Truck factory dash cam video

There's one water battery setup in the US, and I thought a smaller one in NY state, but can't find it.

The system is used differently according to where it is a located and on the particular requirements. Many locations (including a local one I've visited on several occasions) work much as you decribe in the UK. While useful, pumped hydro storage is a methodology dating back to the nineteenth century that is inefficient in that it requires energy for pumping vast quantities of water. Twenty first century electric grids will require greater scale and efficiency and be needed in locations where the proper terrain and water supply won't accommodate such systems.
Remember that at times we have a lot of excess wind power that is just wasted if it is not stored, efficient storage is not necessary when the power is essentially free and completely clean.

The coal out of the open pit mines is pretty low grade, and the underground miners back east are kind of scratching their head at why trump hasn't resurrected their industry. Some new nuke plants have recently been licensed, so that may pick up again in the US.

Yeah everything are offshore here too, but you can still get a permission to put up a mill on land, but not as easy to do as in the golden age.

This is what we have going now. ( offshore )
  • Tunø Knob (1995) location /year 10 møller / turbines, 5 MW
  • Middelgrunden (2000) 20 møller, 40 MW
  • Horns Rev I (2002) 80 møller, 160 MW
  • Rønland (2003) 8 møller, 17,2 MW
  • Nysted (2003) 72 møller, 165,6 MW
  • Samsø (2003) 10 møller, 23 MW
  • Frederikshavn (2003) 3 møller, 7,6 MW
  • Horns Rev II (2009) 91 møller, 209,3 MW
  • Avedøre Holme (2009/10) 3 møller, 10,8 MW
  • Sprogø (2009) 7 møller, 21 MW
  • Rødsand II (2010) 90 møller, 207 MW
  • Anholt (2013) 111 møller, 399,6 MW
  • Horns Rev 3 (2019) 49 møller; 400 MW
These have permissions to go up.

• Horns Rev 3 (2020) 400 MW
  • Kriegers Flak 600 MW
  • Kystnære havmølleparker (Vesterhav Nord og Syd) 350 MW
  • Nissum Bredning forsøgsmøller 28 MW
And these are projects currently being build.

• Omø Syd 200-320 MW
  • Jammerland Bugt 120 - 240 MW
  • Mejl Flak – 60-120 MW
  • Lillebælt Syd ?? MW
You have to remember Denmark are tiny, its like the people of London or NYC just putting up and paying for wind mills in the respective countruies

Last edited:
Remember that at times we have a lot of excess wind power that is just wasted if it is not stored, efficient storage is not necessary when the power is essentially free and completely clean.

It's not necessarily a bad system, it's just not going to meet the needs, scale and flexibility of the twenty first century going forward. And like I mentioned, it can only work in certain locations.

Anyway, the Northfield Mountain 1080 megawatt pumped hydro facility not far from where I live in an interesting place to visit and observe. It is the largest pumped hydro facility in the world. It's also a popular hiking, climbing and cross country skiing destination which is how I've come to have visited regularly. https://www.firstlightpower.com/ - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northfield_Mountain_(hydroelectricity_facility)

Last edited:
Yeah everything are offshore here too, but you can still get a permission to put up a mill on land, but not as easy to do as in the golden age.

This is what we have going now. ( offshore )
  • Tunø Knob (1995) location /year 10 møller / turbines, 5 MW
  • Middelgrunden (2000) 20 møller, 40 MW
  • Horns Rev I (2002) 80 møller, 160 MW
  • Rønland (2003) 8 møller, 17,2 MW
  • Nysted (2003) 72 møller, 165,6 MW
  • Samsø (2003) 10 møller, 23 MW
  • Frederikshavn (2003) 3 møller, 7,6 MW
  • Horns Rev II (2009) 91 møller, 209,3 MW
  • Avedøre Holme (2009/10) 3 møller, 10,8 MW
  • Sprogø (2009) 7 møller, 21 MW
  • Rødsand II (2010) 90 møller, 207 MW
  • Anholt (2013) 111 møller, 399,6 MW
  • Horns Rev 3 (2019) 49 møller; 400 MW
These have permissions to go up.

• Horns Rev 3 (2020) 400 MW
  • Kriegers Flak 600 MW
  • Kystnære havmølleparker (Vesterhav Nord og Syd) 350 MW
  • Nissum Bredning forsøgsmøller 28 MW
And these are projects currently being build.

