Aukey DR-02 lightning deal (A119 vs DR-02)

It’s been raining non-stop around here so been hard to get some good video, but these pictures say lots.

Both at 1080p/30; WDR Off.

One comes with free hot pixels. Even the Waffle House staff couldn’t give me those for $$$. (“Sir, is you wantin’ some hawt grits? Or what the heck do you want.”)

1454BEC0-C843-4241-8DAC-9133000D1DA9.jpeg E92A4A4C-E619-4F03-B014-8791C5DAA5A6.jpeg

Last edited:
DR-02 is on Black Friday lightning deal in the UK tomorrow morning :)

It’s been raining non-stop around here so been hard to get some good video, but these pictures say lots.

Both at 1080p/30; WDR Off.

One comes with free hot pixels. Even the Waffle House staff couldn’t give me those for $$$. (“Sir, is you wantin’ some hawt grits? Or what the heck do you want.”)

View attachment 34207View attachment 34206

Just looking at the details of the parking lot in front, the Aukey looks better. The colors even look better. The Viofo looks like it has a yellowish tint, and the fisheye effect is more apparent throughout the picture. By comparison, the fisheye effect is barely noticeable on the Aukey.

Glad I went with the Aukey yesterday.

Does the aukey dr 02 uses capacitor?

Does it support the same dashcam mount as the viofo? Because I usually just use the suction cup with the dashcam mount and not the 3m stickers

Does the aukey dr 02 uses capacitor?

Does it support the same dashcam mount as the viofo? Because I usually just use the suction cup with the dashcam mount and not the 3m stickers

Yes.

I stated previously that they don't use the same processor and sensor that we use which is what was suggested, as I said it is different, we do not use the IMX323 in the GC, we use a different model

Jokin, don't take this as personal as I'm not having a go at YOU here. I also know this particular post is an older one.

However, one thing that really irks me is when manufacturers try to hide the spec of their product. It's totally pointless and just sticks two fingers to enthusiasts who want to maybe select a product based on hardware. At the end of the day, the only people interested in the exact components used are either enthusiasts or other manufacturers. Enthusiasts are only a small group and are likely to buy via spec or peer reviews and so hiding the specs is unlikely to have a positive effect on sales, and may well prove negative, as very few enthusiasts want to buy an unknown entity.

As for other manufacturers who might be competition, it's again pointless. If any manufacturer really wants to find out whats in a camera which doesn't state the specs, they'll buy one and open it. If the OEM has been sneeky and used solvent to remove the chipset printing or has obtained un-printed chipsets, then they're likely to interrogate the chip electronically. If that doesn't work, then they're probably going to uncap it and examine it under a microscope.

My point is hiding your specs achieves nothing other than upsetting the enthusiast purchaser who wants to be able to make a quick comparison or buy cameras for review based on spec. Any rival manufacturer that wants to find out the specs is going to be able to do so whether you list them or not. So why hide them? Why not just be upfront as a company and like Aukey state the processor and chipset used. You're not giving away any info rivals can't get anyway and on the positive side, you're keeping enthusiasts or knowledgeable members of the wider public happy by making it much easier for them to compare your camera to others.

they'll buy one and open it. If the OEM has been sneeky and used solvent to remove the chipset printing or has obtained un-printed chipsets,

I've seen a few brands that reprint the chipsets with fake logos, some remove the logos or cover them up

My point is hiding your specs achieves nothing other than upsetting the enthusiast purchaser who wants to be able to make a quick comparison or buy cameras for review based on spec. Any rival manufacturer that wants to find out the specs is going to be able to do so whether you list them or not. So why hide them? .

not sure what you're referring to, we don't hide our specs, they're listed on our website, I don't really have an issue with those that do hide their spec for whatever reason if that's what they prefer to do, I do have an issue with those that lie about the spec though, there's some bigger brands that have been guilty of that

not sure what you're referring to, we don't hide our specs, they're listed on our website, I don't really have an issue with those that do hide their spec for whatever reason if that's what they prefer to do, I do have an issue with those that lie about the spec though, there's some bigger brands that have been guilty of that

As I said above, I'm not having a go at you. However, above you seemed very evasive in actually stating what the difference is between your cam and the DR02 cam when it comes to processor and sensor. If they're not the same, why not just (as a manufacturer) say so? eg. No they're not the same, the DR02 uses the IMX323 and Novatek NT96655 chipset whereas our cam uses the IMX XXX and XXX XXX Chipset....

