Gopro 7 black as CCTV

demosethell

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
thinkin on buying a gopro 7 back to fix it in my window and use it as a security cam to record my parking lot. What do you think?

I was hopping to use the stream feature to stream 24 hours in 4K 60FPS to youtube, so every single bit of video would be saved. Regarding power, pluging it to a usb wall charger so it wouldnt run out of power.

Do you think it would work? Is it good for a second floor to catch a licence plate? (probably needed to digitally zoom)

I doubt the wide angle lens on a GoPro can read many number plates from the second floor. Surely there must be a cheaper and better way to record & stream video of your parking lot?

Don't think it can stream 4K anyway.

And it doesn't have loop recording for when you give up on the streaming!

Don't think it can stream 4K anyway.

And it doesn't have loop recording for when you give up on the streaming!
the maingoal is stream directly to youtube so no need of record looping

I doubt the wide angle lens on a GoPro can read many number plates from the second floor. Surely there must be a cheaper and better way to record & stream video of your parking lot?
cant find anything

Fo the price of a GP7 you could easily get four capable IP cameras and a few terabytes of storage.

Why do you want to stream to Youtube? If something happens you need a recording, not a livestream

Livestreaming from a GoPro through a cell phone wouldn't be reliable anyway

Why do you want to stream to Youtube? If something happens you need a recording, not a livestream

Livestreaming from a GoPro through a cell phone wouldn't be reliable anyway
because youtube saves all streams and there is no limit. It will stream via home wifi.

can't see you getting away with it forever, they'd kick you off eventually, a proper DVR with local storage is still going to be a better solution

can't see you getting away with it forever, they'd kick you off eventually, a proper DVR with local storage is still going to be a better solution
Its not really agains their policy. There are youtubers with waaaaay more footage time in their channels

they may be creating content of some sort, just filming your parking lot isn't going to bring any advertising revenue for YouTube, ever notice that the channels with big subscribers/views are much better quality than the ones without

Yes i do think youtube have something in their terms of use to cover this, and if they have not then they will soon.
A purpose build DVR / NVR you can always access from your phone if you put it online, i can do that with mine if i plug it into the router with internet.
I think you can sven set up notofications / alarms so you get a MSG in some way if something happen, in any way much smarter than just saving it all, though my NVR also do that but at least i know where to look if i had a event.

yes i think 1000 Subscribers and you suddenly get the royal treatment by youtube, cuz then they also start to make money.

you can also make a true CCTV camera be steaming outside of youtube, but if you want the footage to be saved you have to do so yourself.
But as Jokiin say a steam of a parking lot are only half way interesting for the people living there, and in which case a single WIFI camera will be much better.

Also if you spend money on a proper camera you can set it to automatic track and zoom on people / cars moving around in the area, this will stand a much batter chance than a wide angle action camera where you can only tell people apart from the clothe they wear on a distance.
Get a proper and also very expensive 4K smart CCTV camera, and you can just about scan the retina of every person moving within 40 M and who are not wearing sunglasses.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
George Maharis Home Security, Surveillance Cameras, IP Cams, CCTV 2