Thieye T5e - serious video image flickering makes the camera useless!

Argiris Logothetis

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello.
I’ve just received my own copy of T5e. Unfortunately its video seems having a big problem! Artifacts appear in the video even with the slightest movement of camera. The artifacts appear as parallel lines in the video (flickering). I do not know how to explain it by it seems that the frames refresh rate is out of sync . I have test several settings, latest firmware but to no avail. Even if the video quality and colors are excellent, these artifacts are VERY annoying and makes the camera useless for serious video capture.

You may use the following link to get the sample video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByjS_KWLnJh9OWk5WXNkbmduZkE/view?usp=sharing

Check especially from 0:0:11 to 0:0:16 the horizontal flickering of the image is very clear. Like the frame refresh is delayed or something similar. I do not know if this is the "rolling shutter effect". But I must be definitely fixed or the video image is useless.

Is there any idea to overcome the problem?
Thank you in advance.

I see some lens flare and a little jerking. Lens flare is more or less common but I resolved other issues by upgrading firmware. Are you running at 1080p with EIS enabled? Also, have you upgraded to the latest firmware? Latest release is from 3/6.

i haven't had any issues with mine, so if you are still experiencing issues even after a factory reset / re-flash of firmware using Ambarella tool on PC, then chase it up with the retailer you purchased it from.

Hello and thanks for your reply.
Yes my main video resolution is 1080/60 fps with EIS enabled. But I have tried other modes as well trying to resolve the problem (1080/25, 1080/30, 720/60, EIS = off, etc) but to no avail.
I do not bother with the lens flare effect but with the effect the bottom half of the frame (horizontally) seems to refresh with a lag in respect to the up half of the frame, thus creating a jigsaw artifact.
This appears when a pan the camera left to right (or vice versa) even with a tripod mount.
The cost and time to send the camera back to China for repair is very high (Gearbest refuses a full refund since I purchased the camera with a discount), so either I must solve the problem or through it away and purchase another camera (not Thieye this time). I regret since the colors and sharpness of the image are both excellent (also the build quality seems very good).
I also upgraded to the latest firmware. I also regret that the Thieye support has not been proved much helpful (I would say it ...sucks but I may become unfair). I sent them 2 requests and guess what : I've got no reply at all.

Hello and thanks for your reply.
Yes my main video resolution is 1080/60 fps with EIS enabled. But I have tried other modes as well trying to resolve the problem (1080/25, 1080/30, 720/60, EIS = off, etc) but to no avail.
I do not bother with the lens flare effect but with the effect the bottom half of the frame (horizontally) seems to refresh with a lag in respect to the up half of the frame, thus creating a jigsaw artifact.
This appears when a pan the camera left to right (or vice versa) even with a tripod mount.
The cost and time to send the camera back to China for repair is very high (Gearbest refuses a full refund since I purchased the camera with a discount), so either I must solve the problem or through it away and purchase another camera (not Thieye this time). I regret since the colors and sharpness of the image are both excellent (also the build quality seems very good).
I also upgraded to the latest firmware. I also regret that the Thieye support has not been proved much helpful (I would say it ...sucks but I may become unfair). I sent them 2 requests and guess what : I've got no reply at all.
that's disappointing from both Gearbest and ThiEYE, i really expected more from ThiEYE at least. not sure what can be done unfortunately, do make a YouTube video so that it can be seen what the problem is...i have a rough idea of what you're seeing with the footage.

lens flare effect

Can be caused if the front windscreen is not perfectly clean inside and out.

Front windscreens can be polished to eliminate the finer scratches and even for a small area/FOV for the camera to see correctly.

Last edited:
But this artifacts appear without the water-proof case, so I suppose the windscreen is not the culprit. I will double check though.
Gearbest states in the warranty policy that they do not offer refund for items in discount. However I have not read the warranty agreement until ...yesterday (my fault).
The image flickering and artifacts appears only when I am panning the camera (left to right or vice versa), but what kind of action camera is a camera that requires an absolutely steady scene?
I have not tested the case when the camera is steady and rather an object/figure is moving

Gearbest will work very had to get out of any type of warranty support
Tell me about it. They want videos and pics. How do you video a button that doesn't work? The UP botton has no switch on the circuit board, pretty obvious but hard to prove without disassembly Been 2 weeks since arrived and still they duck shove. Reported within their "3 Day" warranty thing too.

you end up becoming a shareholder once you make a purchase, refund is not in their vocabulary
Actually got a refund once but now they use the "WALLET" thing and they may chuck in a few bonus "GB Points" if you're lucky.

