Go Pro 7

I'm not that impressed. Flat protune doesn't look bad colour wise compared to previous versions which were totally washed out (it is made for grading so we can't really complain, it's Pro for a reason). However, I noticed in the garden, the highlights on the picnic table were blown out. In hyper mode, running around the table, there were several places I noticed artefacts around the edge of the table - GoPro or YT?

Overall, nothing in the picture I've seen blows me away from a positive perspective or makes me think it's any better than the competition / Hero 6 by any worthwhile amount.

Although I wasn't sure at the time, the Fusion still appears a good direction for them to be going in but what's needed in my opinion, is more resolution as the pixels are spread over a large area which reduces density and quality of video + a better lens for less distortion (although it's surprisingly good for the angles involved). But the biggest issues is price. Yi and others have the PQ quality close on the regular cams for a 3rd the price and GoPro have had quality issues with the hardware in the past - my own Hero 2 went back for an exchange after only a year. In the past there have been reports of lockups and overheating of some cameras. High price, not enough PQ difference and some questions on reliability, don't make for high sales in my opinion. I've owned a GoPro but for the price, I'd probably buy a Yi 4K+ or another similar camera instead of GoPro were I in the market. If GoPro want me to GoPro they'd need something that returns groundbreaking PQ that others can't match.

Vertical video is to appeal to the markets where it's the dominant format, Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, given the streaming capabilities they'd be crazy not to have this
Dcrainmaker has done two classy videos of the 7. He said WiFi or smart phone hot spot is needed to live stream

I'm not that impressed. Flat protune doesn't look bad colour wise compared to previous versions which were totally washed out (it is made for grading so we can't really complain, it's Pro for a reason). However, I noticed in the garden, the highlights on the picnic table were blown out. In hyper mode, running around the table, there were several places I noticed artefacts around the edge of the table - GoPro or YT?

Overall, nothing in the picture I've seen blows me away from a positive perspective or makes me think it's any better than the competition / Hero 6 by any worthwhile amount.

Although I wasn't sure at the time, the Fusion still appears a good direction for them to be going in but what's needed in my opinion, is more resolution as the pixels are spread over a large area which reduces density and quality of video + a better lens for less distortion (although it's surprisingly good for the angles involved). But the biggest issues is price. Yi and others have the PQ quality close on the regular cams for a 3rd the price and GoPro have had quality issues with the hardware in the past - my own Hero 2 went back for an exchange after only a year. In the past there have been reports of lockups and overheating of some cameras. High price, not enough PQ difference and some questions on reliability, don't make for high sales in my opinion. I've owned a GoPro but for the price, I'd probably buy a Yi 4K+ or another similar camera instead of GoPro were I in the market. If GoPro want me to GoPro they'd need something that returns groundbreaking PQ that others can't match.
I found an issue with my Yi 4k+:when voice is "on" the camera takes uncommanded photos , repeating the sequence every few minutes with camera on the table watching it! Yi replaced the cam , but the second failed the same way . Their customer support Adam Ding , promises a fw patch! I'm not holding my breath!

When the sales remain flat ,like session and 6, they'll drop the asking price!

That huge , stupid external dongle you have to buy for an external Mic.is a nuclear drag!

who would own a GoPro7 and not have a smart phone?
I have a mobius maxi and a tracphone that has a small screen and real buttons are pushed to dial numbers.
What is a smart phone needed for? That is what a computer is for. Go away from home and leave the phone behind.

Watched this when 1st released at the beginning of this year. I can't comment on the accuracy of anything he says, but brilliant analysis based on the "facts" as he presents them.

Last edited:
gopro_usb-c_mic_adapter_camera.jpg

That huge , stupid external dongle you have to buy for an external Mic.is a nuclear drag!
I often use an external ADC slightly bigger than that with my Gitup F1 action camera. It's far more convenient though, it's called a Gitup Git2 and comes with it's own battery and SD card so that you don't have to dongle it off the main camera and leave the main camera door open and spoil the weather proofing, doesn't make the camera unusable in a gimbal, and allows you to place the external stereo microphones away from the main camera in a more suitable location for audio (eg on the person doing the talking so that he can use a tie clip microphone without needing wires to the main camera), and it will even record a second video from a different viewpoint which can make the edited video far more watchable. They only cost a little more than that GoPro dongle!

If you own Gopro hero 6, are the features of the 7 worth buying another camera? If you are camera-less the hero 7 looks attractive, right?
Wouldn't they have more buyers If the cameras had a 1/4x20 tripod
thread in bottom?

Remember Gopro firmware 1.55, designed to strip owners of the use of cheap batteries by unauthorized manufacturers?
I think the aforementioned ADC dongle serves similar purposes.

If you own Gopro hero 6, are the features of the 7 worth buying another camera? If you are camera-less the hero 7 looks attractive, right?
Wouldn't they have more buyers If the cameras had a 1/4x20 tripod
thread in bottom?
I would guess that gopro wanted a unique mounting solution to allow them to sell overpriced gopro mounts.
If you break the gopro mount adapter built into the camera you will have to buy a new case if you can find one or more likely you will end up buying a new camera.
You can buy an adapter to go from gopro mount to a thread mount for more $$$.

I can see having a threaded base with a slot allowing a gopro type adapter fitting to fit in with a 1/4" thread sitting in the middle of the slot. This way any user could use a gopro type mount or a thread mount as their needs dictate without adding unnecessary height or wiggles.

Back