Power Magic Pro won't power dashcam

An interesting thread.. but curious as to what type of vehicle the OP is trying to get this to work on. Certainly there are 24 volt (and really old 6 volt) systems but most vehicles are nominally 12 v. If the OP is seeing 24 volt readings from a "normal" ~12 volt system there is some magic happening.
Could be in a truck or a bus Most are 24v and yes if in a car, most unusual but as usual half the info needed to give a sensible answer

I do an earth test with OHMS not voltage And as already mentioned TURN THE ENGINE ON and test it.
Using an OHM meter on a live circuit is not a good idea (for either the meter's health or a meaningful result), which is why I suggested measuring for any voltage between the PMP output and the car's chassis. Either test is valid with the applied voltage switched OFF (for Ohmmeter) and ON (for Voltmeter) for each test.

.... but as usual half the info needed to give a sensible answer
What other info do you need? His vehicle has a 24V system and he gets no output from the PMP.

Using an OHM meter on a live circuit is not a good idea (for either the meter's health or a meaningful result), which is why I suggested measuring for any voltage between the PMP output and the car's chassis. Either test is valid with the applied voltage switched OFF (for Ohmmeter) and ON (for Voltmeter) for each test.

What other info do you need? His vehicle has a 24V system and he gets no output from the PMP.

He doesnt say what vehicle it is, is what I meant so he could have it set wrong depending on the vehicle

And I always use Ohms to check an earth Perhaps I should clarify as I didnt explain well If using a bolt in dash I use meter from it to a hinge or another part of car that is definitely chassis connected so that I know the said bolt is actually earthed and not just connected to plastic under there. I did say that originally but was late at night when I misposted the second time

Last edited:
If using a bolt in dash I use meter from it to a hinge or another part of car that is definitely chassis connected so that I know the said bolt is actually earthed and not just connected to plastic under there
Yes, that does happen.:( I have been caught out on that (just the once).:eek:

Sorry, late update. Its a transit custom van. Tried new PMP with current wiring, works a treat. Not sure what the problem is with the PMP but clearly that.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated and learnt quite a lot more about this subject than I previously knew.

Back