Removing SD card while powered. Safe or not?

WeedeaterDM

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Starting a collection
I like to remove my SD car once in a while to transfer videos. It is a pain unplugging the power and plugging it back in each time I swap cards. I have been thinking about cutting off the plastic cover in order to remove the card without unplugging the power. If I do this, I could install a power switch if it is bad to remove it powered. But I am one that would forget to turn the switch back on.

It is unwise to remove a memory card from a dash camera that is powered ON. You risk corrupting the files on the card as well as possibly damaging the memory card itself.

^^^ totally agree - almost certain to cause some corruption at a minimum.

Guess I'll do the switch install. I remember seeing a post someplace on this forum where someone installed a simple plug in switch. Won't be hard for me to find. Thanks for the input.

What's difficult about unplugging the power connector? Must be easier than wiring in a switch.
The really fiddly bit is getting the card in and out isn't it?

What's difficult about unplugging the power connector? Must be easier than wiring in a switch.
The really fiddly bit is getting the card in and out isn't it?

The plug is very tight going in and out. I am always afraid of bending or breaking something. With the cover flipped out of the way and the power plugged in, the sd card is not much more difficult to remove than it already is. I like how the thinkware has a power button and easy card access.

Weedeater,
Power and Recording might be the confusion point here.
Removing an SD card while data is being written (recording) WILL result in an incomplete file on the card.
This MAY corrupt the directory and make the card unusable.
Power on but the device is not accessing the card should not be a problem.
Best to turn off the device with the power cord still connected as the cord connected to the vehicle provides some static protection via the ground return.

Weedeater,
Removing an SD card while data is being written (recording) WILL result in an incomplete file on the card.
Power on but the device is not accessing the card should not be a problem.
Best to turn off the device with the power cord still connected as the cord connected to the vehicle provides some static protection via the ground return.

I'm not 100% sure if this camera has a physical ON/OFF switch.

Does it have a 'non recording' mode?

I already know it can mess up a file if removed during recording, that is common sense. I was just worried about if it could damage something, like the card or the camera. Decided I am going to install a switch for when I change out cards.

I'm not 100% sure if this camera has a physical ON/OFF switch.

So far the Blackvue cameras I have looked at have not had a built in power button. That is one of the very few features I like about the Thinkware. The other is easy card access.

Does it have a 'non recording' mode?

Anytime the Blackvue is powered, it is recording. It may not be writing to the card every second, but there is no way to tell when it is not. So I'll be installing a switch

Not in any kind of hurry. The Jeep is only used on the weekends right now to go shopping. The 128gb card can handle 30 plus hours.

If you really want to take the cover off and leave the card slot exposed then you can take it out without removing the power cable. If you have the ignition off the camera will be turned off anyway so whats the problem.
If you have a Power Magic turn it off also Problem solved

Tell us how the camera is powerd and we will know the correct solution

If you really want to take the cover off and leave the card slot exposed then you can take it out without removing the power cable. If you have the ignition off the camera will be turned off anyway so whats the problem.
If you have a Power Magic turn it off also Problem solved

Problem already solved, the plan is to remove the cover so I don't have to unplug the power. Then install a switch because I am not removing the glove box each time I want to turn it off at the PMP.

Back