• Omø Syd 200-320 MW
  • Jammerland Bugt 120 - 240 MW
  • Mejl Flak – 60-120 MW
  • Lillebælt Syd ?? MW
Hope you have some good export markets and power interconnectors, or you wont know what to do with it all!

Still small compared to our multiple 1.2GW farms, you should be able to make big profits selling it to Germany to replace their dirty coal if you think on a bigger scale.

Apparently we used some coal for producing electricity last night - after 18 days without, the coal plants are supposed to all be shut down permanently very soon.

I am voting for Denmark having a couple of nuke plants, of course the new and pretty much fool proof kind of nuclear power plant, otherwise i would not like one of those near me, cuz incompetence are ripe here.
It is a matter of being a realist, and i try not to wear my shades at night.

I am voting for Denmark having a couple of nuke plants, of course the new and pretty much fool proof kind of nuclear power plant, otherwise i would not like one of those near me, cuz incompetence are ripe here.
It is a matter of being a realist, and i try not to wear my shades at night.
Based on our new one, it is very expensive electricity compared to the wind power, so you are better off building twice as many wind turbines, and having far too much power most of the time but it still being cheaper! Must be able to find a use for all that unused wind power...

For today's election there have been much talk about putting up a whole lot more charging stations for EV, and also lower / remove tax on EV vehicles, as we sort of did once but that was for the high end like teslas, small EV regular sane people can buy you don't see often here, its Tesla or nothing.

Personally i think the 3/4 of the lowest priced EV vehicles should be free or close to that of tax ASO, and the luxury cars should be taxed harder as really its lux only rich people buy and those guys can afford to pay more.

Sitting here waiting for my parcel to arrive so i can go and cast my vote.

It's not necessarily a bad system, it's just not going to meet the needs, scale and flexibility of the twenty first century going forward. And like I mentioned, it can only work in certain locations.

Anyway, the Northfield Mountain 1080 megawatt pumped hydro facility not far from where I live in an interesting place to visit and observe. It is the largest pumped hydro facility in the world. It's also a popular hiking, climbing and cross country skiing destination which is how I've come to have visited regularly. https://www.firstlightpower.com/ - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northfield_Mountain_(hydroelectricity_facility)
Our new 1.5GW, 30GWh facility claims:

Pumped storage is also the most efficient of currently available storage technology, at up to 80%, and is able to store and flexibly provide reliable capacity over an extended period of time. Pumped storage can provide load balancing, facilitating the integration of variable renewable generation, as well as contributing to security of supply, through supporting a diversified energy system.

Our new 1.5GW, 30GWh facility claims:

What is your point here? I responded to @dash riposki's comment, "So how do you store the excess electricity? There's just no simple way, at this point." I responded by posting a few links about Tesla's Utility energy storage battery solution, yet here you are engaging in yet another extended, pointless and petty discussion over what are essentially irrelevant details. Again, the question raised was whether there is a way to store intermittent renewable energy.

As I pointed out, pumped storage certainly has its value but it requires the availability of specific terrain with huge amounts of available acreage to store vast quantities of water. Not every location around the world that requires load balancing will have such resources available, a point I've already made but that you conveniently ignore.

Fact is that hydro is not a particularly efficient energy storage technology. Any time you have to use electric power to pump vast quantities of water up hill to store electric power you are wasting energy even if it is worth the expenditure. Mass battery storage avoids such waste, requires far less maintenance and less man power to operate. It is also modular so it can be easily maintained and facilities can be efficiently expanded at will. Pumped storage facilities require many years to construct and require massive amounts of fossil fuel energy and manpower to accomplish. Tesla's massive power pack storage facilities can take as little as weeks or even just a few days to install depending on the size. Their large Australian facility took only a few months to construct start to finish.

Last edited:
I am wondering with those tesla power packs, why the individual packs making it up are not separated with some kind of firewall / bulkhead.
Then again i could imagine some intricate fire suppression system, maybe some inert gass + a foam, but really i have no idea whats best to use on these big batteries.

I am wondering with those tesla power packs, why the individual packs making it up are not separated with some kind of firewall / bulkhead.
Then again i could imagine some intricate fire suppression system, maybe some inert gass + a foam, but really i have no idea whats best to use on these big batteries.

The cells in Tesla's power packs are indeed firewall protected along with a special coolant system. There is also battery management software that monitors and controls performance at the individual cell level, the pod level (bundle of cells) and full pack level. The software remotely communicates with and alerts the system administer(s) of any conditions or events of concern.

