long term recording with power banks.

PandaEd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there any dashcams/power bank combination that can record for 2-3 days on motion or impact mode. I live in an apartment building with a shared underground garage and I have a neighbor that is dinging my door constantly.(talking to them is not an option cause I have already done so and more dents have occurred after) I'm currently running a blackvue DR650S-2CH along with cellink B but with a full charge, it only last about 22 hours of parking mode motion detection recording. I'm looking for a low power drawing dashcam that has parking mode combined with power banks that I can charge at home and swap out every 2-3 days, so it can be mounted on my door so its pointed at my neighbor's car to catch any door dents they will cause in the future. Any recommendations would great, however, I am not trying to spend more than 300 dollars.

power consumption doesn't vary much, longer battery life is needed, you then need to think about how much memory capacity you have though and if anything of interest will be overwritten before you get a chance to view it

power consumption doesn't vary much, longer battery life is needed, you then need to think about how much memory capacity you have though and if anything of interest will be overwritten before you get a chance to view it
want to know if there's a dash cam that runs off motion detection or impact detection without it being buffered where it is running 24/7 to reduce power consumption that can run off a 15000-20000 mAh power bank. with a profile to where it can mount on a vertical window such as the side windows, not the windshields.

want to know if there's a dash cam that runs off motion detection or impact detection without it being buffered where it is recording 24/7 to reduce power consumption that can run off a 15000-20000 mAh power bank.

motion detect in standby is a negligible difference in power consumption, it's not the answer

motion detect in standby is a negligible difference in power consumption, it's not the answer
is there anything on the market that can really be a solution to my needs for recording for 2-3 days with parking mode to only save the clips of movement or impacts?

not really, a camera outside looking at the car would be the best way, that's not always possible though

even if you had something that gave you the time you need a front and rear cam isn't going to show someone hitting your doors, even if you know it's happening you wouldn't have video to prove it

Is there any dashcams/power bank combination that can record for 2-3 days on motion or impact mode. I live in an apartment building with a shared underground garage and I have a neighbor that is dinging my door constantly.(talking to them is not an option cause I have already done so and more dents have occurred after) I'm currently running a blackvue DR650S-2CH along with cellink B but with a full charge, it only last about 22 hours of parking mode motion detection recording. I'm looking for a low power drawing dashcam that has parking mode combined with power banks that I can charge at home and swap out every 2-3 days, so it can be mounted on my door so its pointed at my neighbor's car to catch any door dents they will cause in the future. Any recommendations would great, however, I am not trying to spend more than 300 dollars.

Recently, as a test I ran an SG9665GC (V1) capturing full time video using two different 20,000 mAh powerbanks just to see how long they would operate the camera. Both banks had already been in service for quite some time so their performane may not reflect that of a brand new battery bank. With one bank the camera ran 44.2 hours and with the other slightly newer bank I got just about 52 hours. According to the DCT recording time calculator with a 128GB memory card and a bit rate of 12Mbps you could record full time video for 24.3 hours. That's not quite the 2-3 days you are looking for but swapping out a battery bank once every 24 hours in exchange for full time recording might not be a bad compromise. I haven't tried motion detect because I'm not a fan of the technique but run time may be significantly longer. There are of course, much higher capacity power banks available at reasonable cost and with a camera that can handle a 256GB memory card you might be able to achieve what you are after. Both of my power bands cost less than 25 dollars each.

Depending on where you place the camera in your vehicle and where and how you park your car you may well be able to capture what you need.

not really, a camera outside looking at the car would be the best way, that's not always possible though

even if you had something that gave you the time you need a front and rear cam isn't going to show someone hitting your doors, even if you know it's happening you wouldn't have video to prove it
the thing is I'm not planning to mount this dash cam to the front or the back. I'm planning to run a whole other setup mounted to the window of my door from the inside and have it pointed directly at my neighbor's car when i am parked and unplug everything when I'm not parked in my garage. management will not allow me to mount any cameras in the underground facility so the only option is to put it inside my car.

the thing is I'm not planning to mount this dash cam to the front or the back. I'm planning to run a whole other setup mounted to the window of my door from the inside and have it pointed directly at my neighbor's car when i am parked and unplug everything when I'm not parked in my garage. management will not allow me to mount any cameras in the underground facility so the only option is to put it inside my car.

maybe look at buying yourself a camera that supports timelapse, a large power bank and large memory card

might get an extra 20 minutes, power consumption differences are very small

Yeah, that's what I figured and why I used the phrase "run time may be significantly longer". Obviously, the camera is still powered up using motion detection in this manner. I prefer full time video for parking mode anyway. (and four camera coverage)

maybe look at buying yourself a camera that supports timelapse, a large power bank and large memory card
I don't think a time lapse will capture the impact of a door hitting my door panel. I'm going to need sound if I want proof of them damaging my car.

might get an extra 20 minutes, power consumption differences are very small
one of the reason I want motion detection is some dash cams keep the motion recorded or impact detected files in a separate folder where they won't be overwritten.