So it's a Sony EXMOR IMX322 with a NOVATEK 96655 PROCESSOR.

Wonder if the reluctance could be the fact that Aukey use a sensor 1 model number up from your SG9665 v3 cam with the same processor? Either way, as I said, as a manufacturer just post it. People will judge on each cameras on it's own merits. I think most people on here realise there's more to a camera than pure sensor and processor spec. It's just a starting point for comparison.

To be fair as well, the SGGCX2 is probably a better comparison in this thread as sensor and processor (and even camera body format) are all very similar.

Last edited:
People will judge on each cameras on it's own merits. .

I think that's good advice, I can tell you all our specifications we list are accurate, you can't be sure of that from some other brands so you might not be making the comparison you think you're making, better to judge the actual result, regardless of what someone wants to print on the box

anyone know what is the power consumption of the cam during front + rear recording? thinking of hook the cam to a portable battery pack. thanks in advance

For those interested in an update on the DR02’s functionality after 1.25 years of usage.

I bought two of these things in late 2017 for $52 each and I have them both front-facing on my main car (one for backup/redundancy) along with a rear-facing Mobius (running strong 5+ years now) with a modified lens.

In short, both DR02s have performed flawlessly. I have never experienced any blips, bloops, fails, crashes, non-starts or other unpleasantries. Both cameras have functioned as reliably as one could hope. It’s truly been a “set it and forget it” experience. This is particularly notable as, unlike most dashcam manufacturers, Aukey doesn’t do any firmware updates. You get what you get at purchase and that’s that. So far, that has not posed a single problem whatsoever. I find that quite fascinating in a landscape full of constant updates and rollbacks.

The only issue I have (and this came on about 1 month from purchase) is that the audio/video output port for one of the cams stopped working. I’m assuming it got dislodged/disconnected internally somehow, but it hasn’t been a huge deal. I have the other DR02 and the Mobius connected to my car Nav, so it hasn’t been a big deal not to have that one as it serves backup duty. But, it is good to know that I still have some time for exchange with their 2 year warranty.

So, for me, both of these cams have performed as well as I could have hoped, particularly given their ridiculously cheap prices.

Thank you OP for your initial review and latest update, I just got DR02 today on another amazon lightning deal and your review brings me peace of mind.
I know there are new cams with newer hardware since the DR02 release but it still looking a good deal @ $53 specially considering dashcam prices are overinflated compared to one or two years ago.

Thank you OP for your initial review and latest update, I just got DR02 today on another amazon lightning deal and your review brings me peace of mind.
I know there are new cams with newer hardware since the DR02 release but it still looking a good deal @ $53 specially considering dashcam prices are overinflated compared to one or two years ago.

Happy to share my experience. I think it’s a no-brainer, specifically because of the price point and warranty, As the warranty is uniquely tied to Amazon, I kinda see it as an Amazon warranty, i.e. if. you have a problem with the cam, claim your replacement, and if you get any flack from Aukey, get Amazon involved and, assuming you have no crazy red flags, you’ll find that’ll settle it quickly (have no reason to believe you would have to go through all that, just saying).

Anyone had any problems with theirs turning on / staying on?

After only a few months of it being installed mine will no longer turn on reliably, sometimes takes 5 minutes to come on, sometimes never. Often shuts off right after. I tested the power source and it is solid, tested with another camera its its good.
My guess is that its a bad capacitor.

Aukey support has been solid in the past for me so hopefully they come through with a quick easy replacement

Back