Blackvue DR650GW-2CH _ (Custom firmware)

Thinkware F750 is quite good at night also with Sony sensors. Bitrate 10Mbps front and 8Mbps rear. They have a new F770 released soon. If you switch from Blackvue DR650 to Thinkware you will find the Blackvue to be better in almost every way except the bitrate. Example is when Wifi is on the thinkware stops recording, wifi streaming video onto phone is slower than the blackvue.

@idmonius I would revert the camera back to V1.009 firmware if I were you - may just have to put up with the poor night time recording

@idmonius I would revert the camera back to V1.009 firmware if I were you - may just have to put up with the poor night time recording

Can I download v1.009 from the Blackvue website, format the card and put the folder on the card and then start the camera to install it? Will it downgrade that easily? Or is there a certain order of versions to downgrade from?

Right now I'm on 2.003 - Custom firmware 1.5

Note down what settings you've configured.
Format an SDCard FAT32 (not ExFAT or any other format)
Download the firmware version you want.
Extract it and copy the "BlackVue" folder to the blank SDCard.
Insert SDCard into BlackVue and start it up. It should automatically upgrade or downgrade the firmware to the version on the SDCard. Make sure there is constant power to the device as it takes a minute or two and requires a reboot or two of the dashcam.
You'll now have to put in all settings again.

Edit: If going from 2.x to 1.x or 1.x to 2.x I'd suggest re-entering all settings manually as they're rather different. If going 2.x to 2.x or 1.x to 1.x, you can copy SDCARD:\Blackvue\config\config.ini to your computer as a backup, then back on to the SDCard with the updated/new firmware. This way your settings carry over.

Last edited:
Is there a custom firmware for the DR650S model?
And how is the .sue checksum file generated? It appears to be a 12-byte (96-bit) signature/hash, but I cannot find any documentation on what algorithm is used to generate it.

Is there a custom firmware for the DR650S model?
And how is the .sue checksum file generated? It appears to be a 12-byte (96-bit) signature/hash, but I cannot find any documentation on what algorithm is used to generate it.

Yeah i would like to know that too and is the custom firmware made from 1.012 firmware base source code or is it totally custom? What is the cost? I don't read russian so can't use that russian forum.

@alexsoll said he has: "We made a custom firmware for Blackvue DR650GW-2CH with support wdr, bitrate, etc.
Started testing. "

I would think source code fro DR650S is very similar. I have IR rear camera so wondering even if this would even work and what the cost is if there is such a thing. I wouldn't want to brick it either if his firmware does not work with IR rear camera either.
Better ask then be sorry

Back