AV Out Jack

Rocket_Scientist

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119, VIOFO A119P
There is no info in the Quick Start Guide & nothing is found by searching this forum.
1. What is a compatible plug/cable? It looks like a 3.5mm mini jack.
2. Is it live all the time or does it only output when in Play Mode?
3. Is it video only with no audio?

Would this be a compatible connector/cable?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182942172432

Thank you for the link. The Viofo response is what I was looking for. 5Cowbells responses are right on target.

I'll detail this more for anyone else that may come along:
41hxdd5kzol-jpg.25936

Check from left:

1 for audio left channel
2 for audio right channel
3 for video
4 for ground.

Traditional nomenclature from 100+ years ago (telephone switchboards of the 20th century), which would be only 1 & 2/3/4 together would be Tip & Ring, so now we have the TRSS connector.
1. Tip
2. Ring
3. Ring
4. Sleeve

It appears there is no standard & pinouts are mostly arbitrary & intentionally made different.
http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Conclusion: Viofo will have to supply the cable according to their pinout, which may or may not conform to any others.
I wonder why they put it there without offering a cable?

Conclusion: Viofo will have to supply the cable according to their pinout, which may or may not conform to any others.
most cables will be fine as the ground is normally used for the sleeve regardless, it may just alter which lead does which function so the colours may not match what you expect, not a big deal to sort out though

I wonder why they put it there without offering a cable?

from having done cameras with AV out I can tell you the uptake rate of people that want to use the function is about 1% which makes it hard to justify making a special cable

most cables will be fine as the ground is normally used for the sleeve regardless, it may just alter which lead does which function so the colours may not match what you expect, not a big deal to sort out though
If the video & ground are swapped, it's not going to work. The ground has no color, so the issue has nothing to do with colors.

from having done cameras with AV out I can tell you the uptake rate of people that want to use the function is about 1% which makes it hard to justify making a special cable
If that were true, why would they put the AV jack on there at all? They don't incorporate features that nobody wants because it costs money to do so.

There's lots of features that are added which aren't of much use but people still judge things based on feature lists whether they are useful or not

Not all cables are the same as there's no real standard but there's not a lot of variety either and not too hard to find a cable that can be made to work

Read the link I provided. Have you ever tried to modify a molded cable? It's not so simple.
I could modify a molded cable if the ground/shield were not involved because doing so would eliminate any shielding.
I could fabricate a cable but that's just too much trouble.
I know there are no standards, I used to work for NEMA, they didn't do cables, but just about everything else electrical, not electronic.
If it's not too hard, why don't you find one?

not suggesting you should modify a cable, just there are only a few common types used, the outputs might not be colour coded correctly, audio could be video etc but finding one that works is not impossible, others have posted previously about cheap cables they've bought that worked for them

Here's the specs on a cheap one. Do you think this is compatible?
It is compatible with most MiniDV and Digital8 camcorders made by Sony, Canon, JVC, Samsung, Panasonic and Sharp. It also works with many Hi8 camcorders and Sony Cybershot/Mavica digital cameras, although most are only capable of outputting monaural audio.
s-l1600.jpg

no idea, some others have posted links previously to cables they've used, if you don't want to go through the trial and error process to find one that's compatible maybe search through previous posts and see if you can find the details, save you ordering something that might not work

Searching this forum results in everything but the AV out because...
The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: AV, out
Therefore, search function is useless. "...too short, too long, or too common" covers everything.
Google does a better job, but nothing is definitive.
5Cowbells says: Apple iBook av cable
Googling this for pinout. I can confirm that he is correct. iPod cable has ground & video reversed.
iBook cable is not so cheap, 10x more for even a non-Apple brand.
Only issue now is my video input device 3.5mm jack is unknown pinout but I can open it up & modify if necessary.
I'll buy 2 cheap cables & modify them.
58420576_89d4e11534_o.jpg

Last edited:
It is compatible with most MiniDV and Digital8 camcorders made by Sony, Canon, JVC, Samsung, Panasonic and Sharp. It also works with many Hi8 camcorders and Sony Cybershot/Mavica digital cameras, although most are only capable of outputting monaural audio.
See the following website: http://pinoutguide.com/Home/av_jack_pinout.shtml. The wiring needs to be like that on the far right side of the diagram, which matches the wiring here in this post: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/video-cable.21275/#post-298099. The 3.5mm plug pin 4 (next to the back-shell) should be wired to connect to the RCA plug connector coaxial shields (outer connection). Apple iBook AV cable is wired correctly but the genuine Apple cable mechanically doesn't fit the depression around A119 3.5 mm jack (back-shell is too big). I purchased one and it works, but I had to file down the back-shell to fit the depression on the A119 (see photo below).
IMG_1954.JPG
Any similar cable will work provided that the 3.5mm plug pin 4 is wired to the shields of the RCA plug connectors (outer connection). You can check continuity between the 3.5mm plug pins and the RCA plug connector pins with an ohm meter to determine which signal is which, then mark the RCA connectors appropriately.
Only issue now is my video input device 3.5mm jack is unknown pinout but I can open it up & modify if necessary.
As for the input device, if RCA jacks are used at the input, you can usually go by the color codes. Otherwise, look at your device manual, the manufacturer may offer a cable as an accessory that terminates in color coded RCA Jacks.

