Motorcycle and SUV crash at Intersection

Biker didn't help trying to get through at warp speed

Biker didn't help trying to get through at warp speed

Speed difficult to judge and often looks faster on video, but based on several reviews comparing the rate of other vehicles the motorcycle's speed didn't help the situation.

While I don't ride, this accident appears typical faced by motorcyclists as well as my fellow bicyclists. Automobile drivers often don't see or respect motorcycles and bicycles as vehicles with the same right of way as cars. The CRV turned left in front of the motorcycle. Two lives ruined.

People venturing out into traffic in just a bicycle or a motorcycle use to be ranked as brave people in my book, but nowadays when people in +4 wheeled vehicles do so much more than what they are supposed to do while driving, then i will have to find some new category for those people.

I am not even sure i would dare to jump on a bicycle and venture out into traffic, at least not on the roads here in Denmark that dont have a dedicated bicycle path raised and to the side of the road.
But driving in my car i see plenty of cyclists that seemingly have no care in the world, even cycling on the middle of the road ( not legal )
Some idiot driving along while liking pictures of cupcakes on facetwitt will just mow down such people, and that might even happen if they stay to the far right of the road or in the bad cases even up on the bicycle path.

Not long ago a guy was mowed down that way on the bicycle path, and it was the wrong side bicycle path ( left hand side ), so that car first changed into oncoming traffic / lane, then crossed further over to mow down cyclist and killing him.

Now this dont look like much but really why endanger yourself riding side by side and so one being in the middle of the road, it is just asking for trouble and its not legal.

Where I live is in the sticks we have a few "professional" cycling clubs 1 club who ride in a group of around 50 take up the whole width of the road and often stray onto other side, they also stop on sharp blind narrow corners, I am talking b class roads which have a 60mph limit lots have been hit some killed but they also hold their speed trials on these roads and a small section of 70mph dual carriageway parking half on verge half on live lane, and these are supposed to be professionals. There's no end of biker deaths here last big one was biker who hit car whilst doing 93mph, this was AFTER he had scrubbed speed off, through a very very busy intersection at the bottom of a dip, the car driver turning across his path had no chance to see him, dark coloured bike at higher elevation not even headlight on, the local Honda/Triumph dealership attracts lot of organ donors, sorry bikers driving like retarded morons wheeleys on wrong side of road into oncoming traffic are faves of them, though one of the m/bike clubs are very sensible it's mainly young bikers in this group I find the born again bikers the worst, foreign drivers abound here and they leave a lot to be desired, hell they even make my sis in law look good

hehe a few years back a group of cyclists like that was mowed down here by a guy in a car, several was killed as i recall.

Make me wonder why the pedal pushers cant see the unsafe part of them taking up the whole road where people do 80 km/h and they pedal along at 30.
And it compound the problem when the road is a bumpy one with turns too, so at several times you just cant see the 25 or so people and then you go over a hill top and BAM ! there they are.

CRVs aren't the heaviest of cars but for a bike to spin the CRV through 90 degrees is still surprising, even more surprising that he is still alive!

Since it was a junction with lights, stopped cars, turning cars, pedestrian crossings etc, I reckon that was mainly the bikers fault for excessive speed. At a sensible speed he would have had a chance to put his brakes on!

If that junction was here then one of them would have gone through a red light, but in the USA people are allowed to drive through red lights anyway.

There's no end of biker deaths here last big one was biker who hit car whilst doing 93mph, this was AFTER he had scrubbed speed off...
What part of the country is that? Most of the bikers around here seem to have killed themselves, it's no longer a problem!

...but in the USA people are allowed to drive through red lights anyway....
1) This happened in Canada not the USA
2) Proceeding on a right light in the USA (and I'm pretty sure Canada as well) is very limited - usually right turns only (or left turns if going from a one-way street onto a one-way street).
3) Even if the bike was speeding it was still the CRV driver's responsibility to insure it was safe to proceed across traffic lanes if oncoming traffic had a green light. The bike's speed may have been a contributing factor but primary responsibility still lies with the CRV driver.

3) Even if the bike was speeding it was still the CRV driver's responsibility to insure it was safe to proceed across traffic lanes if oncoming traffic had a green light. The bike's speed may have been a contributing factor but primary responsibility still lies with the CRV driver.
There has to be a limit on that, if the bike had been going 200mph would it still be the car drivers fault?

There has to be a limit on that, if the bike had been going 200mph would it still be the car drivers fault?
If the bike had been going 200mph it would have been through the intersection before the CRV moved. If it had been going 186,000 miles per second nobody would have seen it. :rolleyes:

I cant remember the car brand, but a guy i knew once tried to drive his 900 bol d or ( tuned ) thru a car impacting the side with a estimated 200 km/h ( in town )
He dident succeed in that, and he landed in several pieces down the road ( wearing jeans only as he was one hell of a sob bad ass biker :rolleyes: )
i have heard even if you are wearing leathers, impacts in that category just mean your leathers are a vessel for the gooey remains of you, but you should be safe from going into several pieces.
I saw the red torrent in the gutter as the fire department hosed down the street :eek:

Nigel, that was on the A47 in Norfolk, put BIKER DIES A47 it was a guy called David Holmes, I know this junction very well using it nearly every day it is a notorious accident spot, really should be 40mph imo, I live in a small town not too far away and despite my bad memory can recall instantly 3-4 deaths, but each of these involved NO OTHER VEHICLE just some one doing it all themselves.