SUNSKY were great, full replacement free with "next order" (fair enough, I spent about $4 on some USB cables and blue GoPro mounts LOL) and no need to return the product. They even phoned me to see if AOK :)

I am also disappointed from GearBest : I do not understand why for a brand new camera I've just received and it is acting up, I have to pay the shipping cost to send it back to GearBest for ...repair.
I only was offered a ...$20 in my wallet as a partial refund (shipping cost to Chine would be more so I had to accept their offer).
I am disappointed also from ThiEye support : simply it does not exist. 3 inquires with link to my sample videos explaining the problem and they just ignored me (or there is no support to receive my e-mail inquires).

I am also disappointed from GearBest : I do not understand why for a brand new camera I've just received and it is acting up, I have to pay the shipping cost to send it back to GearBest for ...repair.
I only was offered a ...$20 in my wallet as a partial refund (shipping cost to Chine would be more so I had to accept their offer).
I am disappointed also from ThiEye support : simply it does not exist. 3 inquires with link to my sample videos explaining the problem and they just ignored me (or there is no support to receive my e-mail inquires).
Hi Argiris,
Same problem. They want their "TECHS" to repair the cam. Ridiculous "So Called" Warranty with GearBest. No way they can repair it without going to ThiEYE for parts. Could take months of stuffing around!

Hi thanks for SUNSKY info, I was not aware of them. GearBest "Warranty" ? From my current experience this is totally misleading. They try to fool us I suppose :-(

Hi thanks for SUNSKY info, I was not aware of them. GearBest "Warranty" ? From my current experience this is totally misleading. They try to fool us I suppose :-(
Your welcome. I searched ThiEYE and nothing came up BUT it has a request box where you can suggest why they should stock the product at Sunsky!
Claire phoned and I thought it was a prank call! Tiny, soft woman's voice at 10pm awful connection hard to hear, but good of them to respond at all. Amazing. I sent email apologizing about my reaction and confirmed "her English was very good" because I said "I am speaking English!" misunderstanding her question haha ooops. They emailed back saying "Thanks for kind comments etc"
Their ordering system is very detailed and flexible, you can edit easily too!

GearBest. It's all "copy and paste" answers. They never read your problem properly. I gave order number and full details and they responded "Please supply order number etc" What? I had it all listed in detail in comment above. Hopeless.
Yes, they just throw off, maybe give a few "Wallet" dollars but never a refund that I know of (other than my "lost in post" full refund of a $27 order), hoping you will eventually give up out of frustration.

Buy action camera on Amazon is more to guarantee. ;)

But this artifacts appear without the water-proof case, so I suppose the windscreen is not the culprit. I will double check though.
Gearbest states in the warranty policy that they do not offer refund for items in discount. However I have not read the warranty agreement until ...yesterday (my fault).
The image flickering and artifacts appears only when I am panning the camera (left to right or vice versa), but what kind of action camera is a camera that requires an absolutely steady scene?
I have not tested the case when the camera is steady and rather an object/figure is moving
I applied "Warranty" from GearBest. still having problems getting any refund. Used "3 day" warranty D.O.A. but they just do not do anything. I can see a partial refund, maybe $30 or $40 dollars at best in "Wallet" to spend on something else and stuck with faulty camera.

Buy action camera on Amazon is more to guarantee. ;)
Thanks Tipeye but sadly Amazon do not ship to Australia. tried all Amazon links USA, Canada, Germany, Italy etc.

Hi Argiris,
Same problem. They want their "TECHS" to repair the cam. Ridiculous "So Called" Warranty with GearBest. No way they can repair it without going to ThiEYE for parts. Could take months of stuffing around!
Re-package and send it to some other unsuspecting buyer?

Back