I don't think a time lapse will capture the impact of a door hitting my door panel. I'm going to need sound if I want proof of them damaging my car.

one of the reason I want motion detection is some dash cams keep the motion recorded or impact detected files in a separate folder where they won't be overwritten.

forget motion detect, you're more likely to miss something, get something like a Mobius with a couple of 128gb cards and more than one power bank and just swap the cards and power banks out daily until you get what you want, there's going to have to be some manual intervention if you want something to cover you for days at a time

forget motion detect, you're more likely to miss something, get something like a Mobius with a couple of 128gb cards and more than one power bank and just swap the cards and power banks out daily until you get what you want, there's going to have to be some manual intervention if you want something to cover you for days at a time
im fine with swapping out the power banks on a daily basis but I'm not trying to comb through hours of footage where their car is just parked in the spot overnight or their car isn't there during the day when they are at work. i won't have enough storage on my computer to even hold all the footage. motion detection will show me when they pulled in and when they pull out since their car will move and trigger an event.

im fine with swapping out the power banks on a daily basis but I'm not trying to comb through hours of footage where their car is just parked in the spot overnight or their car isn't there during the day when they are at work. i won't have enough storage on my computer to even hold all the footage. motion detection will show me when they pulled in and when they pull out since their car will move and trigger an event.

you wouldn't bother checking footage unless there was a new dent, if you want to rely on motion detect to save you the trouble you're just as likely to miss what you want to capture anyway, full time recording is the surest way to capture what's happening

Recently, as a test I ran an SG9665GC (V1) capturing full time video using two different 20,000 mAh powerbanks just to see how long they would operate the camera. Both banks had already been in service for quite some time so their performane may not reflect that of a brand new battery bank. With one bank the camera ran 44.2 hours and with the other slightly newer bank I got just about 52 hours. According to the DCT recording time calculator with a 128GB memory card and a bit rate of 12Mbps you could record full time video for 24.3 hours. That's not quite the 2-3 days you are looking for but swapping out a battery bank once every 24 hours in exchange for full time recording might not be a bad compromise. I haven't tried motion detect because I'm not a fan of the technique but run time may be significantly longer. There are of course, much higher capacity power banks available at reasonable cost and with a camera that can handle a 256GB memory card you might be able to achieve what you are after. Both of my power bands cost less than 25 dollars each.

Depending on where you place the camera in your vehicle and where and how you park your car you may well be able to capture what you need.
Any recommendations on which battery packs you use?

Blueskysea B1W, has a separate folder with space reserved for impact detection, records decent quality at low bitrate, uses a little less power than most dashcams, has fairly sensitive impact detection and is cheap. It will run for a little over 2 days on a 20,000mAh powerbank, and you can chain two powerbanks to give you 4 days (plug the output of one into the charging port of the second and plug the output of the second into the camera, the first will empty first, then the second).

If you are looking for a cheap powerbank then look at the Poweradd X7, seems decent quality and uses 18650 lithium manganese cells so needs to get quite hot before it will burst into flames unlike the ones that use lipo cells. Don't recommend it for mid summer mid day temperatures but safe enough in an underground garage. I just did a quick test on mine and it seemed happy to power a camera while chained with another powerbank.

A B1W side-facing camera might suit your needs. I have mine installed in a side window, which is easy to do with its rotating mount. The video is 12Mbps and power consumption is low in continuous record mode. A 20000mAh powerbank should get you 48hours plus a bit spare. It has impact detection so it can save notable events into a different folder. It does not have motion detection, but as suggested above I would not rely on that to catch the event anyway.
img_20180406_091206-jpg.37357

A B1W side-facing camera might suit your needs. I have mine installed in a side window, which is easy to do with its rotating mount. The video is 12Mbps and power consumption is low in continuous record mode. A 20000mAh powerbank should get you 48hours plus a bit spare. It has impact detection so it can save notable events into a different folder. It does not have motion detection, but as suggested above I would not rely on that to catch the event anyway.
img_20180406_091206-jpg.37357
I just noticed that your heater wires have an empty square for mounting your dashcam in on the lower left side - you didn't use it !

I just noticed that your heater wires have an empty square for mounting your dashcam in on the lower left side - you didn't use it !
That's very forward-thinking of Mazda in 2010 to include an aperture for a side-facing camera :)
On the other side of the car they left the whole window free of those pesky heater wires...:unsure:

Back