First post...Overwhelmed...Overresearched

@hyperm3: I'm in exactly the same situation as you currently are. Just looking for the best available cam available and I've had the Opia 2 in the back of my mind for a few days. Think I'm just gonna order it as well, you seem to be happy with it. :)

Yes, very happy with my decision. The parking motion sensing works great too, exactly what I was looking for.

And I'm doubting again...

Does anybody know the difference between the Opia 2 and the MF3? Seems like the MF3 was released later on but spec wise it's near identical to the Opia 2, other software or something perhaps?

And rightfully so, there seen to be little diffrence betwen the 2 models.

1. both appear to be using the 4 mpix OV4689 sensor also found in other dashcams
2. they both appear to use the A12 chipset.

The MF3 appear to have a F1.2 lens where the opia use a F2.0, so in that regard the Mf3 should be better.
The MF3 also seem to support some smart features like speed cam warning, but this is off a database so Belgium might not be supported for that feature.

http://www.vicovation.com/productdetial.asp?id=945C3762-5F60-42B1-88CC-5F45E0E55757&lang=eng
http://www.vicovation.com/productdetial.asp?id=34CB3554-EA8E-4DBF-90BF-200D90C4778B&lang=eng

Does anybody know the difference between the Opia 2 and the MF3? Seems like the MF3 was released later on but spec wise it's near identical to the Opia 2, other software or something perhaps?
Opia2 has f/2.o lens with 160 degree viewing angle
MF3 has f/1.8 lens with 150 degree viewing angle.
Opia2 has capacitors
MF3 has Cobalt Oxide batteries
Both have A12 and OV 4MP sensor

I was looking at that as well but the main thing that turned me off was it had a dedicated parking mode key. I dont want to have to press a key every time I park my car. I like that the Opia2 does it automatically.

Thanks for the above feedback. Initially I am just going to buy a dashcam and depending on the video quality, I will likely also get a Vico Power Plus to hook it up to my battery for parking mode.
Having to manually activate the parking mode each time does seem to be a disadvantage, I will likely forget it most of the time...

I also just watched some videos of both the Opia 2 and the MF3. And somehow the MF3 footage seems a bit too sharp/crisp for me, not sure what is going on there but I think I still prefer the Opia 2 footage.

Now just to find the cheapest shop which ships to Belgium. :)

Thanks for the above feedback. Initially I am just going to buy a dashcam and depending on the video quality, I will likely also get a Vico Power Plus to hook it up to my battery for parking mode.
Having to manually activate the parking mode each time does seem to be a disadvantage, I will likely forget it most of the time...

I also just watched some videos of both the Opia 2 and the MF3. And somehow the MF3 footage seems a bit too sharp/crisp for me, not sure what is going on there but I think I still prefer the Opia 2 footage.

Now just to find the cheapest shop which ships to Belgium. :)

If you check out the support page for the Opia2 on the Vicovation website, you can see they have two current options for firmware. One is a sharper recording and the other is a softer recording. You can upload either one very easily to the unit and play around with which one you prefer. Im currently running the softer version but thats the only one I tried so far.

Until you get into the habit, put a sticker somewhere that you will see on exiting the car as a reminder, then the habit will become normal. My secondary cams are on one toggle-switch and though I still forget occasionally it's almost automatic to reach for the switch now. It will come to you in time ;)

Phil

I've had more than few dash cams, but I've been most satisfied with the "Mini" 0801...0805...0806 models.

I have been in the same situation with information overload and trying to figure out what is the best. I did end up with the A119 and I think i am quite happy with the choice. The logic and reasoning behind the purchase was not to get the best unit. I have concluded this is a never ending and self-defeating proposition. I purchased on price, performance and fit. After many long nights wondering if I should look towards one unit over another and then reading more reviews that would inevitably find a 3rd, 4th or 5th option, I decided it best to set a price I would like to pay. In that price I judged if the available units had the feature/function that I wanted and a performance that would be acceptable. If you give up on going for the one-upmanship of this unit is better than that in any particular review. Rather ask the question of will it do what I need? Then lastly it came down to fit. this is an item that I think we forget about. I wanted a unit that was esthetically viable for my vehicle and would mount in a manner that would not be troublesome to my use. For that the A119 with it's small size and wedge shape fit perfectly near the top of the windshield beside the rear view mirror in a spot that would not block my field of view. As it met the other criteria I bought it.

I figure in the bigger picture of things, I paid about $150 when you factor in I had to add a switched outlet to run the unit. Amortise that over a 2 year period it works out to $1.45 a week. So if I miss going out for a medium coffee once a week, it has been paid for. If the unit fails in two years, then it really won't be a big deal as the cost has already been absorbed. If it saves me from one bogus stop sign ticket, then it has paid for itself 3x over. If it proves that I was not at fault for an auto accident it has paid for itself 5-50x+ over. The cost of not having one can be far more than waiting for the perfect unit to be made and bought.

Just about any camera is better than no camera, but it is also possible you buy too cheap and luck out as when something finally happen you find out the camera stopped recording months ago.
We had a few come in here and tell that story.

In general i feel one camera on the windscreen is just fine, it might not capture all that go around your car, but it dont need to, it will log 100% what you are doing with your car.
And if you dont do anything stupid then what ever happen on or off camera must be blamed on the other part.

If you have the microphone on it will pick up your indicator, so on can claim you did not indicate. Also the camera will record you hold your lane so it was not your fault that idiot side swiped you as he claim.

So there is a lot of good in just one camera, and if you like me like to expose the dumbasses out there on youtube you can always expand your setup down the road.
I have more cameras in my car than a well equipped CNN studio, but by far most of the interesting things happen in front of my car.

So
1. dont buy too cheap
2. have a look at the footage on the SD card once in a while to make sure files correspond with the drivings you done lately, and have a look not least on last file in drive sessions to make sure it can launch in what player you use on the computer.
3. and dont go cheap on the SD card either, those little suckers are the weakest link, at least in good cameras.

And remember if you start small, and get hooked and want to expand down the road, you can always hand over the old camera to a worthwhile person.
My old Lukas is in my little sisters car, and i keep my friend hooked up too with cameras i received as free test samples after i have stopped beating on them.

And giving is always much better than getting, instant 1 up on the karma account :)
You forgot to say you also have a flash light to make dash cam friends lol

...I figure in the bigger picture of things, I paid about $150 when you factor in I had to add a switched outlet to run the unit. Amortise that over a 2 year period it works out to $1.45 a week. So if I miss going out for a medium coffee once a week, it has been paid for. If the unit fails in two years, then it really won't be a big deal as the cost has already been absorbed. If it saves me from one bogus stop sign ticket, then it has paid for itself 3x over. If it proves that I was not at fault for an auto accident it has paid for itself 5-50x+ over. The cost of not having one can be far more than waiting for the perfect unit to be made and bought.
We all pay a lot more than that for insurance (auto, home, medical, etc.) with the hopes that we will never need it. I look at the cost of dash cam(s) the same way.

Back