Go Pro 7

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
What do you think.

Very cool for the black version! And just wonder if EIS or OIS for its video stabilization?

It seems to be an expensive firmware upgrade to the Hero 6! The hardware is the same, except for a little extra memory.

The only big improvement I see is that they have managed to get the EIS to work at 4K 60fps, which does give them an advantage over everyone else, for now.

The rest is mainly marketing, their previous EIS did not work very well, the new version works better, so the marketing department (ie GoPro) have called it hyper smooth! We have yet to see if the customers can get it to work as well as the GoPro marketing videos...

So this "gimbal-like" stabilization in its ad. should be software function!

Yeah i think the improved stabilization are all in the software, not even sure you could combine EIS and OIS in the same product if you wanted to.
Price also still out of my reach / will, for that kind of money i think i would prefer to spend even more and upgrade my Dslr or buy a regular camcorder as camera size are seldom a issue.

Only wish i have from the gopros are still 1080/ 240

So this "gimbal-like" stabilization in its ad. should be software function!
Yes, it is all software, done with EIS, and only a 4K sensor, so there are no spare pixels for EIS to use, so 4K videos with EIS must be lower real resolution, and looking at the demo videos, maybe they were done at 1080 so that there were plenty of spare pixels, otherwise it would be hard to get that much stabilisation. It will be interesting to see what the customers can manage when they try to use 4K 60fps EIS on their mountain bikes...

not even sure you could combine EIS and OIS in the same product if you wanted to.
Yes, you can, OIS is good to keep the sensor stable and remove the motion blur from camera shake which EIS can not do, but it is hard for OIS to move fast enough to remove rolling shutter jello or to rotate the sensor to correct roll, so some OIS systems leave the rolling shutter and roll correction to EIS. Also OIS often can only do small movements, EIS can do much bigger corrections so EIS does what the OIS can't but it is still worth using the OIS so that it can remove the motion blur and give the EIS a sharp image to work with.

Neither OIS or EIS can do what a gimbal does, if you rotate the camera mount 90 degrees then the camera can no longer see forwards so it is impossible for it to correct the view, but with a gimbal the gimbal can rotate to keep the camera facing exactly forwards. GoPro's EIS is a long way from doing the same as a gimbal. But a gimbal mounted on a mountain bike does not give a good result!

laughed my ass of the GP7 now supporting vertical video, now it is sure we will never get rid of that abominating format.

I have seen "hybrid OIS" but i never bothered to read into it as it are not on things i can afford to get this side of a major lotto win.

Vertical video is to appeal to the markets where it's the dominant format, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, given the streaming capabilities they'd be crazy not to have this

I have seen "hybrid OIS" but i never bothered to read into it as it are not on things i can afford to get this side of a major lotto win.
MEMS OIS is the next step, then we can forget about EIS, but I think it will take a few more years to get that in an action camera.

Vertical video is to appeal to the markets where it's the dominant format, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, given the streaming capabilities they'd be crazy not to have this
We are all going to have to turn our monitors and TVs on their sides sooner or later! How long before the TV broadcasters start broadcasting sideways video?

Different market, the bulk of the content they're targetting is being consumed on mobile devices, might not be mine or your preferred format but it's the reality of the market right now

Indeed.
I took a closer look at the huge stash of background babes i have for my phone, and 95% at least are geared towards the phone screen format, and the last 5% you have to tilt the phone 90 degrees to enjoy.
So i am concluding there are a lot of one hand on phone / one hand on,,,, that other thing going on :)

here there is a nice comparison, also against a gimbal

I somehow feel footage with no bump or shake at all to it are a little spooky to watch, it just feel unnatural to me.
Dont get me wrong if you dont have any EIS /OIS or gimbal it is even worse, but when every bump are gone and its just like a drone / sky cam just floating along it do get a little weird to me.

But it is cool none the less, would love to get a GP7 and strap it to one of the small RC cars that have a quite bumpy ride even if the speed are not great.

I somehow feel footage with no bump or shake at all to it are a little spooky to watch, it just feel unnatural to me.
Dont get me wrong if you dont have any EIS /OIS or gimbal it is even worse, but when every bump are gone and its just like a drone / sky cam just floating along it do get a little weird to me.

But it is cool none the less, would love to get a GP7 and strap it to one of the small RC cars that have a quite bumpy ride even if the speed are not great.
Yes, you can definitely have the stabilisation too smooth, and then I can get motion sickness watching the video! If you would experience bumps in real life then the video should be bumpy, but not too bumpy.

GoPro isn’t averse to marketing big talk, once calling its Karma Grip “Hollywood-calibre stabilisation in a backpack”.
And true to form, it’s come out with some similarly big claims for its new flagship GoPro Hero 7 Black action camera.

GoPro founder Nick Woodman told us that the Hero 7 Black has “the best in-camera video stabilisation ever, in any camera”.
He didn’t stop there either, calling HyperSmooth stabilisation “the biggest innovation and advancement in our category since high definition”, and “the biggest value add that we’ve ever built into a GoPro”. Understatement sold separately, then.
Read more at https://www.trustedreviews.com/news...chinese-imitators-3584812#KZtyEImdvqkeDlPY.99

he called it the gimbal killer in another interview, the stabiliser stuff is nice but the improved audio is the biggest advance so far, their audio has sucked forever

he called it the gimbal killer in another interview.
I guess he wont be selling many more of his Karma Grip in the future then!

the stabiliser stuff is nice but the improved audio is the biggest advance so far, their audio has sucked forever
Good audio is difficult, our brains pick up more information from sound than from video, but there is a lot less data to process so they ought to be able to sort it with "the power of their GP1 processor"!

However, most people still seem to destroy the soundtrack on their action videos with inappropriate music instead of demanding the very best surround sound built into their GoPro Hero!

The brand new Hero 7 still has no support for surround sound or Bluetooth microphones so that you are stuck with the internal waterproof mic., which still doesn't have great sound due to the water proofing. Or you can plug in a the huge and expensive digital adaptor for analogue microphones and have it hanging off the side of the camera.

Good audio is difficult, our brains pick up more information from sound than from video, but there is a lot less data to process so they ought to be able to sort it with "the power of their GP1 processor"!

was a hardware change that fixed the audio, not the processor, the difference in quality is very obvious when you hear them side by side

I think that grip and quadcopter already flopped as big as one could expect.
Regarding sound, if it really mattered to me in my production i would be using a shotgun microphone, but sound are most often something i remove or cover with music.

Back