I believe the idea is to avoid conditions that would allow a thermal runaway to occur in the first place and then to prevent fire from spreading if it does occur. I think there may be some kind of fire suppression system built into each unit but I'm not certain about that.

These utility grid batteries are pretty cool.....and they look well ventilated.
teslabattery.jpg

tesla2.jpg

Last edited:
I will take one of those "LEGO" power blocks for my personal grid based around my dream house, but that house will also have a hefty diesel generator cuz i am not putting all my eggs in one basket.
And i will take no subsidies for my grid cuz i would rather burn surplus power into heat than sell it via a connection to the grid everyone else are on, its for me and no one else.

I will take one of those "LEGO" power blocks for my personal grid based around my dream house, but that house will also have a hefty diesel generator cuz i am not putting all my eggs in one basket.
And i will take no subsidies for my grid cuz i would rather burn surplus power into heat than sell it via a connection to the grid everyone else are on, its for me and no one else.

I know what you mean, I lost power for several hours today up here on the mountain. That's why I heat with wood, along with an oil furnace, propane in certain buildings and have an 8kW propane fired stand-by generator with deep cycle battery lighting backup. I've lost power for as much as a week during severe ice storms.

Then again, a Tesla smart house would be pretty cool. The individual shingle tiles on this house are all part of the Tesla solar roof and they power everything including the cars and the Power Wall units.

tesla-solar-roof-powerwall-energy.jpg

Then again, a Tesla smart house would be pretty cool. The individual shingles on this house are all part of the Tesla solar roof and they power everything including the cars and the Power Wall units.
no good for you with the snow you get, cool technology though all the same, a great deal of locations could benefit from this

I would bet on both wind and solar if i got the chance.
My house would only be 120 SqM or so ( don't need much )
BUT ! the garage and workshop i would build would be significant larger, with all kinds of toys from CNC machines to a furnace so i can beat on read hot steel, and of course me i would also need to have a paint booth.
I would probably only be in the house to eat / sleep and clean up.

no good for you with the snow you get, cool technology though all the same, a great deal of locations could benefit from this

Not true! Solar installations are going gangbusters here. Huge arrays and rooftop set-ups are popping up everywhere. Many are community solar, otherwise called net metering, which means I can buy power from solar farms miles from house if I wish through a system worked out with the local power company and private solar firms. Snow doesn't seem to bother these panels very much. Snow tends to slide right off them and any that remains seems to melt very quickly.

A phenomenon over the last several years is that with the dairy industry declining in this largely agricultural state many dairy farmers have sold off their herds and have entered into agreements with solar companies to put up enormous solar farms in what had previously been pasture. The farmer makes good money from leasing their land and the land can be easily returned to agriculture at any time in the future. Several local farmers near my house have done this and the solar farms are awesome to behold. Another phenomenon that has also taken hold here is to convert old capped garbage landfills to giant solar arrays. They did that at our local waste management facility and it too is pretty impressive.It went online just about a year ago. I was just up there yesterday doing my recycling and it's also quite a sight to see.

Here is the local landfill site still under construction. Underneath is an old capped garbage landfill that is tapped for producing methane. Because the landfill is capped they had to secure the panels with giant buckets full of concrete that sit on top rather than driving pilings into the ground.
solar_construction.jpg

Here's another local array:
vermont_solar.jpg

Last edited:
Worlds largest hot water solar array ( in Denmark of course )
solvarme_silkeborg_overblik.jpg

This make hot water enough to supply around 4400 Danish households / houses, but its only 20% of the need in the whole municipality.

Not far from there, someone are planning building a even larger one, this one 42000 SqM, but also this will only amount to a 25% savings on the regular power / heating plants on fossil fuels.

The biggest electric array here are only 40MW, which are far from the big 5-600 MW ones elsewhere in the world, a 125 MW one are planned and will be build with 0 subsidies,,, which i really respect and like.

The month of May 2018 saw a record of 166 GWh made on solar here,
Experts say 70% of the Danish need for power could be supplied by sun alone if we wanted to.

Really up here sun are probably not the best option, but it is a okay way to put roofs ASO to good use instead to just be bare.

Last edited:
The month of May 2018 saw a record of 166 GWh made on solar here,
In June last year UK made 533 GWh from solar in one week, but it is a bit unreliable to the point I think the money would be better spent on extra wind turbines and storage.

Back