" screen, so they are not that stealthy.
other have the barrel shape that in most cases will ensure a more stealthy install, and if you want really stealthy then there is the SGZC12RC that is a single channel camera with the camera on a wire and a little head unit to stash in the glove box or some other out of sight place ( be sure not to install out of reach you need to get a hold of SD card now and then, and a in camera format once in a while is also not a bad thing for any dashcam )

You will want to look for cameras with the Sony IMX 322 sensor ( current top dog in low light performance ) or using the 4 megapixel OV sensor OV4689 sensor also used in a lot of dashcams

Up and coming sensors is the Sony IMX 291, but few cameras with that out now ( A119S ) but more to come, and that sensor will no doubt be new low light performance top dog

https://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-buying-guide/

Dunno if you already found that one

Anyway if i should do a little name/ brand dropping.

The lukas LK-7500 and 7900, both aging cameras but seem to last well, the LK7500 is doing strong in sisters car. but these are no longer up there in low light performance, also not POS either, but things have moved forward in the past 3 years.

The qvia cameras should also be safe bets, and as its the new deluxe brand of lukas the cameras should have up to date sensors. ( both single and dual cameras on offer )

The little Thinkware F50 also seem alright and the F77o for dual channel cameras.

The Vifo cameras also seem to be doing alright for them self, the older A118 may lag in night performance A119 should be a little better and the just released A119S at least have a chance to be a top of the line contender in regard to low light performance.

Other brands thats worth a look might be Iroad - urdrive - Cowon - panorama - Ausdom - joovuu - Yi dash cam

And if buyer safety and customer care is important things to you, then we have Street Guardian that is strongly represented in here from the boss of the company down to retailers of the brand in all corners of the globe.

The biggest question aside for how much you are willing to spend is, what kind of form factor will suit your car best.

Some cameras like the Lukas dual channel systems have quite large front units with a 3" screen, so they are not that stealthy.
other have the barrel shape that in most cases will ensure a more stealthy install, and if you want really stealthy then there is the SGZC12RC that is a single channel camera with the camera on a wire and a little head unit to stash in the glove box or some other out of sight place ( be sure not to install out of reach you need to get a hold of SD card now and then, and a in camera format once in a while is also not a bad thing for any dashcam )

You will want to look for cameras with the Sony IMX 322 sensor ( current top dog in low light performance ) or using the 4 megapixel OV sensor OV4689 sensor also used in a lot of dashcams

Up and coming sensors is the Sony IMX 291, but few cameras with that out now ( A119S ) but more to come, and will no doubt be new low light performance top dog

Yes, I've been all over every thread in this forum. I guess I'm asking for too much out of a dash cam. When I get to this point of research on anything I end up giving up and waiting.

So what's more important; the sensor or the chip?

For sure you do not want to be too focused on plate capture, it is not as easy as it may sound even in daylight and with very readable Danish plates.
And dont get me started on low light performance, low light ( even just a grey but not yet rainy day ) can reek havoc on what one of these little sensors can do.

And it will be many years before we get anything thats truly usable in low light / night time, at least thats what my crystal ball say.
So we will just have to make do with little incremental steps for years to come.

I think the sensor is the top thing in a dashcam, but as we have seen over the years there is many ways to make a dashcam.

Good sensor + cheapo POS lens = no good but save a few buks
Good sensor + okay lens but paired with sub standart chipset = no good
Good sensor + good lens + good chipset but using a cheap plastic socket for the good lens = heat related focus shift and thats also no good.

You can also see cameras with the same hardware, but one brand will keep updating on the firmware as new SDK come out from chipset maker, and the other brand with same hardware will just make camera - release it, and then move on.

Not least Chinese brands will jump thru all kinds of hoops to save a buck to sell cheaper or earn more on their product.

There is a wealth of products out there as you know, many looking much alike as they share the same public housing, for instance the popular SG9665GC you can find much cheaper cameras using the exact same housing.
Same goes with a lot other generic housings that you can buy at prizes that differ a lot as you can get the same housing from a factory but with 3 - 4 hardware alternatives, some of witch are not even worth the solder material used to stick them together.

Some public housings you can find on the internet with 20 different brand names on them.

Back