I found your cable on eBay for $10; new old stock.
Also found an Apple copy for a little less & it requires no trimming.
Gold plated on both ends.
s-l1600.jpg

I just hate paying $10 for a $1 cable, just because it's Apple.
I've trimmed molding on backshells before; slice them with a razor blade if rubber, file if hard plastic.
The 2nd post here gave a link to your thread. I read it.
I understand grounding & shielding, designed systems for a living.
Many manufacturers & teachers get it all wrong; it's not so simple. It's an art & a science.

The input device is a 7" Viore portable HDTV with 3.5mm input jacks. The Li-Ion polymer battery lasted a little over 1 year, won't hold a charge for 1 sec.
Useless as a portable TV. Power input is 12VDC. I opened it up, video & audio input jacks are separate, TRS (not TRRS).
89-532-006-06.jpg

Since it's video only, have yet to determine pinout input.
Might get video to work with an audio TRS to RCA cable I have now.
trrs-diagram1.jpg

Last edited:
The input device is a 7" Viore portable HDTV with 3.5mm input jacks. The Li-Ion polymer battery lasted a little over 1 year, won't hold a charge for 1 sec.
Useless as a portable TV. Power input is 12VDC. I opened it up, video & audio input jacks are separate, TRS (not TRRS).
Sounds like you have a handle on the cable(s). By the way the A119 audio is monophonic, not stereo. Also you may need to know that the A119 can output either the NTSC (North America) or PAL analog composite video format standard, but many TVs these days accept either input automatically. Set the A119 "Frequency" menu setting to 60Hz for NTSC output or 50Hz for PAL output.

I had 2 audio cables, used the video/audio output from a digital converter box because it was handy.
Wanted to see if I could get the 7" HDTV to see the audio and/or video inputs which are separate jacks.
Need both cables plugged in simultaneously to get audio. Only need the video plugged in to get video.
It weird, but doesn't matter, as long as it works.
I now have to find a replacement for my vintage stereo output (serves as home theater) to HDTV input, because it's now one of the audio cables.
Now I have the TV input cables; I found an Apple iBook cable locally at a surplus parts place for $2.95. He has 66 in stock, will get it Monday.
It wasn't in his catalog, but online. Found it when was trying to find a replacement audio cable, which is out of stock.
I have plenty of RCA patch cables to make it longer.
32188.jpg

Description:
Audio/Video adapter cable for some Apple book,Nokia equipment. Standard Red,Yellow & White RCA Jacks one one end. 3.5mm TRRS plug on the other.
Wired:
Sleeve=Ground,
Ring 2 (next to Sleeve)=Yellow Video
Ring 1(next to Tip)=White Audio 1
TIP=Red Audio 2
L: 8in.

Sounds like you have a handle on the cable(s). By the way the A119 audio is monophonic, not stereo. Also you may need to know that the A119 can output either the NTSC (North America) or PAL analog composite video format standard, but many TVs these days accept either input automatically. Set the A119 "Frequency" menu setting to 60Hz for NTSC output or 50Hz for PAL output.
FYI - the 50/60hz setting in the camera has nothing to do with the av out jack. it has to do with the refresh rate of the video sensor itself - it adjusts the "rolling shutter" so that you won't get (as much) flicker from street lights and other lights powered by AC, whether 110 or 220. you set it to match your local power frequency.

unfortunately this has no effect on automotive LEDs - they'll flicker no matter what you set it to.

FYI - the 50/60hz setting in the camera has nothing to do with the av out jack.
Actually it does. I have proven that as I have an NTSC only TV. Originally before A119 Firmware version 2.0, the A119 AV output the PAL format only and the 50/60 Hz setting didn't seem to do anything for me. I got a picture but it was black and white, had about 10-15% or the picture chopped off at the bottom, and on a second TV I had, the picture rolled uncontrollably and the TV has no roll control. That got fixed with firmware A119 version 2.0 and Viofo uses the "Frequency" menu selection to change the composite video output format between NTSC (60Hz) and PAL (50Hz).

IMG_0283.JPG
Frequency 60Hz

IMG_0293.JPG
Frequency 50Hz

AV cable works perfectly. Have to replace the audio one I took from other equipment.
This setup is only for viewing while in the vehicle. 2" Viofo screen isn't much good during the day

Actually it does. I have proven that as I have an NTSC only TV. Originally before A119 Firmware version 2.0, the A119 AV output the PAL format only and the 50/60 Hz setting didn't seem to do anything for me. I got a picture but it was black and white, had about 10-15% or the picture chopped off at the bottom, and on a second TV I had, the picture rolled uncontrollably and the TV has no roll control. That got fixed with firmware A119 version 2.0 and Viofo uses the "Frequency" menu selection to change the composite video output format between NTSC (60Hz) and PAL (50Hz).

View attachment 35173
Frequency 60Hz

View attachment 35174
Frequency 50Hz
Ok then I stand corrected. The way I described is how it's worked in the past on other cameras including the a118 (predecessor to a119)

Ok then I stand corrected. The way I described is how it's worked in the past on other cameras including the a118 (predecessor to a119)
I'm not saying it doesn't also do what you said, only that one of the functions of the "Frequency" menu setting is to control the video signal format of the AV output. But I haven't noted or tested for any differences otherwise.

Back