Power Magic Pro won't power dashcam

rclarke80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Installed my dashcam and power magic pro today but there's power going into the PMP with ignition off and ignition on, but yet the LED doesn't light up now the dashcam power up. The output wires to the dashcam are showing no or very little power? The earth seems to be grounded ok but is this likely to be the problem or something wrong with the PMP. Input voltages are both around 24v.

Thanks in advance,

Rich.

At on point I'm sure I did, would that make any difference though if its already drawing 24v from the van battery? PMP set to 12v.

At on point I'm sure I did, would that make any difference though if its already drawing 24v from the van battery? PMP set to 12v.

if you have it set to 12v with 24v in it would be off, that would be a very flat battery from the PMP's perspective

I would have thought it was reasonably clear that you set the voltage IN according to your vehicles voltage. EG if its 12 set it to 12 if its 24 Well I ask you

Also tried it on 24v, still same results.

Have you started the car as already asked

Where did you earth it USe a meter and check if there is a circuit btween your earth point and a door hinge or similar definite body part

You seem to be missing the point of the PMP. On a 12V system with the PMP set to 12V, it will not start the BV unless the voltage is quite a bit above 12V because it is designed to switch OFF the cam at 12V. Hence the suggestion to start the engine to get the voltage up to 13.8V (or whatever the 24V equivalent is). For 12V in your case, read 24V.

Set the PMP to 24V and start the engine. It will then work. (provided that you have the red and yellow wire connected correctly and the black wire to a good earthing point.)

Thanks for the advice so far guys, much appreciated.

I've been out tonight, PMP set to 23.2v, engine running.

Testing the input into the PMP with the ground on the input I get 27.7v on the yellow cable, 27.6v on the red cable. But output to the cig adapter to plug my dashcam into I only get 2.4v. Dashcam doesn't power on. It does when put power cable into cig lighter socket on the dashboard.

Am I still missing something or do I have a iffy PMP?

if you have it set to 12v with 24v in it would be off, that would be a very flat battery from the PMP's perspective
That doesn't sound right to me. If you set it to 12V then the input voltage drops to 12V or below, the PMP will switch OFF the BV. If the input voltage is above 12V then the PMP will switch ON and the BV will be powered. So if the PMP is set to 12V and 24V applied to it, then the input voltage sure as hell is above 12V so the PMP should switch ON and thus power the BV.

Am I still missing something or do I have a iffy PMP?
Providing that you have a good earth to the PMP, then it seems possible.
Use your meter to check between the outer of the PMP ciggy adaptor and a good earth. It should of course read 0V or very close to that. If it reads 23od V, then you have an open circuit earth to the PMP.

Providing that you have a good earth to the PMP, then it seems possible.
Use your meter to check between the outer of the PMP ciggy adaptor and a good earth. It should of course read 0V or very close to that. If it reads 23od V, then you have an open circuit earth to the PMP.

Reading 0V.

He just did. It's OK.
I'm out of ideas now. Sorry.

If there was no ground to the PMP, the earthy voltage would be the same as the live voltage. The whole cabudle would 'float' at the supply voltage. If he checked from the outer of the ciggy thingy to a known good earth and got 0V then the earth is OK. That was my reasoning, but I forgot to say have it powered.

@rclarke80
I assume that you did have the PMP powered when you did the check? I forgot to say that.
As you have a meter, I assume that you would have done a continuity check between the PMP output earth and the chassis of the car?

Other than that, I'm still out of ideas.

Yes PMP powered on, and will double check output earth and chassis in the morning. I'm going to a pick another PMP up tomorrow afternoon to double check that isn't the issue. I will report back tomorrow.

Thanks again for the advice.

Do you have a 12V system that you can try it on?

I do an earth test with OHMS not voltage And as already mentioned TURN THE ENGINE ON and test it. Try a meter from earth wire to a door hinge is a good place to check Scratch probe onto bare metal

An interesting thread.. but curious as to what type of vehicle the OP is trying to get this to work on. Certainly there are 24 volt (and really old 6 volt) systems but most vehicles are nominally 12 v. If the OP is seeing 24 volt readings from a "normal" ~12 volt system there is some magic happening.

Back