Looking for a long-lasting dashcam

mlb1999

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new dashcam and am looking for some advice. I currently have a Motorola MDC500GW, which I've now had for the best part of two years. It has been a great little camera but unfortunately the date and time keep on resetting (presumably a failed battery) and so I cannot rely on recordings being saved. My previous camera, a Nextbase, died in the same way.

I'm looking for a new camera that ideally has the ability to view footage from my phone and covers both front and rear, ideally without the need to run wires round to the back of the car or hardwire the camera (my current Motorola has a rear-view cam built into the main camera with no need to install in the back of the car - I only have a small city car so find this adequate). Most importantly, I want a camera that will last longer than a year or two!

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Most importantly, I want a camera that will last longer than a year or two!
Then don't buy one with a lithium battery!

Most rear view cameras mount on the rear window, so require a cable. The view from there is much better, so worth the extra effort.

To view footage from the camera on the phone just requires one with Wi-Fi, which most have these days, but do check the specifications. If you want the footage accessible remotely over the internet then you need cloud functionality, but none of the cameras that have that are very good, best to just go for the wifi functionality unless you have a specific problem that requires remote viewing.

This is getting a bit out of date, due to the time of year, but it's worth a look to help decide what features you want, before asking for opinions:

Back