Nigel, that was on the A47 in Norfolk, put BIKER DIES A47 it was a guy called David Holmes, I know this junction very well using it nearly every day it is a notorious accident spot, really should be 40mph imo, I live in a small town not too far away and despite my bad memory can recall instantly 3-4 deaths, but each of these involved NO OTHER VEHICLE just some one doing it all themselves.
Yes, that was one where both drivers could easily have avoided the accident, and where the motorcyclist did actually drive through the car!
1 less dangerous motorcyclist on the roads.

Speaking at yesterday’s inquest, PC Graham Brooks said both motorists would have been in each other’s available view for seven seconds before impact.

PC Brooks said: “The average speed of the motorcycle was almost 97 miles an hour, well above the 60 mile per hour limit.”
image.jpg

Last edited:
Some car drivers are good , yet others are **** ...
Part of the problem is the Gooberment , refusing to upskill rubbish drivers ..

Nobody faultless here, but the car driver willingly moved their vehicle into the path of an oncoming vehicle which other people with their same perspective easily saw according to the police report. It seems clear to me that the car driver bears most of the fault here while the biker should have made more allowance for the possibility of things going wrong.

I do hope the vid will educate others and save lives as is intended. It should be required viewing for all vehicle operators.

Phil

Nobody faultless here, but the car driver willingly moved their vehicle into the path of an oncoming vehicle which other people with their same perspective easily saw according to the police report. It seems clear to me that the car driver bears most of the fault here while the biker should have made more allowance for the possibility of things going wrong.

I do hope the vid will educate others and save lives as is intended. It should be required viewing for all vehicle operators.

Phil
It was the car driver that made the main mistake, but people make mistakes, it's normal. If I'm driving through a junction like that in my car in the same way the motorcyclist was then I will slow down to around 50mph because at 60 if someone makes a mistake you don't have time to avoid a serious, possibly fatal accident, at 50 you have time to turn it into a minor accident and at 40 you can almost certainly avoid it completely. When you are doing 100 like the motorcyclist you haven't got a chance to even put the brakes on, so in my view the fault was mainly with the motorcyclist, it was him that was doing something unusual and almost all accidents are caused by people doing unusual things, had he been doing a legal speed then the accident almost certainly would not have happened. He knew he was taking risks and he knew the possible consequences so he should take most of the blame.

Sawmaster,
I disagree, for anyone familiar with this junction knows the junction is at the bottom of a long dip each side so eyes not looking up and certainly not expecting some idiot doing the ton with not even his light on, remembering most bikes are less than 2 feet wide now travelling at 100mph a dark bike blending into dark surrounds(trees/bushes) no lights on, he was well used to this junction, nearby are a few industrial estates where semi's pull out/in at this junction indeed some are purposely routed this way away from smaller roads with 3.5T weight limit though some semi drivers don't seem to know what these signs mean.
Either way it's sad for rider and for those left behind.

Well placing the percentage of blame is something of a moot point but I wonder if you'd feel the same way if this were 2 cars instead? Or a truck instead of a bike with the car driver dying instead? If those change your answer then you might want to reconsider your thinking ;)

One of the lessons I learned while I was riding was to act as if half the people wouldn't see me and that the the half didn't care :eek: That one concept alone saved my hide numerous times each day. Bikes are hard to see and even moreso when most people aren't looking for them which many drivers aren't :( Regardless that, it is still the responsibility of all drivers to look for and see any and all dangers, and to never place their vehicle where they cannot know positively that this will be a safe thing to do. That requires looking, seeing, and thinking before moving of which the car driver obviously failed at least the first 2 of those. Would such a car driver as this look for and see a small child wandering into their path if they can't see something much larger like a motorcycle? Hmmm- makes you wonder, doesn't it. Especially if it was your child :cry: The biker was acting somewhat suicidally with the excess speed which most certainly did amplify the consequences of the crash, but I'm fairly certain it would have occurred had he been going half that fast simply because the car driver failed to look and see before moving. Remember- several other drivers there clearly saw the bike approaching so why didn't this one?
Hard to see, maybe but not impossible :whistle:

The sad fact is that the vast majority of vehicle operators are not paying adequate attention to their driving and the situation around them. Driving as safely as is possible almost always takes nearly 100% of your attention (and more would be welcome if it were possible). Rare is the crash where the true basic cause was not at least one person paying inadequate attention, and because that is preventable I now call them "crashes", not "accidents", because they aren't accidental at all :mad: They are crashes, usually unintended ones, and usually caused by at least one persons intentional but errant actions.

Operating any motor vehicle safely isn't easy to do yet we must all do that to the best of our abilities or we get sad results like this which nobody wants.

Phil

It is a lot easier to see a larger object, especially at speed, you really do need to know this junction, it takes around 50-60 feet from "waiting" area to clear this road junction, remembering the car is starting from a standstill on what is a bad road surface, I would say from personal experience 4-5 seconds to clear road completely.
Bikes with no lights on are very hard to see even when moving at sensible speed in a straight line especially when said 2 feet wide bullet, sorry bike is doing 100mph, bikes don't stop any where near as quick as cars I slow down to 45mph through here and open the gap in front of me before getting there allowing waiting cars to get out, and that's in mpv, it's stupid having a 60mph limit here, there's a r/a just up the road from here that used to be a serious accident black spot as well but now has roundabout, much safer

I was just washing my car and witnessed a drug handover behind the car wash, dont take a brainiac to figure out what was going on when the guy on MTB was leaning half way in the car window and upon getting out putting something in the pocket, and then the BMW ( off course ) and the MTB driver split ways.
Only for the MTB driver to go 20 M to the place where you vacuum your car to inspect what he had just paid for.

I know it takes one to know one ( often ) and sadly i wasted parts of my life being that kind of lowlife :oops:

I think most Danes are stoned out if their mind most of the time by the amount of legal and illegal drugs consumed here :p

Back