Heat resistant, no frills, and good resolution?

75Gremlin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have reviewed older forum posts and the forum 'what to buy sticky'

I live in southern AZ, so it needs to be heat resistant. Not looking for features such as GPS, WiFi, etc. Would like to put the money toward a simple, reliable unit with good resolution. Good night time video would be a bonus. In other words not looking for "bells and whistles" in order to not get the more/most expensive units.

Ease of use would be another consideration. If it is complicated to set up, download video, etc, that would tend to lead me to not use the dashcam.

I'm looking at the Lukas 7900 series (7900, 7950...). The 7900 ACE seems more basic than the newer Lukas models, but they appear to be out of stock right now. One of the criticisms is that the user interface of the Lukas isn't good and the instructions (translation to English from Korean? Taiwanese) are poor.

Another unit considered is the VIOFO A119.

I'd like additional input from all you experts out there on what models I should consider before purchasing. I know there are new models coming to the market all the time, so let me know if there are better units available than the older ones I'm considering.

Thanks!

The A119 is pretty reliable, and is getting software updates periodically. Downloading video is fairly simple from most dashcams, as long as you stay 'old school', and either remove the card from the cam to read it on your computer, or access the cam as an external storage device.
The 'wifi' stuff just doesn't work well enough to bother with. (with the exception of some novelty uses)
I have several cams with GPS, but usually don't bother to try to access the GPS files. Don't let GPS be a deterrent, or really much of a plus in dash cam selection.

( I owe Gabacho a taco...)
;)

-a-tasty-taco.jpg

(it might have been nibbled on by the time you get it, though....)

So that's why the say spicy food will keep you up all night, in this case i am onboard with it.

Muy caliente :love:

Back OT.
While i am a old Lukas man i would not bother with the models you have been eyeballing, they are all old by now and only have about half of the bitrate they should have.
The A119S are a good option, and i think it should be able to cope with the heat of southern AZ

Another choice might be the B1W. It's a new cam but does need a wifi app to set up as it has no screen. The WR-1 is similar in operation but with better vids. A119 is great daytime and good at night, A119S better at night and good daytime. Mobius is another no-screen cam but with caps fitted is probably the most heat-tolerant cam you can get. Uses a PC-based app. Old tech but good or better daytime, fair to poor at night.

Phil

At Sawmaster, I just checked out the Blueskysea B1W Dash Cam you recommended. Appears to be heat resistant and have a capacitor. Seems like a good deal for a price under sixty bucks. What is the catch? Does Blueskysea make decent quality products that will last?

thanks

The Vava is pretty new- not enough info on it in actual use yet to have an opinion but in your location super-caps are mandatory. Hotter there than here and I have had battery problems with the heat here. Jokin won't mention his own products directly but his Street Guardian cams are most excellent and do very well in hotter climates. Not cheap but worth their cost ;)

Just saw your post above. I'm testing a B1W ATM which was a freebie, but in all honesty I think it's excellent for what it is so far. Better vids than the lowish bitrate would seem to indicate, but won't match some of the more expensive cams. It's too new for me to comment on long-term reliability and heat tolerance but so far so good with this one. Maybe the best cam in it's price range overall and new firmware is being developed and tested to improve it. Hard to beat for a basic cam if you like it's vid quality :D

Phil

The Vava is pretty new- not enough info on it in actual use yet to have an opinion but in your location super-caps are mandatory.

battery aside I think one of the shortcomings with the Vava is the mount, it vibrates too easily which causes problems with picture quality

I'm guessing there is no detent or some way to help you realize the cam is centered on the Vava? Rotate it for some reason, and you need to get the smartphone out to check the aiming? The battery thing would appeal to me more if it were an easily replaceable unit by the consumer. Like an 18650?

Gremlin, get a decent starter cam, and you can always use it as a rear cam, later. (I hope not on on an AMC Gremlin)
:)

I laugh because a new Gremlin was the 'punishment car' the parents of a rich kid I knew bought him when he wrecked his new 914 Porsche.

Life is tough.

:)

@ Dash

I had a 75 Gremlin as my first car. Liked it because 'third class driving beat first class walking' (at least over long distances). ;.) They weren't the best cars, that's for sure.

Good idea getting a starter cam to use in the rear later. Up to now, the B1W suggested above seems like a good starter and good bang for the buck, but I haven't quite decided.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any reason to pick the A119 over the B1W?

I'm a newbie, so I'm getting educated on this forum. I'll probably graduate to something like the Street Guardian for the front.

Everyone has been helpful here, I really appreciate it.

@SawMaster

What is the difference between the B1W ATM & Blueskysea B1W? I tried searching for B1W ATM but didn't find anything.

@SawMaster re the B1W

Is it easy to remove from the mounting bracket in order to deter vandalism? or does the bracket mechanism seem like it wont hold up to removing and reinstalling the unit over the long run?

Do most people leave dash cams in place when not driving or do they remove the dash cam?

Back